Thread: Clutch Compatibility/Questions

My Cars
    1994 325ic

Clutch Compatibility/Questions

I'm replacing the clutch and transmission in my 94 325i. I know the 318 and 325 use the same GETRAG transmission.

But I was wondering is there any difference in the clutch kits for them? I looked on gripforces website and all they have listed for some reason is the 318 or the M3. I can also use a 91-95 525i clutch with my oem flywheel right?

THanks

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Both 318 and M3 clutches are the wrong diameter for your setup. The 318 clutch is 8.46in in diameter. The M3 clutch is 9.45in in diameter. The correct clutch that will mate to your flywheel is 8.98in in diameter. The 318 clutch will fit against your flywheel, but I can't guarantee that it will hold up as long as you would hope. If you go with the M3 clutch, you will need the flywheel with the correct diameter mating surface. Flywheel diameter, engine torque, and application have everything to do with what type of clutch to use, not the transmission.

All E36 clutches will fit both the Getrag 250 and ZF 310/320 transmissions because the input shafts are the same. There are also clutches from other BMWs that will fit to the E36. Take for example the E34 M5 clutch. It is the same diameter as the E36 328/M3 clutch and therefore mates to the E36 328/M3 flywheel. Also, AFAIK, most BMWs used the same spline configuration at the tip of the input shaft of the transmission, which makes clutches a bit more universal. I know this is true for the E28, E30, E34, E36, and E46.
    Last edited by orangehatter; 12-07-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Semper Fidelis

H&R /// Koni /// Powerflex /// AKG
    My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    Thank you orangehatter!

I actually found the clutch kit for the 325i had to go through what feels like a million auctions.

But one last questions, I know your are not supposed to resurface dual mass flywheels, so does that mean i just install the clutch kit and im good? What should i look for to show signs i need to repalce the flywheel?

My car has 183K on it but who knows if the previous owners ever changed it.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Your flywheel surface is similar to your brake rotors. It should be smooth with no ridges. I replaced my clutch a year ago and my flywheel had some minor ridges on it. I didn't have the cash for a new flywheel so I left it on. I haven't had any issues so far after 5000 miles. You'll have to judge for yourself when you get in there.

What are you putting in for a tranny? I'm getting rid of my Getrag in the spring and putting in a ZF I got a good deal on.

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous User View Post
    My car has 183K on it but who knows if the previous owners ever changed it.
    Depends, but I'm going to venture to say no. Unless the PO knew these cars and didn't cut corners on any kind of clutch install, then I'm guessing that the dual mass flywheel was probably not swapped out. At 183k miles it is probably quite scored. I'd venture to get something solid mass and lighter.
    Semper Fidelis

H&R /// Koni /// Powerflex /// AKG
    My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by orangehatter View Post
    Depends, but I'm going to venture to say no. Unless the PO knew these cars and didn't cut corners on any kind of clutch install, then I'm guessing that the dual mass flywheel was probably not swapped out. At 183k miles it is probably quite scored. I'd venture to get something solid mass and lighter.
    Thanks..Hopefully its not bad.

but since you said i can use a clutch disc that is 8.9", does that mean i could use this clutch kit even tho it doesnt list my car?

http://www.godspeedproject.com/store...roducts_id=567

After doing some some OEM p/n cross referencing...looks like i can use a clutch kit from any of these cars, since they all share the same p/n for clutch kits and share disc diameter.

Part # - 21211223546

This item fits the following BMWs:
    1992-1999 E36 BMW 325i 325is 325ic 323is 323ic
    1991-1995 E34 BMW 525i
    5/1986-1988 E30 BMW 325e 325es

And thanks again orangehatter, you were very helpful and you know your stuff.

going to get started on dropping my transmission tomorrow, after i buy the External torx sockets set.
    Last edited by Anonymous User; 12-09-2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 328i sedan
    Hello new here to this forum I ma doing the same deal with my 1998 328i sedan and want to know more about the right disc. Also its got 143k on it should i expect scoring on the flywheel I drive brisk to be kind.

My Cars
    96 318i , 93 320i
    im new here also and have been searching thread after thread trying to find an answer my self. the cars a 1992 e36 320i, euro spec i believe and the clutch is on my to do list.i was wondering what size it would be and haven't been able to find the information i need other that one similar forum with a guy stating his clutch size in a similar car was 228 mm. now assuming he is being exact with a clutch kit that is 228.6 mm fit ? or are we talking absolute precision ? any help would be appreciated.