Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery is dead, car is locked...HELP!

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE

Battery is dead, car is locked...HELP!

Droped my car off at the mechanic last week to have some work done that i don't have the time or knowledge to do and the battery drained on it from the time i left it to the time he gets to it. Guess i left the interior lights on or something, anyway, can't get into the car with the key either. Am i just screwed or is a locksmith in my immediate future?
    Last edited by evertoconquer; 12-30-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    Can you open your trunk? If you can you will find the battery there you can jump start the car.

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    Can't open anything at all. I didn't know that when the battery died, nothing can be done with the car at all, or is that just mine and something else is f'd up.

My Cars
    2000 540iT Sport
    Jump the car to the terminals under the hood in front. There is a little black cover with a + sign on it on the right side of the engine block (as you face the car from the front), and there is a large bronze/gold covered nut on the left strut tower for your negative connection.

So, connect another car to those terminals, just like you are going to jump start the car. that will give it enough juice to respond to the unlock command from your key and allow you access to the trunk.

Ask me how i know!!

And oh yeah, get a new mechanic. If he doesn't know something this simple about your car then he shouldn't be doing anything complicated on it.
    Last edited by Hogg; 12-30-2010 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    2000 540i/A
    Can't manually open the doors or trunk by turning all the way counter clock wise? Doesn't make sense. I heard you can jump via license plate lights. lol

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    I know... but I have to ask did you use your key?? It's a mechanical mechanism not electrical.

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    Hogg, i don't think you understand what i am saying or i didn't type it correctly, i can't get into the car to open the hood at all. The guy that is my mechanic has been one for almost 30 years so i trust him and he has always fixed my cars when i couldn't.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i 6speed
    You should be able to get into the car with your key without any battery.

From the Manual
    "(in the event of an electrical malfunction)
    By turning the key to the limit positions in the door lock, you can lock and unlock the driver's door.
    "

Once opened (from own XP):
    Get another battery and some wires;
    Put one wire on "+" and another on "-" (Careful!);
    Other end of the "+" wire put around some long screwdriver and cover screwdriver with insulation so only the tip is visible;
    Take out cigarette lighter;
    Put the tip of the screwdriver ("+") onto very bottom and center of the lighter well (there is some kind of bolt or smth, can't remember);
    Now with wire from "-" (minus) terminal touch the wall of the well and there you have it - it's alive !
    Ask someone to push trunk unlock button.

EDIT:
    OH! If your mechanic with his 30 years XP really can't get into the car (really strange however) - he can do it the same way through the lighting of the number plate on the trunk. Haven't done this, so no DIY here from me.
    Last edited by Geralt; 12-30-2010 at 02:10 PM.

540i 6speed.

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    Quote Originally Posted by cbouchez View Post
    I know... but I have to ask did you use your key?? It's a mechanical mechanism not electrical.

Yep, tried that. It wouldn't do a thing.

Well, he said something about the tail gate lights but i was so pissed about everything that i just dissmissed it.
    Last edited by evertoconquer; 12-30-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    Id hate for this to happen to me with BMW roadside assistance. Mercedes will send a mobile tech to handle the situation with your key and get the car open. BMW wont. I would suggest trying to give BMW roadside a call anyway and see if they will send you a local tech like Mercedes does. It may cost you a bit but at least they will get the car open for you.

Are you sure the key wont open the door manually? Does your key go in the door lock but wont turn?
    Last edited by CLKFAN; 12-30-2010 at 02:19 PM.

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    CLK, i'm positive it will not turn, i did it my self. He told me that the alarm went off a couple of times by itself so i figured that was the battery dying.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Same issue here, 2000 5-series wagon locked out:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=502380

Jack up the driver's side front wheel and support with jackstand for safety reason.
    There is a red cable going to the starter motor.
    You can jump through that (+) post labeled "Red Positive Cable" and a ground (such as Transmission).
    You may have to remove some plastic shield to expose the red cable:

Last edited by cnn; 12-30-2010 at 02:40 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502380

Jack up the driver's side front wheel and support with jackstand for safety reason.
    You can jump through that (+) post labeled "Red Positive Cable" and a ground (such as Transmission).
    Nice, Cam!
    I'm confused as to why the manual lock/unlock doesn't work on some E39s.

