Thread: pulling & rolling fenders?

My Cars
    1980 bmw 320i

Cool pulling & rolling fenders?

The 333i inspired me a lot.... I'm wondering how to pull my fenders or roll them, not quite sure what the difference is I just love the look on the dinan car. So how do I do this guys? I got my parts car to practice on if this is a thing of trial and error. Thanks all!

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Rolling your fenders entails using a fender roller like this to roll in the metal 'lip' on the inside of the wheel arch. This allows you to run wider tires/lower offset/wider track without cutting the piss out of your tires or needing to run absurdly negative camber.

The ghetto way to accomplish this is to use tightly rolled newspaper (or a baseball bat). Lower the car and roll it with the tire to push up the lip (poor explaination). In most cases (unless you are really good) this ends up looking like shit.

"Pulling" your fenders means actually hammering out the fenders to be wider and higher. Sort of a poor man's fender flare.

My Cars
    1980 bmw 320i
    The 333's fenders are pulled right?.... do I take a BFH and a sand bag and hammer them out?....im not quite sure how id go about this D:

And poor man's is the budget lol!.... I'd much rather say I did that when someone compliments something on my car then saying I bought it and stuck it on there or took it to a shop and they did it.
    Last edited by rallyhomey; 12-21-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1982 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyhomey View Post
    The 333's fenders are pulled right?.... do I take a BFH and a sand bag and hammer them out?....im not quite sure how id go about this D:

And poor man's is the budget lol!.... I'd much rather say I did that when someone compliments something on my car then saying I bought it and stuck it on there or took it to a shop and they did it.

I think the 333s fenders actually had metal added to them

My Cars
    2004 545i
    any car that comes from the factory will have the fender flares pressed in some sort of a machine, its extremely difficult to do it yourself...and youll be lucky if the metal doesnt wrinkle, not to mention the paint chipping.

if you want to run wide tires, just get a heat gun and a body hammer. heat the fender lip, and slowly go around hitting the lip to bend it into the inside of the fender. if you go slowly enough, and dont hit too hard, and make sure its always around 110 degrees where youre hammering, (and with a bit of luck) your paint shouldnt chip.

when i did this, it took me about 45 minutes a fender...take your time, and if you find a way to do it without killing your back let me know

My Cars
    1980 bmw 320i
    Could you post pics on how yours turned out? I'm really not worried about paint its already bad and plans for colour change are pretty soon. I thought I could use bondo to finish them up and make them cleaner looking

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    This is my understanding. Someone check me ...
    Below is stock, rolled, then pulled (?)
    Eric P.

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    On the 323i I rented a machine for the tire rack that bolts to the axles using the lugnuts and rolls the fender lips and quater lips up and inward.

My car was in primer at that time, the next step is after it was restored was to build the wider rims. BBS RMs 15 x 8 rear and 15 x 7 .5 front are built and ready to go on, while you can go wider I dont want to right now...
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    (1.5x) 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pommeree View Post
    This is my understanding. Someone check me ...
    Below is stock, rolled, then pulled (?)
    brilliance

My Cars
    81 323i 86 535i 08 335i
    This thread is relevant to my interest.
    80 B6, 81 & 82 323, 85 745i, 86 535i-all euro. 01 750iL Blk/Blk 08 335i

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by BIMMERBOYZ View Post
    This thread is relevant to my interest.
    I welcome you to this thread.
    Eric P.