Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC Easter egg mode is awesome

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt

DSC Easter egg mode is awesome

Well I saw a post on here about activating the more aggressive mode of DSC by holding the button down for 10 seconds until the light goes out and have to say that it is awesome. This mode allows a tiny bit of wheel spin and in my estimate for the tail to come out by about 2 to 5 degrees before it kicks in and stabilizes the car. That to me is perfect. You can get on the gas in 2nd gear coming out of a corner and not have the fun kill light come on right away now! This feel like the stability control system in my old Boxster S. There to keep things safe but not to kill the fun of driving the car. It also feels like it does not retard the throttle as aggressively as the default mode. What a great free "mod" which makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive!

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Definitely man. I've been using it for canyon runs since I saw that thread and the result is amazing. The overactive power kill isn't there anymore so the grip I get in a corner is face ripping
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Q, if you read this does it work on ALL e39s? Mines 05/97 with ASC+T
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    No, I think only DSC-equipped cars do that.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    i dont think it works on my 98 528i. I prefer just to have it all the way off though. I like going 45 degrees out or so

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by legitsnowe39 View Post
    i dont think it works on my 98 528i. I prefer just to have it all the way off though. I like going 45 degrees out or so
    thats how I was with my e30 but i was only putting $2000 sideways on $70 tires. Now it would be $10k on $150 tires. cant risk it as much as I would like to
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    2000 540i/A
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman View Post
    thats how I was with my e30 but i was only putting $2000 sideways on $70 tires. Now it would be $10k on $150 tires. cant risk it as much as I would like to
    haha same.
    Used to go sideways on on ramps, and other risky corners...but that was back in the e28 days

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt
    The other thing is that the m62 really has a ton of power so with the DSC off completely you actually have to be careful. With the DSC on there was way too much power kill. With the middle mode it seems just right. A limited slip diff would also make the car a lot more fun because it would certainly raise the threshold at which the DSC needs to kick in.

My Cars
    E39, E46M
    A limited slip would also make oversteer more predictable. There's that slightly risky feeling in an open diff car.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    You guys with the DSC off like to take more risks than I with a car that is so easily totaled.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
    Q, if you read this does it work on ALL e39s? Mines 05/97 with ASC+T
    Someone with e39s with the early versions of ASC+T will have to verify by trying to activate it by pressing & holding the ASC button for 10 seconds to see if the light comes on, then goes off.

The EEM (easter egg mode) does work on my 97 e38 which has ASC+T(5)...and I believe the 6 cyl e39s had ASC+T(5), as well up to around 6/99 build date.

Just an FYI to those reading this...and as stated in the thread with the videos...this EEM (mode) appears to be an early (and hidden) pre-cursor of what became DTC (dynamic traction control) which lessens the normal ETR (engine throttle reduction) and allows more wheel slippage of ASC+T/DSC. Two things come from this...the ability for more spirited driving for things like track events...and the ability to spin the tires in deep snow with less interaction of ETR which helps the car to propel forward in those rare occasions ASC+T/DSC can keep the car in a standstill.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    bmw 540i 6 speed
    link to original thread?
    red 2006 ford mustang v6/5spd - sold
    silver 2002 E320 benz - sold
    blue 2001 clk320 benz - sold
    blue 2001 BMW 540i/6spd - DD

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodcat66 View Post
    link to original thread?
    You can click on my name (in the upper left)...you should then get a pull down menu...then click on "threads started by Qsilver7.

You should get a list of threads I started...and since I don't start very many threads...it should be right up top. The title of the thread is something like ASC+T/DSC Tests: ON/OFF/Easter Egg Mode
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    Maliboo
    Interesting. This does nothing in my '00 540ia.
    540i-sold, 325is-sold, Econo boat 2011 Civic-sold
    Car ADD
    Current death trap: 08 V6 Malibu

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
    Interesting. This does nothing in my '00 540ia.
    It's not clear what you mean by "nothing"...and what is it that your expecting from initiating it...if your car can? By "nothing" do you mean that when you hold & press the DSC button for 10 seconds...the traction control light doesn't come on, then go off? Or do you mean that you can't tell any difference with your traction control system if you do initiate the program after the press & hold of the DSC button?

As many of the discussions over the years...many have a misinterpretation of what it does. Even new BMW owners that have the DTC button on their dash are even perplexed as to what it does differently than DSC.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    I even found this mode more beneficial in snow and the like. Not quite sure what it changes, but keeps the car under control without killing all forward momentum. I dont know what exactly it does, but I like it nonetheless!

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    do you have to do it everytime you turn the car on and off?
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just like all traction control systems in BMWs (ASC/ASC+T/DSC/DTC) once you turn the car off and restarts...the car ALWAYS goes back to the default traction control system...which is ON for what ever system your car has.

Let me reiterate...it is similar to using DTC in the newer BMW models that have the DTC button on the dash. It is NOT meant for 100% of driving conditions...it is designed for SPECIFIC driving conditions....which is explained if you have an understanding of why BMW created DTC. IF you don't know what DTC is...then google "BMW DTC".

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), when a sportier driving style is desired. Only in critical situations and at higher speeds does DSC intervene. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system and allows increased wheel slip. DTC has two major uses:
    1. to regulate traction and
    2. to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.

If the front wheels are stuck in snow and cannot spin properly, this leads to slip on the rear wheels (when they spin faster than the front wheels, generally a sign that performance has been exceeded) and DSC acts to change engine output: the power needed for forward movement is reduced. Switching to DTC has a positive effect on this situation, as traction is improved without a loss of power.

When DTC is on, it helps the driver alleviate the situation enough for DSC's measures to become effective. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    I'm going to get laughed at for asking this but I still have to ask. I was always taught that the only stupid question was the one that was never asked.

I highly doubt it but, would this work on my M5... ?

My Cars
    01 LMB M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1 View Post
    I'm going to get laughed at for asking this but I still have to ask. I was always taught that the only stupid question was the one that was never asked.

I highly doubt it but, would this work on my M5... ?
    Yes it does. I tried it after reading about it from q's original post. I haven't really tested it yet though, but it does activate.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    i dont see why it wouldnt work on an M5
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1 View Post
    ....I was always taught that the only stupid question was the one that was never asked...would this work on my M5... ?
    If "doubt" was an issue if something worked or not...wouldn't pushing the button to see if you could initiate the "mode" remove (at least) part of that doubt?

"Doubt" was the very reason that wound up with me making the videos (did you click back to that thread to see what was the impetus for this thread?). The whole thing started in a thread that questioned if this "rumored" easter egg mode even existed. Some believed and some didn't.

So I thought that perhaps instead of seat of the pants opinions...that perhaps if a measurable test could be performed that could also be duplicated/replicated with the outcomes being the same (or averaged with the differences between the 3 modes being identifiable)...that perhaps that data/info would be indicative that the "rumored" EEM was actually real.

No one seemed to "step up" to the proposed test...and on a day that approx 2" of snow fell, and I was in an empty unplowed parking lot (and had a camera)...that I'd try to see if multiple launches in all three modes showed any differences...and could those differences be duplicated in each test.

My Cars
    '13 Audi S4, '99 528iA
    I held my ASC button on my '99 for 10 seconds and the lights blinked and went out. I dunno if it's easter egg mode or not. I thought so, but when others said their older e39s don't have it, maybe it isn't afterall.

I didn't notice a difference when trying to climb a hill in snow the other day. Dunno ??

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by blt4424 View Post
    I held my ASC button on my '99 for 10 seconds and the lights blinked and went out. I dunno if it's easter egg mode or not. I thought so, but when others said their older e39s don't have it, maybe it isn't afterall.

I didn't notice a difference when trying to climb a hill in snow the other day. Dunno ??
    Sometimes, you can't go by what other say if they really haven't explained why or how they came to their conclusion. For example, look how many think that they can't manually open their car doors or trunk when the battery is dead...and have to be prodded with multiple replies to go back and try again, and this time...turn the key in the lock cylinder COUNTER CLOCKWISE past the point that they normally turn the key that unlocks the door electronically. This is because they are fixated on the parameters that they are accustomed to...and not aware of the full movement of the lock cylinder even after being told how to do it.

As stated in post #20 above...this unofficial mode is like the newer BMWs that have the DTC button. If you read the forums where people who actually HAVE the DTC button and are confuzzled (confused/puzzled) as to how it works (when they have an actual description in their owners manual)...then consider that you may not have a full understanding of the parameters of regular ASC+T/DSC to compare when it functions in a reduced capacity.

Did you back down the hill to try again and then note the difference in how engine throttle was more restrictive with the system in default mode (on) versus the "easter egg mode" as you tried to climb the hill? If you didn't compare the two...then just to dismiss that it didn't do anything would be an incorrect assumption.

Again, it does NOT turn ASC+T/DSC completely off...but it lessens the intrusion of engine throttle, which prevents the engine from gaining RPM. In both the ON mode and the EEM mode...the traction light will still flash, you will still feel ABS braking on the driving wheels, and you will still experience ETR (engine throttle reduction). But what the difference is (again)....the EEM mode should reveal that ETR is lessened and if you watch your tachometer...you should see that the engine is allowed to gain higher RPM before ETR is reintroduced to help the car regain traction.

AGAIN...ETR still occurs in EEM (mode)...but it is LESS restrictive than in the default ON mode. If you're not intuitive enough to "feel" the difference (and some people are more or less able to do this)...then pay attention to your tachometer and how high the revs are allowed between the two modes.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-30-2011 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    I have a 97 and an 02. Easter egg mode works great on both cars. I love to use it whenever I have to climb a snowy hills.

The biggest noticeable is no rev limiting
    And yet you still have some traction control by the blinking yellow ABS light sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast