Thread: Picture of cause of P0741 code - Bad Torque Converter Seal

My Cars
    2001 530i

Picture of cause of P0741 code - Bad Torque Converter Seal

I repaired the dreaded P0741 error by replacing the torque converter. I am posting a picture of what the defective seal looks like for anyone interested. The arrow in picture points to missing part of seal. There should be seal material, not a shiny metal surface at arrow tip. You can feel rough edge of broken seal with your finger. There was also a broken piece of the seal at bottom of torque converter.
    Last edited by cwelty; 12-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.

My Cars
    97 528i
    wow this looks intimidating... how long was the process to change? Can you feel a difference in performance?

My Cars
    2001 530i
    I worked at slow pace and probably spent about 15 hours to do the repair. I did it on jack stands, which makes job take longer. Almost all the time is spent removing and installing the transmission. Once the transmission is out of the car is only take a minute to pull off the torque converter and put on the new one. I bought a rebuilt torque converter from Eriksson Industries (authorized ZF distributor in USA). I also use Valvoline Max Life transmission fluid (rated LT71141 on label).

I can post more pictures if anyone is interested.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I'm just amazed you got it drained down and cleaned enough to get that picture. You can drain a converter for weeks, and it will still manage to dribble oil on the camera lens.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 530i
    It was hard to drain down the torque converter enough to take a nice picture of missing seal. I used a syringe and paper towels to get all the fluid out over the course of a couple days.

It was important to me to see that I actually did have a problem with the torque converter, and not some other part of the lock up system such as a solenoid.

Fixing this problem did not help drivability at all, it just will help with better MPG and lower RPMs at higher speeds. I mainly wanted to fix it so that my "Service Engine" light would go off.

It was a ZF 5HP-19 (A5S 325Z) transmission. Failure occured approx 60,000 miles.
    Last edited by cwelty; 12-03-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M Coupe, Fiat Spider 2000
    Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures! You are braver than me for doing it yourself. I've had enough DIY for awhile after tackling a bad A/C blower motor inside the dash. I'm taking her in to the local transmission shop next week for the same problem and will print out your picture of the bad seal. Thanks again for sharing!

My Cars
    any time, any place
    Common issue on these A5S 325Z torque converters unfortunately. We stock remans at good pricing, you can find them here:
    http://www.eactuning.com/parts/produ...ls/24407519535

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
    Common issue on these A5S 325Z torque converters unfortunately. We stock remans at good pricing, you can find them here:
    Is there a refund for the core? That is a pretty good pricing. And does the reman come with a warrenty?

After looking closely, there is a 200 refund for the core.

How much is this shipped to hong kong?
    Last edited by Jim530i; 02-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    any time, any place
    Jim, I will look into the shipping options for you and send you a private message with some more info as it is available to me.

thanks!

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
    Jim, I will look into the shipping options for you and send you a private message with some more info as it is available to me.

thanks!
    Please do.....please do.....

Cheapest shipping method preferred as I am used to a bad torque converter.....

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
    Mark,

Who rebuilds your torque converters? Thanks.

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    97 740IL
    I just bought a E38 and it has the same code. I changed the transmission fluid hopping that would help but now looks as if I have to replace the TC. Anyone know of a DIY thread on this? or recommend any good tranny shops in SoCal? I'm willing to put in the hours to fix this myself but I need to see if I can find a DIY that can help me out :/

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You have a ZF5HP24. This seal problem applies to the ZF5HP19, and only to the cars with the multi-plate clutch. This would be E39 530s, E46 330s, and certain Audis. This particular thread has no more relevance to your car than a thread in the Chevy Lumina forums.
    I'm not saying your problem isn't the converter. What I am saying is that there is no pattern failure in the '24. Blindly replacing the converter to see if it fixes it has only slightly better odds than blindly replacing the fluid. It needs to be diagnosed first.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    How much did the rebuilt one cost you?

My Cars
    bmw

torque converter issue possibly

Quote Originally Posted by cwelty View Post
    I repaired the dreaded P0741 error by replacing the torque converter. I am posting a picture of what the defective seal looks like for anyone interested. The arrow in picture points to missing part of seal. There should be seal material, not a shiny metal surface at arrow tip. You can feel rough edge of broken seal with your finger. There was also a broken piece of the seal at bottom of torque converter.
    could this be the reason why there was transmission fluid flying around in the front of my transmission and leaking everywere mind this i rebuilt my transmission and still the same problem

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by maxnest View Post
    could this be the reason why there was transmission fluid flying around in the front of my transmission and leaking everywere mind this i rebuilt my transmission and still the same problem
    No, this is an internal seal. A leak just bypasses the lock-up clutch inside the torque converter, preventing it from being fully applied. The leaking fluid simply joins the fluid returning to the transmission from the torque converter.

There is a single external seal for the torque converter. It rarely fails. A leak around the seal is usually because the oil pump bushing seizes to the torque converter, resulting in the bushing spinning in the oil pump housing. The resulting bouncing causes even a still-intact seal to leak. The leak can be quite bad because of pressure from the adjacent pump.