Thread: White milky sludge!?!

My Cars
    88 BMW 325IX(x2) 89 325IX 90 325IX vintage volvos

White milky sludge!?!

While trying to diagnose a warm start problem i came across white milky sludge everywhere.. Its in my throttle body and an 1/8" layer of it can be found throughout my pcv hose. there is also trace amount under the filler cap and on oil dip stick.

The question is it from coolant or is this a condensation issue. My coolant has not dropped and I do not take my car on short trips..

The most obvious place to look would be the two coolant hoses which run to the throttle body.. I replaced the gasket just 6000 miles ago perhaps that is leaking?

I have pressure tested cooling system to 15 psi and could not find any evident leaks although there is a pressure drop. approximately 1 psi in 15 mins..

Any ideas?

Last edited by 325IXer; 01-26-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    86 porsche 930, 88 325is
    moisture/water has gotten inthe oil. you should see how bad it is on my 911!
    do you or have you steam cleaned the engine in the past?

it can also be a sign of a head gasket. if your oil level gets higher, its coolant. you can also get a test kit from napa that will sample the coolant for a blown head gasket. you can also do a compression test and a leak down test.

if you have a lot of miles on the engine, you are getting blowby. compression seeps past the rings, into the block and blows out the valve cover to the intake, taking oil/sludge with it.

i gave up trying to keep it out of the 911. its been bad enough i have had water pour out of the valve cover when i take them off.

it also did it on the wifes volvo, eventually the head gasket went.

drive it till it breaks or fix it now.
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 86 PORSCHE 930
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 88 BMW 325is 200K+
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 2000 MERCEDES E320 WAGON
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:99 GRAND CHEROKEE 160K::
    [_:_] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: mazda B2200

My Cars
    SpecE30, Mini Cooper JCW
    I wouldn't worry about it until there are more symptoms. Like you pour out your oil and get chocolate milk, or the car starts overheating.

My Cars
    well i just pulled off the pcv hose and the thing was full of water.. probably 3-4 ounces poured out.. that seems like a lot to be just condensation..

the car only has 88,000 miles.. and i just changed the oil 500 miles ago.. And i never steam clean or pressure wash any of my engines (it just puts water in places you don't want it)

T77911S- watch out for the timing belt on your wife's 960.. and when you do it replace everything that rotates.. Just had an idler pulley self destruct 6,000 miles before our 96 960 was due for a factory recommended timing belt service.. T-belt jumped teeth and valves are all bent now.. also careful ordering parts (turns out there are 3 different timing belt sizes they used on the 960 which also means different water pumps and pulleys as well)
    Last edited by 325IXer; 01-26-2011 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    87 325is
    That looks like normal winter condensation emulsion to me. Drain the oil and see if it contains milkshake, which would be evidence of a head gasket leak.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1989 325 IX Touring, 200
    has it been sitting for a while?

If so just run it on the highway and give it a good boot. It'll disappear.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    huummm??? I would watch that seems fishy to me

My Cars
    '92 S52 E30 Vert
    Hah...white milky sludge...

My Cars
    86 porsche 930, 88 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by 325IXer View Post
    well i just pulled off the pcv hose and the thing was full of water.. probably 3-4 ounces poured out.. that seems like a lot to be just condensation..

the car only has 88,000 miles.. and i just changed the oil 500 miles ago.. And i never steam clean or pressure wash any of my engines (it just puts water in places you don't want it)

T77911S- watch out for the timing belt on your wife's 960.. and when you do it replace everything that rotates.. Just had an idler pulley self destruct 6,000 miles before our 96 960 was due for a factory recommended timing belt service.. T-belt jumped teeth and valves are all bent now.. also careful ordering parts (turns out there are 3 different timing belt sizes they used on the 960 which also means different water pumps and pulleys as well)
    she drove it for 2 yrs with a bad HG. finally got to the point it hydor locked on her, i think, but i went to start it, and it started up.
    its parked now, cant decide what to do with it.
    do you need a head?
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 86 PORSCHE 930
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 88 BMW 325is 200K+
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 2000 MERCEDES E320 WAGON
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:99 GRAND CHEROKEE 160K::
    [_:_] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: mazda B2200

My Cars
    i don't need a head yet.. haven't even managed to get the cam cover off yet.. got all 46 bolts plus cam sensor bolt on the back and freed the adhesive sealant they use in place of the gasket.. I'll let you know when i break this cam cover trying to get it off or crack the head...

as for the white milky sludge..

I pressure tested the cooling system to 15 psi. noticed a very slow and steady drop in pressure until 8 psi (i'm talking like over 24 hours).. its remained at 8 psi for the last couple days and no coolant leaks are visible..

not really sure what to do.. i know 3-4 ounces of water in my pcv hose seems like a lot of water to be condensation.. Car has only been driven around 1-2 times a week for the last month.. but for long trips..

My Cars
    E30M3 X2 R100GS/PD R60/5

nothing to worry about

its normal condensation build up in the pcv system due to oil not getting not enough to evaporate moisture out ,completely normal during cold weather. depending on temps can take up to three + hrs driving to dry out moisture (make sure you thermostat is allowing engine to full temp).we see cars in our shop with big globs under the oil cap due to short driving,bad t-stats. like other say only panic if oil on dipstick is milky brown !

My Cars
    1986 325ES STICK
    My bet is on an engine running too cool. Temp gauge should be just under half or at the half mark, make sure its an 80 degree C. stat. I would also replace the PCV valve.

My Cars
    1997 318i Touring
    +1 on the PCV valve... Everytime I've seen that in the shop it was from lack of maintenance... i.e. oil changes... BUT, that may not be your case. We usually use a engine flush liquid made by B.G. ... Clears it up pretty well, but on these older cars it tends to loosen up stuff blockin oil leaks. P.T. Cruisers were the worst. All that it is is moisture. I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

My Cars
    thermostat was replaced around 15000 miles ago.. But with a cooler one (i seem to recall its a 75).. runs a little below half way mark... my other IX runs at half way mark.. perhaps a warmer t stat would do the trick..
    Last edited by 325IXer; 01-30-2011 at 10:53 AM.

My Cars
    1986 325ES STICK
    Can't hurt. Also verify that strong vacuum is present at both ends of the PCV hose. If the system's restricted, it could cause excess moisture. Make sure the port on the underside of the valve cover isn't plugged up as well. Water is condensation, antifreeze is a leak.