(Image courtesy Qsilver7)
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-30-2010 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Nice, Cam!

1+,

I am baffled by this too. I have no issues whatsoever when I d/c my battery and use the key manually.

In this post and some other posts, the owner cannot open BOTH the driver door AND the trunk! Hard to explain why!

My Cars
    2000 540iT Sport
    Duh - yeah. If you cant get into the car then how can you pop the hood.

Did some googling on your behalf, and at least on other person ran into the same issue, and thought the "key in drivers side lock" would not work. But he was just not turning it hard enough. So, try it again and put some elbow grease behind it.

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE

t

Thank you so much CNN, that was the ticket. The locksmith said he wouldn't touch it, too much liability.

I think this should be put into the DIY section, surely I'm not the only one this has ever happened to here.
    Last edited by evertoconquer; 12-30-2010 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    03 F350
    Nope your not. However im not sure if the touring is diff. but on a sedan 5 the truck could be operated manually. Ive had this happen to me before the truck opened just find... have to twist it to the left all the way.
    02 BMW 525i Auto //// 00 BMW 528i Auto <--- Projects. ///// 1998 528i Auto - Sold
    1997 BMW 528i Auto Black/Greyish ///// 00 BMW 528i Auto Black/Black - Sold

02 BMW 540i 6spd Black/Black M-Sport - sold ///// 05 Suzuki GSX600F Katana - Sold
    99 Nissan Maxima 5spd SE-L - Sold ///// 90 Supra 5spd Turbo Targa 1jz - Sold
    89 Supra 5spd Turbo Hardtop 7M - Sold /////
    90 SAAB 900 5spd Turbo - Sold

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Nice, Cam!

We should compile a list of e39 models that can pop open the doors with keys when the battery dies...

Example:

-
    -
    -2000 528i (sport)
    -
    -
    -
    Last edited by FP5241; 01-01-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    '03 Topaz 540/6
    Quote Originally Posted by UkiSash View Post
    Nope your not. However im not sure if the touring is diff. but on a sedan 5 the truck could be operated manually. Ive had this happen to me before the truck opened just find... have to twist it to the left all the way.
    ^ Tough read!

I thought all 5's opened manually with a firm complete turn of the key just like the owner's manual illustrates. I've seen where folks aren't turning hard enough.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Owners unfamiliar with how to unlock their cars in the event of an electrical failure has plagued every BMW forum I've ever been on...going back to my first BMW...a 1985 e30 325e. In each case 99% of the time it is OPERATOR ERROR. First, most asking the question either missed it, forgot it, or never read the info in their owners manual...then when told what to do...they many times fail to turn the key far enough counter clockwise to the manual unlock position.

This is the manual unlock position for the driver's door (as an example that the lock DOES turn that far)....if your's don't, then when was the last time you lubricated your locks?

-

If you can gain entry into the cabin of the car...all that is required to jump start the car or charge the battery is to lift the hood and connect jumper cables or a battery charger to the posts in the engine bay. Screwdrivers & cig lighters seem like a whole bunch of effort if you have the proper tools to jump or charge:

Jump Start instructions from owners manual:

6 cylinder engines:

8 cylinder engines:

BTW...the same goes for the trunk lock cylinder on the e39 sedan (the e39 Touring does not have an external lock cylinder...but the tail gate can be opened manually from inside...see your owners manual for instruction).

-
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-03-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '02 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc325i View Post
    ^ Tough read!
    Man thanks. I thought it was just me.
    Old, contrary, and out-of-touch,
    but still learning sumpin' every day
    NOTORIOUSLY long-winded :-(

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=502380

I wrote the same thing in a reply to a post here where a E38 couldnt be opened!

Can be done on almost any car, and probably works a lot better than plugging in the license lights haha.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I'll gather all this info together and place it in both the DIY section and the FAQ.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by evertoconquer View Post
    Thank you so much CNN, that was the ticket. The locksmith said he wouldn't touch it, too much liability.

I think this should be put into the DIY section, surely I'm not the only one this has ever happened to here.
    So did you succeed with this trick of "Red Cable" jumping?

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    CNN, worked like a charm, thanks for the link and info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast