Thread: Strut tower question

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt

Strut tower question

How can you tell if your strut towers have mushroomed? The top of mine is not perfectly even does that mean that I have a problem?

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    You will see an outward splaying of your strut mount bolts. JamesDC posted a great example of this yesterday. Google "strut tower mushrooming" and you can also get a good idea what it looks like, what the possible causes are, and most of all, what people have done to correct it.

This post was also quite good.
    Last edited by AnotherGeezer; 01-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.

My Cars
    00 528, 73 2002
    Do those look "mushroomed" to you then? Left side in this case ? I find it weird that the studs are so off center in the holes, but the other side has washers so I cannot compare... If so that might explain my odd ride height issue...

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
    Do those look "mushroomed" to you then? Left side in this case ? I find it weird that the studs are so off center in the holes, but the other side has washers so I cannot compare... If so that might explain my odd ride height issue...

My eyes are not the best anymore but if there is any ballooning going on, it's fairly minimal. Your towers still have their dimples and some of the worst examples I've seen lose theirs.

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt
    Ok that makes me feel better. I had trouble seeing what was wrong in the pictures in my strut tower brace thread.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Those are slightly mushroomed. How's your alignment? Are your tires wearing evenly? Does the car ride height seem even at all four corners?

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    I wonder if BMW makes a rough road package for E39s?

Or maybe someone makes these for our cars?

I would seem more logical to support the towers from below the curvature versus above it.

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt
    Ride height is even and the alignment seems to be dead on center. I've only had the car for about a month and the tires are worn and will need to be replaced in the next 5k to 10k miles.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    I would imagine you're ok as long as your car's alignment is within normal limits. There is quite a lot of info out there regarding this issue and I'm a little surprised more folks aren't talking about it. Especially the guys that lower their car well below factory sport level.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I think something is wrong.

I could be incorrect...but every I6 strut mount I have seen has obviously the three studs and three bolts atop them...but there is also a 4th 'nipple' or 'key' if you will. Call it a notch if you will. Take a look here:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...36752735_1.jpg

You'll see the forth 'nipple/key' which must be inserted into it's opening.

I'd also say that I haven't seen a mount like yours, where there is so much ability for it to rotate; my three studs combined with the forth 'notch/nipple/key' make that mount super snug, super tight.

I might be wrong here. But perhaps your 'key/notch/nipples' have broken off on both mounts allowing them to twist/rotate...making them off-center.

For my I6 strut mounts...all I have a 3 self-locking nuts...no washers:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=31&fg=10

And by the way, link above...anyone know wtf # 14 is?

Jared or Mark? EAC Tuning wanna weigh-in?
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver;21075674[URL
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT43&mospid=47584&btnr=31_0256& hg=31&fg=10[/URL]

And by the way, link above...anyone know wtf # 14 is?

Jared or Mark? EAC Tuning wanna weigh-in?
    I know right? Must be a secret hidden part only Dingolfing natives with little blue and white emblems on their skivvies are allowed to view.

I did find PART #13 quite fascinating but they apparently don't make one for the E39.
    Last edited by AnotherGeezer; 01-06-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Additional information

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Keith makes an excellent point.

Since I have a camber kit, it appears my set-up uses special washers to prevent twisting since the nipple is missing (speculation on my part).

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    The mystery of the missing nipples.

My Cars
    2003 525i

'Bimmerfiver Appreciation Day' when will it occur in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    I know right? Must be a secret hidden part only Dingolfing natives with little blue and white emblems on their skivvies are allowed to view.

I did find PART #13 quite fascinating but they apparently don't make one for the E39.
    Read this and then scroll all the way to the bottom where they talk about the infamous BMW front strut tower reinforcement braces:

http://www.vrperformance.com/mt/2008...igue_on_b.html

Here's what they look like FYI and maybe for $25.00 PER PAIR not a bad idea to bolster the area and fight the mushroom:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36e46e...px?Thread=True

I don't eff around when it comes to the I6 front end. Washers, nuts, brackets I won't stop.

A must have for performance driven E36/E46/E9X 3 Series!
    We are now offering E36/E46/E9X specific strut mount reinforcement plates to reduce the chances for strut housing and mount "mushrooming" and increases the car's strength when using performance oriented spring and/or struts. We highly suggest these plates with use of aftermarket performance suspension kits.
    With every new 3 Series model, the BMW engineers have increased their concern for saving weight (and cost) in every location possible to compensate for the added weight (and cost) of modern safety, luxury, and technology features. With computer aided load and fatigue programs (starting with the E36), BMW tried to create a light chassis that can withstand the loads of the stock suspension without deformity or flex throughout the cars life cycle*. With this type of production technology, BMW can make the material as thin as possible to meet the projected fatigue and wear expectation of that part's life span. Unfortunately, this production philosophy made it's way down to the chassis itself - the cars backbone. The problem starts to occur with the addition of stiffer, lower aftermarket springs and struts that transmit more load than was intended to the strut towers and has the potential to bottom out more often due to a lower ride height. With these added forces, the strut tower has a tendency to "mushroom" open, bending the strut mount's studs outward. This damage to the uni-body can be greatly decreased by using these reinforcement plates. This is a serious concern for performance minded enthusiast that want even more performance from there E36/E46/E9X 3 Series and plan to drive the car accordingly.
    Applications include all E36 (excluding '96-'99 M3, installed from factory), E46 3 Series cars from 1999-2006 including the M3, and E9X 3 Series cars.
    *BMW's concept of a car's limited life cycle began with design and production of the E36 3 Series in the early 90's. BMW engineered the cars to be recyclable after the car's estimated life cycle expired. The concept of a car having a limited lifespan without the ability of being rebuilt has continued with every new model. Sold per pair

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    The mystery of the missing nipples.
    Sadly Farrah Fawcett left us all and she had a killer pair. I recall seeing her when she did a spread in Pl*yboy and was started at the length of her #2 pencil erasers. Startled.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 01-06-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    As I sat around pondering the multi-colored lint in my naval, it occurred to me that sandwiching the strut towers with the aforementioned reinforcement below and perhaps a good quality strut bar above would be a perfect solution to the Shiitake Strut tower debacle.

Or perhaps I should go back to my umbilical meditations.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I couldn't find the reinforcement braces for the E39 yesterday.
    We were talking about using a strut tower brace instead.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    I'm not totally convinced applying the reinforcement to only the top of the tower would be as effective as reinforcing both sides but it's better than no reinforcement at all.

Since all the force is from underneath, the tower would still be able to push upward a little bit but no where near as much as stock.

My Cars
    BMW
    I agree with Geezer.

The added strength needs to be placed underneath the crown of the tower, not on top.
    Last edited by Graham E39 528i; 01-10-2012 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    530IA
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    I think something is wrong.

I could be incorrect...but every I6 strut mount I have seen has obviously the three studs and three bolts atop them...but there is also a 4th 'nipple' or 'key' if you will. Call it a notch if you will. Take a look here:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...36752735_1.jpg

You'll see the forth 'nipple/key' which must be inserted into it's opening.

I'd also say that I haven't seen a mount like yours, where there is so much ability for it to rotate; my three studs combined with the forth 'notch/nipple/key' make that mount super snug, super tight.

I might be wrong here. But perhaps your 'key/notch/nipples' have broken off on both mounts allowing them to twist/rotate...making them off-center.
    Look carefully, somebody filed the holes out to adjust camber. To do this, you have to remove the "pin or nipple" to allow adjustment. some of the strut mounts have nipples that unscrew. Seems like the later strut mounts have the nipples cast into the mount as shown in the photo from turner.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
    This car has been wrecked in the left front before. Or perhaps just in general.

Someone slotted the holes on your towers to "correct" accident damage related camber problems.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    E39 540ia
    Quote Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
    Look carefully, somebody filed the holes out to adjust camber. To do this, you have to remove the "pin or nipple" to allow adjustment. some of the strut mounts have nipples that unscrew. Seems like the later strut mounts have the nipples cast into the mount as shown in the photo from turner.
    gtx is right someone slotted the holes to change the camber. I have seen this done before on extremely low cars. Car could have had a hard impact from a pot hole like me. I had to buy camber plates to correct my alignment issue after hitting a deep pot hole.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    hmm i thought the e39 was supposed to by a super stiff chassis. is this a common problem with all cars? or just a design flaw here?
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    00 528, 73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    This car has been wrecked in the left front before. Or perhaps just in general.

Someone slotted the holes on your towers to "correct" accident damage related camber problems.
    Yes, that was disclosed before purchase. It hit a pothole real hard, broke a wheel, lots of suspension bits replaced in that corner... But that would bother me more if the car wasn't going straight (it does), or if it was worth more than $5000 (it's not)... It explains the odd ride height in that corner though.