Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick & Dirty Shoot - Jeremy and I

My Cars
    E30 / ???

Quick & Dirty Shoot - Jeremy and I

Not completely satisfied with these shots but I thought I should post them anyways. We only had about half an hour as we both had plans right after leaving the parking garage, sun wasn't as low as I wanted so I did more post processing than I originally would have but results turned out alright considering. I may upload more later.

Next time will be better.

Jeremy's car reminds me that I really am not satisfied with the way my car looks stock. :P
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 12-14-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Because it needed to be stated.
    - break (verb) to separate into parts with suddenness or violence
    - brake (noun) something used to slow down or stop movement or activity

Mscire2 is offline That one RS'd Coupe BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    02 ///M Coupe, E39, E36
    Both coupes look great!

My Cars
    W205, Z3
    lol @ your license plate. Nice rides fellas.
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster Hardtop - Boston Green/Black, Magnaflow 14815, Headers, Custom CAI, IE RSM, ACS Shocks/Struts + H&R Sport, M54 Manifold, Cosmos Strut Brace.

2007 335i Sedan 6 speed - Black/Black

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Thanks for taking the time to meet up and take these shots, Devon. They turned out pretty good. Especially considering my car was covered in dust from autocross the day before. Seriously, FILTHY!

BTW, I like your E368 SUV, looks ready to rally.

I keed, I keed. It actually doesn't look as high as I remember stock. I'm not sure why...
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    Very pretty cars! The side by side pics only prove:
    a.) how much nicer the stock wheels are.
    b.) how much nicer that stubby antenna looks.
    c.) how a little tint on the coupe windows can make a big improvement in appearance!
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    M45, M Roadster
    the stock antenna make it look more like a toy, lol.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8 COUPE
    Really nice pictures. I tried taking some with a Nikon D90, but my skills are far from yours.

The stock M Coupe rims look awesome and I like them more
    1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8****Dinan CAI, Dinan Stage II Software, Dinan Exausts, Dinan Engine Cross Brace, Dinan pedals, and saggy glove box fix. More to come.....

My Cars
    E30 / ???
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to meet up and take these shots, Devon. They turned out pretty good. Especially considering my car was covered in dust from autocross the day before. Seriously, FILTHY!

BTW, I like your E368 SUV, looks ready to rally.

I keed, I keed. It actually doesn't look as high as I remember stock. I'm not sure why...
    No problem man, can't believe it took me this long to see your latest coupe. I told you the dirt wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't hosed down my car, THEN you would have seen a dirty car. Plus your car has a certain aura about it. It photographs very well.

Haha I know, I've been putting off the very short list of things I want for this car. It will happen some day.

Quote Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
    c.) how a little tint on the coupe windows can make a big improvement in appearance!
    A) Really? I guess I'm in the minority that things the roadstars/starfish wheels are pretty boring.
    B) I like the rc car look heh, but I do agree.
    C) Agreed, although in some places thanks to the windows starting to have problems the tint will need to be redone at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Really nice pictures. I tried taking some with a Nikon D90, but my skills are far from yours.

Thank you. That means a lot. I've never had any formal training these were shot on my old trusty D60. So when I can make interesting shots that people enjoy looking at I'm thinking I'm doing something right. The D90 is an amazing camera and you'll grow into it I'm sure though. I've seen where my D60's quality drops, and I want to upgrade.

I really want to get a D7000, and the only reason I want it over the discounted D90 it replaced is to take my stab at DSLR HD Movie shorts (it can use the AF-S lenses to Autofocus a 20 minute long HD Movie before saving it and needing to start another movie file, that's impressive.) And as the new workhorse a D700... but that's money I don't have right now.

It's all about using the camera as much as you can really, along with quality glass. ( I was using a rented lens that I just happen to have this weekend for another shoot )

I think it helps that before I ever grabbed a professional camera I had many years behind photoshop. Really post process is where the magic happens and can make a mediocre shot look great if you know how to bring something to light and hide your mistakes as a photographer.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    d.) how much nicer the stock headlights look.

Devo, mod that thing already. I'm ahead in 1 season.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    VThe side by side pics only prove how much nicer the stock wheels are.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Meh. I think Roadstars are some nice looking stock wheels, but I really like my Work Equips. It's not like I put them on the car on accident.

Same with the headlights...

To each their own.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    00 Dinan M Cpe, 03 530i
    beautiful cars...great pics!!!

The side by side pics only prove:
    how much nicer the stock wheels are.
    yeah, i get that a lot too.

My Cars
    2002 Z3, Pathfinder(R50)
    Great pics...both cars look great.

And you guys are nuts when it comes to Jeremy wheels...they are PERFECT for his car. That was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the pics.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by ArticZ View Post
    Great pics...both cars look great.

And you guys are nuts when it comes to Jeremy wheels...they are PERFECT for his car. That was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the pics.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    E28 528e - M5 Reimagined
    LOL, I looked at the isolated LSB shot and was beginning to wonder what the hell you were thinking in post processing...? Then I realized it wasn't actually the same estoril coupe photographed earlier.

A bit over saturated for my tastes, but I'm digging the cars. A bit hard in harsh sunlight to really nail colours/saturation/exposure though.

One bit of constructive criticism for you (choose to ignore if you disagree), I tend to find shots are much more visually interesting (especially car shots) if you move the subject/horizon line out of the center of the frame. Crop up or down as required, but try to use the rule of thirds. (see attachment for quick and dirty edited version)

What lens were you using?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zengineer; 12-15-2010 at 01:20 AM.
    A long history of various BMW's. Today, its a 1985 528e that isn't stock!

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post

I'd have to really see both sets in person to make that call. It's harder to judge the headlights from the photos. But, we are really just splitting hairs here. Both cars are amazing!
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    97' M44 Roadster
    Fine azz MCoupe's you two...I'm partial to the Estoril but damn I luv me some of dem wheels on Jeremy's ride. Did these two cars make sexy time???
    "Dezmar, your hood has an airfoil. The scoop is raised and it forms an airplanes airfoil. This knocks out the top atoms and allows the bottom atoms to Lift!! You will loose your hood on the highway and hit another car, causing it to crash and someone will Die! (I took it off)"

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    My wife said he must have clicked the "car wash button" in Photoshop. I agree!

My Cars
    E30 / ???
    Thanks again guys.

I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Zengineer View Post
    LOL, I looked at the isolated LSB shot and was beginning to wonder what the hell you were thinking in post processing...? Then I realized it wasn't actually the same estoril coupe photographed earlier.

A bit over saturated for my tastes, but I'm digging the cars. A bit hard in harsh sunlight to really nail colours/saturation/exposure though.

One bit of constructive criticism for you (choose to ignore if you disagree), I tend to find shots are much more visually interesting (especially car shots) if you move the subject/horizon line out of the center of the frame. Crop up or down as required, but try to use the rule of thirds. (see attachment for quick and dirty edited version)

What lens were you using?
    Yeah, definitely wasn't my ideal lighting or setup. With the light I just decided to go with more saturation after seeing what I did with the camera alone. Went with some more of the details of the cars without too much contrast. Some photographers go for the overdone extreme contrast that hurts your eyes looking at car photos, I really dislike that. I didn't want anything close to that but I wanted to bump it up just enough through many techniques on many layers to really show the harsh sun going down, instead of just a washed out look. If it was done 30 minutes after we ended, it wouldn't have been any problem of course.

I appreciate constructive criticism, and I normally play by the rule of 3rds. And you picked the one shot I was most lazy with haha, You're right - I could have taken the extra 30 seconds to edit out the light posts and crop it better.

The lens was a Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8. I wanted it's update the ( Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 ) but didn't reserve it in time. I could have used another the lens specifically for this shoot but this was the best glass I had at the time.

The purpose for renting the lens was for shooting a friends' band the night before. It's always a fun time. In the past I've used 50mm primes, 85mm, some fisheyes, but for the most part I like what I shot. I still have about 200 pictures to revise and upload but the first 30 or so are here if you want to have a gander. The D60 with quality glass is great, but does show some noise, even with playing with ISO and shutter speed. I'm sure cleaning the sensor would help some too... I'd love to upgrade soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bur1on/...7625605164196/
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 12-16-2010 at 09:32 AM.

My Cars
    N/A
    +1 The aftermarket projectors just look so "aftermarket."

My Cars
    52 MGTD, 02 Ford, 00 Z3
    Makes me upset that I didn't bid on 4 roadstars listed on my cities police srupus sale last year, will not make that mistake again all 4 went for $100 total.

My Cars
    E30 / ???
    Jeremy - Meet tonight I10 and Ray Rd @ the In N Out. azbmw.org for exact address.

Colin is in town so him and I are going to head down to it.
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 12-16-2010 at 04:16 PM.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    Jeremy - Meet tonight I10 and Ray Rd @ the In N Out. azbmw.org for exact address.

Colin is in town so him and I are going to head down to it.
    You single guys and your free time. Wish I could join ya... Thanks for the heads up.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Nice shots... I need winter to pass, so I can take some more shots.

There will be a "special edition" shoot in a few weeks though

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    C) Agreed, although in some places thanks to the windows starting to have problems the tint will need to be redone at some point.
    Like along the front edge of the front windows, perhaps? That's where I'm having problems.

Thank you. That means a lot. I've never had any formal training these were shot on my old trusty D60. So when I can make interesting shots that people enjoy looking at I'm thinking I'm doing something right.
    Lookin' pretty good. One thing to really watch out for is lighting and offset. Some of those would have been really nice if you hadn't been pointed pretty much AT the sun! Just washes out the image and causes glare/reflection among the internal elements of the lenses.

As for Jeremy's car, I like it, but tint already! And those headlights... they look good on your car... of course I can say that I helped make that happen ...

My Cars
    E28 528e - M5 Reimagined

I appreciate constructive criticism, and I normally play by the rule of 3rds. And you picked the one shot I was most lazy with haha, You're right - I could have taken the extra 30 seconds to edit out the light posts and crop it better.
    Yeah, things with trees or lamp posts, etc. growing out of the top of them never quite look right in the end. My edits (in lightroom) were pretty quick and crude, wouldn't take long to do in PS though.

The lens was a Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8. I wanted it's update the ( Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 ) but didn't reserve it in time. I could have used another the lens specifically for this shoot but this was the best glass I had at the time.
    Great lens, I thought it was that focal length, was wondering whether it was a cheaper zoom or "the beast" itself. 24-70 is a bit better, but you're not losing much with the 28-70. (except calories as you lug it around)

The purpose for renting the lens was for shooting a friends' band the night before. It's always a fun time. In the past I've used 50mm primes, 85mm, some fisheyes, but for the most part I like what I shot. I still have about 200 pictures to revise and upload but the first 30 or so are here if you want to have a gander. The D60 with quality glass is great, but does show some noise, even with playing with ISO and shutter speed. I'm sure cleaning the sensor would help some too... I'd love to upgrade soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bur1on/...7625605164196/
    Well your D60 processes high ISO way better than my archaic body (D200). SLR's have come a long way in 4 short years. After 50,000 clicks on mine I should probably upgrade at some point as well. My money is mostly in my glass too.

Nice shots, you really captured the feel at the concert. Poor ambient light is always a challenge, I've shot some concerts and the like as well. Often I'll use strobes but the ambient shots can be really cool. (if a little less consistent)
    A long history of various BMW's. Today, its a 1985 528e that isn't stock!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast