Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW AKG RTAB pocket reinforcements ... 1 piece goodness

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350

NEW AKG RTAB pocket reinforcements ... 1 piece goodness

AKG just got these back from the laser cutter, and I got the first set in my hands yesterday.

I got Andy from AKG the RTAB pocket from a friend of mine, that got plasma cut out of an e36 chassis. Andy cleaned it up with the bead blaster, and we discussed the 1 piece VAC design and the 3 piece Bimmerworld design.

They came out WAY better than I expected, and now you can get all 3 reinforcements from AKG. (front subframe, rear swaybar, and RTAB pocket)

Bimmerworld 3 piece RTAB pplates $60
    VAC 1 piece RTAB plates $60

AKG 1 piece RTAB plates $50

On to some pictures, and now you guys can see "under" the RTAB pocket and the reason we have so many issues with them ripping out.

AKG should be getting the full order this week sometime at the shop, and they should be added to the website shortly after that

Last edited by 99MPower; 01-29-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Nice. Really funny I was just talking about teaching myself to weld so I could install plates. These look great!

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    I just picked up a Miller 140 MIG welder in November, and FINALLY took it out of the box this week to weld in reinforcements for the new owner of my TCK 6pt bolt in. (weld in plates to the floor/rocker panel)

Actually going to be installing either this set or a set of BW plates I have, in a car on Sunday. If we do the AKG plates, I'll post some pictures

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Nice. It lloks like only a few plug welds perside then go around the edges right? Can't be too hard with some practice on scrap right?

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    Nice. It lloks like only a few plug welds perside then go around the edges right? Can't be too hard with some practice on scrap right?
    yep...

just need to practice with THICK 1/8" plate, and then some thin stuff (16ga)

need to be able to concentrate the heat on the thick plate and "blend" the plate into the thin sheet metal chassis of the car.

oh wow... I didnt even realize they were already on the website.. NICE

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...0Reinforcement
    Last edited by 99MPower; 01-29-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    97 M3, 11 CR-Z, 89 YJ
    Good sh!t Cal, I'm interested in a set. I was at harbor freight today debating on grabbing a welder, but since I've only welded a handful of times, is this a good idea? How much would something like this cost to have welded professionally? Will be doing RTABs next month so this would be perfect...

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Cal, I hope you have a 20A circuit dedicated to that welder. I just looked and the 140 looks interesting. My wife has an older 251. (that's right, my WIFE!) But I've never had good results with 120V migs... (except exhausts) I've still got my first welder, a Daytona Mig (120V), just sitting in the garage gathering dust, that I guess would be ok for body work sheet metal. But it just doesn't have the ass to weld 1/4 type plate... I've also got a 200A AC/DC square wave pulse, water cooled tig... I've been practicing welding stainless exhaust tubes... Anyway...

Also be really careful about fire, since I don't know if you really have no way to access the back side of the chassis when you are welding those RTAB reinforcement plates. Welding will burn off the E coat, and the primer. Plus it's really close to the gas tank...

Just saying, a big ABC fire extinguisher, and a bucket of water are a good idea.
    Last edited by RRSperry; 01-29-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB M3 View Post
    Good sh!t Cal, I'm interested in a set. I was at harbor freight today debating on grabbing a welder, but since I've only welded a handful of times, is this a good idea? How much would something like this cost to have welded professionally? Will be doing RTABs next month so this would be perfect...
    Welding critical function thin sheet metal, and especially much heavier plate to thin sheet metal, really isn't the place to practice one's emergent welding skills. I also suspect that pulsed TIG would do a better job here due to the improved heat control compared to MIG.

I've owned a MIG welder (240V/180A) for a few years but have an agreement with myself that I don't weld safety critical items. It's a rule I can live with...

Neil

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe
    Looks like a nice product. I've got the BW plates on my car but frankly if this was available at the time I'd have gone with the one-piece setup, especially at the lower price point.
    ???

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I love AKG more and more every day. If I'm ever in their area I will make it a point to stop by and meet these guys. Their product line up is just staight up no bull shit awesome parts!
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB M3 View Post
    Professional, $500-$750 I would think. Myself and a bunch of other local Chicago guys, normal charge $300-$550 depending on if u are coming to our house, we are coming there, you are doing all the prep, we are, etc.

Its something that can be done by a competent/intelligent person who understands welding, and has some practice. As I mentioned, getting some 1/8" plate, and some 16ga steel, and practice welding them together without burning out the 16ga or putting holes in it. Once you can do that successfully, you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Cal, I hope you have a 20A circuit dedicated to that welder. I just looked and the 140 looks interesting. My wife has an older 251. (that's right, my WIFE!) But I've never had good results with 120V migs... (except exhausts) I've still got my first welder, a Daytona Mig (120V), just sitting in the garage gathering dust, that I guess would be ok for body work sheet metal. But it just doesn't have the ass to weld 1/4 type plate... I've also got a 200A AC/DC square wave pulse, water cooled tig... I've been practicing welding stainless exhaust tubes... Anyway...

Also be really careful about fire, since I don't know if you really have no way to access the back side of the chassis when you are welding those RTAB reinforcement plates. Welding will burn off the E coat, and the primer. Plus it's really close to the gas tank...

Just saying, a big ABC fire extinguisher, and a bucket of water are a good idea.
    Yep, dedicated 110V 20A circuit was set up actually JUST for this welder. I have a detached garage and needed more power for my future 220V 60A large air compressor. Instead of burying the conduit, we made our own "extension cord" with a 100A break box and 6/3 cable. Dedicated 60A 220V plug with its own breaker, and 2 individual 110V GFCI 20A plugs with their own 20A breakers

I also have a large fire extinguisher as well

Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Welding critical function thin sheet metal, and especially much heavier plate to thin sheet metal, really isn't the place to practice one's emergent welding skills. I also suspect that pulsed TIG would do a better job here due to the improved heat control compared to MIG.

I've owned a MIG welder (240V/180A) for a few years but have an agreement with myself that I don't weld safety critical items. It's a rule I can live with...

Neil
    Its not that difficult, especially when you have a good teacher, practice, and are careful. Being in the Navy, and practice ORM, safety and everything else they instill in us, makes me pretty confident I can handle any task....

Quote Originally Posted by Ritt View Post
    Looks like a nice product. I've got the BW plates on my car but frankly if this was available at the time I'd have gone with the one-piece setup, especially at the lower price point.
    exactly what I told Andy/AKG. These should sell VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I love AKG more and more every day. If I'm ever in their area I will make it a point to stop by and meet these guys. Their product line up is just staight up no bull shit awesome parts!
    Yep... Get in touch with me if u are ever in the Chicago area. Would be cool to meet you, and I could take u over there.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritt View Post
    I agree with you there Kent. It was still rather fun installing. thanks again for the assistance on that one

AKG is never disappoint. Will recommend this product from now

especially at the price point
    Last edited by das borgen; 01-29-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    -Rich-

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    damn, i just did my rtabs. oh well, next time!

My Cars
    E36M3
    wow I was just about to buy the BW plates, thanks cal

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    My wife has an older 251. (that's right, my WIFE!) But I've never had good results with 120V migs... (except exhausts)

The Millermatic 251? That's a 240v welder. Unless they have another 251 in their lineup. I've got a Millermatic 250, which is 240v/200A. It's a nice welder. I find that the cheap welders with only a few voltage settings are actually harder to weld thinner stuff with, as you just can't adjust things well enough.

But yeah- 120v mig welders are good for exhausts and art projects, and that's about it.... you COULD do something like this with one, but it would take a while longer. Also, my welder uses a 12ft lead, which is REALLY nice while working on a car that's on jackstands.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    I've had zero issues welding 1/8th plate to 1/8th plate.

I agree that cheap welders suck, but a quality 110v welded (miller/lincoln, etc) are more than up to the task. You can get longer leads for any Miller welded too. Im planning on upgrading my lead and squirt gun soon

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    ^ yeah, you can do 1/8" pretty easily with about any welder. Most of what I weld is motorcycle stuff, and a 110v mig welder just can't weld a gas tank very well. A tig is MUCH better suited to the task, but a nicer mig works fairly well.

The real problem with 110 welders is that 1/8" or 3/16" is about the most you can ever hope to weld, so if you want to do more structural stuff, you either have to do 1000 passes and take forever, or just not attempt it.

The 110 is nice, though... in that you can just take it wherever and use it in almost anyone's garage. People ask to borrow my welder all the time, but when they hear it's not 110, they can never use it because that's all they have in their garage.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    exactly...

Miller 140 was specifically purchased for doing RTAB pocket reinforcements, swaybar reinforcements, front subframe reinforcements, and the ability to be mobile to go to other houses and do the reinforcements there as well.

I needed something portable that I could use anywhere, and wanted quality (Miller)

enough about the welding... back to the awesomeness of AKGs new design

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    these plates look nice. i will probably pick these up when they are available.

am i the only person who thinks that reinforcement plates wont help for the RTAB rip through problem?

those 3 threaded cylinders can still rip from the sheet metal and go through the holes on the reinforcement plates.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    not when they're welded to the plates which are welded to the pocket

Last edited by das borgen; 01-29-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    -Rich-

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    looks like a nice piece... I like AKG stuff and will be getting some of their bushings soon. VAC also makes RTAB pocket reinforcement plates though I don't think they advertise it on their site. They are also 1 piece items. Pretty nice. I've had them on for several months now.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    looks like a nice piece... I like AKG stuff and will be getting some of their bushings soon. VAC also makes RTAB pocket reinforcement plates though I don't think they advertise it on their site. They are also 1 piece items. Pretty nice. I've had them on for several months now.
    yes they do...very poorly since no pics

do you have photos of the VAC part?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by hc1001 View Post
    these plates look nice. i will probably pick these up when they are available.

am i the only person who thinks that reinforcement plates wont help for the RTAB rip through problem?

those 3 threaded cylinders can still rip from the sheet metal and go through the holes on the reinforcement plates.
    as Rich mentioned, you have to weld between the plates and the bungs and reinforce EVERYTHING.

Once welding it complete, a die grinder with an abrasive disk to smooth the welds out, and you are good to go

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    dang man nice find.

Ill be doing all my reinforcements here soon on my M.

Once i am finished with school and get a job, ill be tracking frequently

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
    dang man nice find.

Ill be doing all my reinforcements here soon on my M.

Once i am finished with school and get a job, ill be tracking frequently
    no nice "find" Leif.

I talked with Andy, and helped with the initial setup and "design" of these plates from scratch. It was stupid for Andy not to have the RTAB plates since he has every other reinforcement for the E36.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast