RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Manual shifter "out of center" in neutral position

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci convertib

Manual shifter "out of center" in neutral position

I own a 2002 330 ci with a 5 speed manual transmission. Occasionally, the shifter, especially after going into 5th gear, will not return to "center" when in neutral. The shifter will stay stuck to the right. I can still drive the car, but it is difficult to shift from 2nd to 3rd without going straight into 5th. Then out of the blue, the shifter will pop back into center. Any ideas?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    This is a fairly common issue.

There are "detent springs" in your trans, and they occasionally fail to return the shifter to center.

These items are externally serviceable, although you'll have to remove the trans. If you search long and hard, you'll be able to find a BMW service kit for these detent springs/pistons. The piston of this assembly is becoming stuck in it's bore, and should be replaced, and the bore cleaned thoroughly.

Be aware that dirty fluid aggravates this problem, but the bores aren't likely to be cleaned and pistons unstuck through a fluid change alone.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci convertib
    Thanks for your input. Does this kind of service need to be performed by a BMW mechanic? Will the problem worsen if not repaired?

My Cars
    '93 325iS SE 36 #110
    There is a very lengthy thread addressing this issue here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48002

This thread is aimed at the problem on E36s but this issue and transmissions are the same I believe.

And the best single write-up that I have seen on it is here:

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/bmw_diy/shift_pins/shift_pins.html

In my experience, not all that many shops are familiar with this repair and even the dealer in my area was unaware of the repair kits which meant they had little or no experience with this repair. If you want a shop to do this job, I would highly recommend that you find one who is already experienced in doing it - otherwise you will likely be paying their R&D for the tools and techniques (which are not necessarily straightforward).

Good luck
    Tom Tice

'15 M3
    '98 M3/4/5 - RIP
    '01 740i 6sp
    '93 325iS SE36 #110