Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E66 750Li Transmission Fault (intermittent)

My Cars
    2007 335i

E66 750Li Transmission Fault (intermittent)

Occasionally after the car has been running for a while and I park it w/o turning the car off, when I engage Drive I will get a message something along the lines of "Transmission Fault, only P, N, R, D3 and D5 are available, drive moderately..."

When this happens I can put it in park, turn the car off and then start back up and everything is fine.

I've read about a similar problem on the 5-series boards and the only solution I read was a new battery solved the problem???

This isn't too critical right now, but I'd like to know if any of you 7'ers have experienced this and what your solution was.

Thanks for any input,
    Wes

My Cars
    2007 335i
    At BMW service center now...will post results here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post21075140

My Cars
    02' 745Li, 03' X5 4.6is
    cracked seal between the mechatronic and transmission

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoetze1 View Post
    cracked seal between the mechatronic and transmission
    Is this a common issue??? Not covered by CPO???

My Cars
    02' 745Li, 03' X5 4.6is
    Fairly common. I believe CPO will cover it, but don't quote me on that.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoetze1 View Post
    Fairly common. I believe CPO will cover it, but don't quote me on that.
    Well it looks like CPO used to cover it but not any more. If you click on the link in my second post you will find the rest of the story so far.

My Cars
    06 330I, 11 GTI, 04 X5
    yea...idk about that...pretty sure cpo covers that?

My Cars
    2007 335i

Hmmmm.....

Ok, it took some digging, and I ultimately found this on another forum that I am not a member of...but there seems to be a SIB out for this repair...that specifically covers this topic for MANY cars with my transmission.

SIB 24 08 06 attached.

I have emailed my SA about this...waiting for response. Clearly states that CPO cars are covered for this repair.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Copied from other thread

The mechatronik sleeve was not the problem. Apparently the problem was a seal next to the sleeve that is located somewhere between the sleeve and the valvebody. This seal (like all other seals) is not covered by CPO. Plus, the TSB I found (SIB 24 08 06) stated that the mechatronik sleeve problem would cause an external oil leak and this was not the case. HOWEVER - the mechatronik sleeve does get replaced as a result of this repair because it is necessary to remove it to get to the other seal. If it was not the cause of the problem then they will not bill it to BMW as such, even though they go through the same procedure listed on the TSB to replace it.

The seal (described as an odd figure-8 looking thing about 2" tall) was causing an internal leak and pressure loss. Also related to the occasional "skip" I would feel at part throttle in a high gear at low speed.

Bottom line: GMPP covers this repair. $200 deductible applies. Looks like I am not getting out of this one. BUT I will be writing BMW about this quality issue. IMO, this kind of repair at 70,000 miles is a little ridiculous.

My Cars
    BMW 320i
    I have replaced those seals with cars with less then 30k miles. I'm surprised CPO did not cover the mechatronic square seal, if I were you I would double check on that.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by thundermax View Post
    I have replaced those seals with cars with less then 30k miles. I'm surprised CPO did not cover the mechatronic square seal, if I were you I would double check on that.
    I will check on it. For future reference and for forum searchers out there the square seal that went bad is pn 24 34 7 588 727, although realoem.com says the actual pn for my car is 24 34 7 571 211...the parts look the same. For the 6-cyl cars the part is 24 34 7 588 724.

My Cars
    2006 750i
    So how often does the sleeve fail? Mine is being replaced at 38k.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by duckwood View Post
    So how often does the sleeve fail? Mine is being replaced at 38k.
    Often enough that it got BMW's attention to write a SB and cover it under the limited CPO warranty. That's pretty bad.

On top of everything I dealt with that I wrote about within the 2 threads about the transmission problem I dealt with, I just recently found the SB related to my actual problem, the square seal above the mechatronic. Turns out the dealership knew that there actually was a SB related to my problem and EVEN THOUGH IT STATES THAT IT IS COVERED UNDER CPO THEY MADE MY OTHER WARRANTY PAY FOR IT BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T GET THE "SYSTEM" TO ACCEPT THE CHARGES UNDER CPO. Now THAT is crazy.

Obviously after I found the SB (on my own) I got in touch with the service manager and asked (politely) why my CPO didn't cover it, even though I know he didn't have a leg to stand on. He said he tried entering it into the system again and guess what? It magically worked this time!

Long story short, he is refunding my deductible for the GMPP plan, refunding their money, and charging the work to the CPO.

Can you say FRAUD???

Attached: SB related to square mechatronic seal, covered under BMW warranty.

My Cars
    2006 bmwxi
    2006 xi 42,000: Noticed oil leaking from the area of the Mechatronic Sealing Sleeve area, and the pan gasket. Spoke with BMW Dealer - they will not cover it as it out of warranty even though there is a SB on the issue.

Seems like BMW would have a better design or compensation for this known problem. Repair will exceed $700.00.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li

Does the BMWTis info apply to Canada?

Hello guys!

I just purchased a preowned 2007 BMW 750li with the same problem.
    The trani is leaking oil on the plate but not the floor. The vehicle runs fine and there aren't any warning lights.
    I had it checked by the BMW dealer and they quoted me for around $1300 Cdn including taxes.

On the BMWTis info provided, my vehicle falls on the categories.
    I still have BMW certified extended warranty and am surprised and happy to find out that it might get covered.

Before I present this info to BMW I wanted to know if the info provided on the BMWTis PDFs applies to Canada?!!!

I'll keep you guys updated to what response I get from BMW Canada.

Thank you!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    Having the same symptoms on my 07 750Li after having my trans pan/gasket and mech sleeve replaced by the dealership. Transmission faults and DSC Malfunctions as well. They are saying now that I need a new Comfort Access Control Unit. The faults and malfunctions were caused by the Comfort Access System partially draining the battery.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    Wasn't the CAS or the Comfort Access Control unit. They found RTV silicone in the EGS control unit connector which was shorting the bus line out randomly depending on the vehicles vibration. Replaced connector, pins and housing. Labor $558, parts $35!

My Cars
    2007 750 Li

Unhappy Mechatronics trouble

Hi...my first time to post, so bear with me please....i have a 2007 BMW 750Li....i had some leaking under my car, so took it in, they had to replace some kind of transmission seal...cost me $600....they fixed it...i drove it home...30 minutes later, when i got back in it and started it, a transmission fault light came on, and a terrible "clunking" sound happened at the same time...took it back to BMW lot, they kept it a WEEK, said they could never get it to make the noise (every woman's nightmare...hear a noise on the car, take it in, no one ever hears it, lol)....so i took the car again...an hour later, it happened again! So now they have had the car almost another week, and now they are saying that my mechatronics something or other has to be replaced...to the tune of $3800!!! Luckily my son in law is a mechanic, so he may be able to help me with this...i just find it such a coincidence that they replace a seal, THEN warning lights and problems start happening...just curious if anyone else has had this happen....thanks so much!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    @sheriNtexas.....This is exactly what happened to me. I took my car in for an oil change and they said they found a tranny leak. I needed a new seal, mechatronics sleeve, pan and filter. ($971). Prior to this, i had no transmission faults. Next day, when i started the car....transmission fault. Turned it off, restarted it and it went away. Took it back and they had my car for 10 days and said there was an electrical issue and they had to check all 70 some odd modules to see where it was. Long story short, they say it was an open circuit in the EGS. (681.46). I still think it had something to do with the repair the did initially, but im no mechanic.

My Cars
    2007 750 Li
    Quote Originally Posted by djrick508 View Post
    @sheriNtexas.....This is exactly what happened to me. I took my car in for an oil change and they said they found a tranny leak. I needed a new seal, mechatronics sleeve, pan and filter. ($971). Prior to this, i had no transmission faults. Next day, when i started the car....transmission fault. Turned it off, restarted it and it went away. Took it back and they had my car for 10 days and said there was an electrical issue and they had to check all 70 some odd modules to see where it was. Long story short, they say it was an open circuit in the EGS. (681.46). I still think it had something to do with the repair the did initially, but im no mechanic.
    My son-in-law wants me to go up there and demand to know WHY this all of a sudden happened AFTER they worked on replacing the seal...he is a mechanic, and i wish he could go with me and stand up for me, but he has to deal with them all the time, and really can't get involved....my car never had this problem until after they worked on it...now all of a sudden, i need the whole mechatronics system replaced to the tune of $4000...i am not very good at standing up for myself, i'm not married, so maybe my dad can go up there with me and demand some answers....so frustrated....

My Cars
    2007 bmw 750li

trans fault

I had the same problem haven,t been fitted yet.Took it to the dealer they tried to charge me 2700 $. For everything but what you guys are talking about. So i just want to thank all of you for this information...

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750 li

06 BMW 750li won't start flashing transmission need help

I just Got a 2006 BMW 750LI FROM police auction , it drove fine with no issues for 3 days , now when I am trying to start the car, from the push start, the arrows where the D R N IS FLASHING AND NW IT SAY TRANSMISSION FAULT. BU THE BMW WON'T START FROM THE PUSH BUTTON.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    responded to your other thread.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2008 BMW 750i sport
    This type of threads scare me....

Quote Originally Posted by Needsomeinfo View Post
    I just Got a 2006 BMW 750LI FROM police auction , it drove fine with no issues for 3 days , now when I am trying to start the car, from the push start, the arrows where the D R N IS FLASHING AND NW IT SAY TRANSMISSION FAULT. BU THE BMW WON'T START FROM THE PUSH BUTTON.
    If your tranmission isnt making any noises when tring to start then there might be a sensor thats out of place and needs to be looked at i hav a 2008 7 and my transmission sensor failed clausing it to not start sensor was burned now changed it works like it did berfore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast