eBMWParts

Thread: 1995 E36 325 - Possible Rear + Front Supsension Probs - Good Advice Needed

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Question 1995 E36 325 - Possible Rear + Front Supsension Probs - Good Advice Needed

Had a 1995 BMW E36 325 for a while now, low mileage for year (94K) , good engine + gearbox.

But like everything else German, the running gear has suffered a little I think, can't quite put my finger on it.

First of all, I've had the FRONT wishbone 'lolly pop' bushes replaced with the best you can probably get - 'Meyle', also the 'Inner + Outer' ball joints + sway bar links were replaced 'Meyle' too at the same time, which stiffened up the steering a great deal.

Problem I've noticed since is that when going over pot holes or bumps, the rear of the car will either 'twitch' left or right or there's a loud slamming noise from the back end - really echoes through the car - it shouldn't be that noisy going over the slightest hump etc.

The tyre pressures in each tyre are at around 34 psi.

Now I've had a BMW garage look at the REAR SUB FRAME MOUNTS, and was told there ok, the mechanic says he's never ever had to replace a set yet during his time as a BMW mechanic.

I know a snag exists,its there, because for instance I've noticed that when there is weight in the rear of the car, ie 3/4 tank of fuel, shopping, passengers etc

When the rear springs are compressed under extra weight, the ride of the car is more stable + less noisy, less noticeable + less back end bouncy when going over pot holes or speed bumps.

But this then causes the front end to sway + seem unstable + light on the steering.

When I look at the 'top' of the REAR wheels/tyres on either side, how far from the edge of the rear wheel arch - SHOULD THEY BE??

They seem pretty near if not touching the arch, that's when the cars loaded with weight or not.

Anyone else experienced the same thing + if so what was the cure??

I'm thinking New REAR TOP MOUNTS + New REAR EIBACH SPRINGS MAYBE needed or New Rear Sway Bar Links??

I want the car to feel like a new car feels when driving - I'm not interested in Lowering the car - anyone know of what I need - strengthened springs etc??

If I don't get something done soon, I fear one all the banging at the back end may cause damage to the top mount plate area, which I have heard about before happening to other people.

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by tsam19; 01-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    97 E36 4dr 5spd alpine-
    RSMs, RTABs, and possibly shocks.
    BF.c, where dudes talk with other dudes about gauges.

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Thumbs up

Had it looked into today, had a mobile mechanic check all the rear bushes with a 'gemmy bar' - all of them absolutely solid - Great News !!!

However upon jacking the car up the 'culprit' was spotted - see pic.

Top End of Driver Side Damper.

Don't know how this happened or whats caused it but this is the original BMW damper, its been on the car since manufacture - at least 15 years old!

Checked the rear passenger side & that is ok.

Upon changing item & the driving ride its a lot better.

Anyone else seen this happen before??

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    That is flat out bizzare.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Scary