Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window regulator / Paging Q, cnn etc..

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    OK, will do....

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    gjVah,

Your car may win the Award of "Weirdest problem of the Year!".

Anyway, post a follow-up as to what causes it, please.
    Last edited by cnn; 01-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Hey gjVah,

What is the final verdict?

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Ok, just got around to doing it last night. I had to use a flashlight, so no video of the anomaly..

The connector DOES only go in one way, so flipping it was not an option. Had to cut the wires and connect them opposite to what it was. Worked like a charm Good thing is, there were only 2 wires, so no way to mess up anything.

Thanks to cnn and everyone else who chimed in.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by gjVah View Post
    Ok, just got around to doing it last night. I had to use a flashlight, so no video of the anomaly..

The connector DOES only go in one way, so flipping it was not an option. Had to cut the wires and connect them opposite to what it was. Worked like a charm Good thing is, there were only 2 wires, so no way to mess up anything.

Thanks to cnn and everyone else who chimed in.
    Holy Smoke, so you are saying the Regulator coming from BMW's wiring is reversed? This is bizarre, you may want to let BMW vendor know.

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    congrats on the fix, but i am confused on how this is even happening. nothing should have changed with the polarity of the motor. the only thing i can think of is its somehow related to the configuration of the regulator? the motor should be turning in the same direction before and after its removal....i guess the real test is to see which way the motor turns on two different vehicles.

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Holy Smoke, so you are saying the Regulator coming from BMW's wiring is reversed? This is bizarre, you may want to let BMW vendor know.
    Well.. The regulator is a bit different than the one that came off my car. The motor position is different. Mine had the motor in a completely different place, but this one fit perfectly, and bolted right up...
    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeCamber View Post
    congrats on the fix, but i am confused on how this is even happening. nothing should have changed with the polarity of the motor. the only thing i can think of is its somehow related to the configuration of the regulator? the motor should be turning in the same direction before and after its removal....i guess the real test is to see which way the motor turns on two different vehicles.
    Thanks. I guess it was due to the fact that the motor was in a different place... lol

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    LOL at this tread. Shame I was out of town.

@jgVah: If you re-attached the window motor the other way around the window operation gets reversed. No matter if you connected the plug correctly. The same happened to me a while ago when replacing the driver's side regulator, and after having everything reassembled again, I realized the window switch got "inverted" so I had to remove everything again.
    The problem is that the motor is identical from both sides and it's very easy to insert it backwards. The solution is pretty easy, after you have the regulator out again, just turn the motor 180 degrees and that's it. No need for wire cutting or plug reversing. Shame you went through all that.

Here's my old thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1463530

And pay attention to this part specifically:

Word of warning, inserting the motor screw into the regulator is a royal PITA, and make sure you assemble the motor correctly, switching sides will result in a reversed operation (switch up = window down). I found that out after having everything assembled again.
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 01-31-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    crdiscoverer,

So all along, it might have been "wrong" installation of the motor?
    Can someone post some pics the correct way and the incorrect way to help future DIYers? It is hard to "picture" what you said above crdiscoverer.

My Cars
    '03 530i5
    How about marking the motor next time. Mark the side of the motor facing toward the cabin.

My Cars
    91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by gjVah View Post
    Ok Chief, got it.
    Off topic, but wow, what a beautiful interior you have. Great photography work too!

@:-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12