Thread: DIY: Converting US Spec E36 4L30E TCU Equipped Vehicles to Euro Spec E36 4L30E TCU

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto

DIY: Converting US Spec E36 4L30E TCU Equipped Vehicles to Euro Spec E36 4L30E TCU

WARNING – Attempt at your own risk

Some Background

I was asked if it was possible to have sport mode for all four gears of the 4L30E automatic transmission. To enter into sport mode in US spec models, the transmission is placed in “3,” limiting sport mode to three gear ranges. The Euro spec Z3s have a separate switch for sport mode and do not require the shifter to be moved at all. This allows sport mode to have four gear ranges for the Euro spec models.

BMW used the 4L30E in Euro Z3 models of the 4 cylinder and 2.8 6 cylinder. The 2.5 version had a 5-speed automatic that was not available in the US until the later model Z3s.

Although it is not necessary to purchase a Euro spec TCU, it is the easiest way to get the Euro spec TCU software. I believe that BMW software loaders require a Euro spec DME to load the Euro spec TCU software. This is because the software loader checks the DME version to determine which TCU software version to load.

Some model Z3s may come pre-wired for the Euro spec sport mode switch. For these models, one only has to continue the wiring from the X69 connector to the interior console (BMW has already ran wiring from the TCU connector to the X69 connector for you). Method 2 covers those models that do not have the wiring up to the X69 connector. It requires running wires directly from the TCU.

Euro Spec Advantages:

* Sport mode controlled by switch

* Allows the capability of S/E/M modes to be controlled remotely (via steering wheel controls, etc.)

* Eliminates cold start high rev shifting

* May provide enhanced throttle controlled shifting

Parts Needed:

* US Spec E36 M3 or Euro Spec E36 S/E/M Transmission Program Control Switch (3 position)

* Connector X69 pin and wire OR
    * Bosch TCU small double leaf spring contacts (two)

* ELO connector for S/E/M switch

* ELO pin socket for S/E/M connector (one)

* Euro Spec TCU

The following nomenclature will be used:

Pin – “pin” is used to signify a male contact
    Pin Contact – “pin contact” is used to signify a female pin contact or socket

There are two methods for installing the missing Sport Mode ground wire depending on whether the vehicle has been pre-wired to some extent.

Method 1 – Pre-Wired:

Some US Spec E36 models have wiring pre-installed that connects pins 12 and 17 of the TCU to pin contact 22 of connector X69 (center round connector of the three round connectors near the fuse box). This can be easily verified by removing the TCU connector and inserting a pin or other contact material into pin contact 12 and testing for continuity with pin contact 22 at connector X69.

Inserting a pin into hole 22 in the base of connector X69, allows the connection to pins 12 and 17 to be extended to the S/E/M program switch via the driver side firewall. A single wire is attached to the newly added pin and run through the fuse box wiring hole in the firewall or through a drilled hole in the driver’s side firewall (two plastic plates separating the firewall can be drilled and grommets used to pass through the firewall).

Method 2 – Not Pre-Wired:

For vehicles without the pre-installed wiring, Bosch TCU pin contacts can be inserted into the holes for pins 12 and 17. The wiring from the two pins should then be joined into a single wire and run through the firewall on the passenger side. The wire can be routed through the vent for the ECU/TCU bay or any other available grommet.

For Method 1 or Method 2:

Once through the firewall, the wire is routed under the dash to the console and out to the S/E/M switch by the gear selector. The wire is then connected to pin 7 of the S/E/M connector.

The A/M program switch uses a 6 POL connector. The S/E/M program switch uses a 10 POL connector. Thus, the existing 5 pins of the A/M switch need to be removed and transferred to the new 10 POL connector.

Program Mode Factory Wiring Colors (for a 1997 1.9 model):

Yellow/Brown – “A” or “E” program mode
    Yellow/White – “M” program mode
    Yellow/Green – “S” program mode (factory specified color – your new wiring may differ)
    Green/White – 12 volt power
    Brown - Ground

Pinouts

A/M Pinout

Pin 5 – Power
    Pin 2 – Ground
    Pin 3 – “A” mode
    Pin 1 – “M” mode

M3 S/E/M Pinout Conversion

Pin 2 – Power – Pin 5 Power from A/M (green/white)
    Pin 5 – Ground – Pin 2 Ground from A/M (brown)
    Pin 10 – “E” – Pin 3 “A” from A/M (yellow/brown)
    Pin 1 – “M” – Pin 1 “M” from A/M (yellow/white)
    Pin 7 – “S” – New pin contact added from X69 or TCU

M3 S/E/M Switch

61-31-1-387-034

M3 Switch Connector

61-13-6-909-008 Universal socket housing uncoded 10 POL (61-13-1-383-842 superseded by 61-13-6-909-008)

M3 S/E/M Switch Pin Contact and Wire

61-13-0-005-197 – Newly added pin contact for “S” mode Pin 7 of M3 S/E/M switch

X69 Connector Male Pin w/wire:

61-13-0-007-452 Circular contact 2.5 with Cable

Insert new male pin into pin hole #22 in the base of the connector. Run the wire to the center console and attach the below female pin and wire to a new M3 connector for the M3 automatic transmission program selector switch:

61-13-0-005-197 Female contact with Cable

Some Install Photos:

Method 1: Location of X69 connector next to fuse box in engine compartment. Pin 22 is located in the top half of the connection.

Method 2: Requires the TCU connector to be taken apart

Method 2: Rubber gasket removed and pin holder threaded back through connector shell.

Method 2: Firewall pass through location option - passenger side well next to DME and TCU. 6 cylinders will also have secondary air pump located here.

Comparison of M3 S/E/M switch to the A/M switch. The entire A/M switch and surround will need to be removed.

For both Method 1 and Method 2, the A/M switch connector must be taken apart to remove the pins.

Last edited by Monolith; 03-03-2012 at 10:58 AM.

My Cars
    1997 e39 528i
    good info thanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If I had more time, I would attempt to flash the US TCU with the Euro software. There are ways to force it to flash to it, like people force flash MS41.2 (M3/MZ3) onto MS41.1 (Non M) to convert the ECU to M. Anyone know the Euro TCU software name and ID to find inside the DATEN files?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1997 e39 528i
    I remember looking at the inside of mine and I think it has a removeabe EPROM

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    You might want to contact John Smith (xxxJohnBoyxxx on 318ti.org) and see if he was able to transfer the TCU files. It was a project we started several years ago. Not sure how far along he got. There is also more detailed postings on the EU TCU's and software part numbers on 318ti.org. I'll try to find the link.

Update:
    Main Euro EGS/TCU information is found in posts #251 to #300. EGS label example at post #271.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27535
    Last edited by Monolith; 09-30-2014 at 08:04 AM.

My Cars
    1997 e39 528i
    Thanks! I actually got the link from the 318ti.org to this post