Thread: HID fog lights

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

HID fog lights

Do someone has some xenon hid or even LED fog light on his E39? I wonder where I can find some Great fog light (brighter as possible) Something Pure White really BRIGHT
    I want something that can fit on the 528i stock bumper and also on the M5 (e39) bumper.. How could it cost for the pair? thanks a lot guys! =)
    Last edited by 528iMT; 11-09-2010 at 03:16 PM.

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    Quote Originally Posted by 528iMT View Post
    Do someone has some xenon hid or even LED fog light on his E39? I wonder where I can find some Great fog light (brighter as possible) Something Pure White really BRIGHT
    I want something that can fit on the 528i stock bumper and also on the M5 (e39) bumper.. How could it cost for the pair? thanks a lot guys! =)
    Do you know what you are talking about or really wanting. You do not want uber bright fog lights ...if you ever needed them in the fog you'd be blinded. Since it is more a factor of the lens and reflector your 'bright' bulbs will not suddenly turn into 'driving' lights. If you are seriously wanting the best fog lights available find a way to fit a set of PIAA 959 in the bumper ...or if you want Driving lights look at the PIAA 910.

>^..^<
    If money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference

An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

My Cars
    z3
    He wants Pure White really BRIGHT xenon hid or even LED fog light that can fit 528i stock bumper and M5 (e39) bumper on his E39!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Not to mention M5 and pre-facelifted fog bulbs are completely different.

Dumb thread is dumb.

(brighter as possible) Something Pure White really BRIGHT
    It's idiotic, you will blind everyone on the road. You will blind yourself as well if you get into thick fog, and nobody will help you here.

I hate guys who think they can fit whatever ultra-bright HID bulb they can find with no consequences. I have been often blinded by such a-holes, and I ended up seeing white patches for a few minutes. It's really frustrating and dangerous, just because some 17 year old wants to overcompensate.

/rant.
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 11-09-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Driving lamps should be at the same level as the headlight housings. Fog lamps are placed low for a reason. Listen to the voices of reason above regardless of how abrasive their delivery might be.

If after all is said and done you decide to do it anyway, there is a DIY on the retrofit in the E39 DIY Quick Links thread.

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Ok, first of all, HID or not, fog lights will blind you if they're aimed improperly. Almost all fog lights use regular bulbs that are used in low beam lights on other vehicles. 9006 I believe in the M5 fogs and also low beam replacement for the E36. So, unless some dimwit has aimed their fogs high, there's no way in hell they would blind you. There's a bigger chance of getting blinded by a low beam HID, since that is much higher and in your level of eyesight.
    Now as far as OP's question, there's no kit that will fit both the OEM fogs and the M5 fogs, since they use different bulbs. So your best bet is to get an DDM kit for the M5 and another set of bulbs for that kit that will fit the stock fogs.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipsa View Post
    unless some dimwit has aimed their fogs high, there's no way in hell they would blind you.
    Vipsa: Have you seen Dodge Rams or Hummers with HID in their fogs? Or a ricer in a 92 Civic with aftermarket HID fogs? Sure as hell a fog light can blind you. Even more if you remove the cutoff shield of the E39 fogs (as the DIY "instructs") you can put a lot of light on the eyes of oncoming drivers.
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 11-09-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    Vipsa: Have you seen Dodge Rams or Hummers with HID in their fogs? Or a ricer in a 92 Civic with aftermarket HID fogs? Sure as hell a fog light can blind you. Even more if you remove the cutoff shield of the E39 fogs (as the DIY "instructs") you can put a lot of light on the eyes of oncoming drivers.
    How are you comparing a truck to a sedan? Again any type of fog light on those can blind you. M5 fogs don't have cutoff shields so I still don't see a valid point. I personally hate mismatched colors on lights, so I have headlight matching temperature HIDs in my fogs. And since they're low to the ground, in foggy conditions they do a terrific job lighting the ground ahead of me instead of creating a wall of white from my headlights.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    That's why I also mentioned Civics with aftermarket fog lights, not only trucks. Granted, some implementations of HID fogs do look good and produce minimal glare, but a few percentage are just people like the OP, wanting to go as bright as possible just because. Not to mention that completely destroys the purpose of having fog lights in the first place.

Your car looks good with HID fogs, but I haven't seen it going towards me on a pitch-black night.

If I were to color-match my low beam Xenons, I would probably buy blue-tinted halogens.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Thanks for the reply Vipsa.
    When I said Really bright, I wanted to say the brighter I can get as long as I don't f*** with anyone's vision..:P Metoo I hate to be blinded buy some idiots.. But IMO, fog lights well aimed properly will not disturb anyone.. I want to see the god damn hole in the road to avoid to break my rims.. The fog lights that I have for the moment (stock halogen) dont do their job or barely do it..
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-10-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Profanity

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    The problem with E39 foglights is that they don't have the optics to be 'fog' or 'driving' lights. They barely qualify as 'daytime running lights'. They don't have a cutoff to be 'fog' lights ...and they don't have the optics to be a driving light ...they also don't have a housing capable of handling a high wattage bulb of a high power driving light either.

>^..^<
    If money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference

An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Quote Originally Posted by IamCatman View Post
    The problem with E39 foglights is that they don't have the optics to be 'fog' or 'driving' lights. They barely qualify as 'daytime running lights'. They don't have a cutoff to be 'fog' lights ...and they don't have the optics to be a driving light ...they also don't have a housing capable of handling a high wattage bulb of a high power driving light either.

>^..^<
    The cheap aftermarket M5 fog housing have been plenty capable of handling HIDs for well over 3 years now.

CR, there's no bulb that matches HIDs completely. I've probably spent well over $100 in bulbs, trying to get a perfect match. All of the xenon match bulbs have blue tinted glass, which also leaves a hue of blue in the housing when turned off. Not only that, but they barely last a year. At $35 for a raptor kit that matches my Low Beams, you can't beat it.

My Cars
    645i; X5 4.8i; 525iT 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipsa View Post
    The cheap aftermarket M5 fog housing have been plenty capable of handling HIDs for well over 3 years now.

CR, there's no bulb that matches HIDs completely. I've probably spent well over $100 in bulbs, trying to get a perfect match. All of the xenon match bulbs have blue tinted glass, which also leaves a hue of blue in the housing when turned off. Not only that, but they barely last a year. At $35 for a raptor kit that matches my Low Beams, you can't beat it.
    Ghey...I changed mine after 4 days..and output is horrible.
    I love to flap my paddle..

My Cars
    1997 528i "Custom Sport"
    Has anyone tried these http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/E4...tor-Fog-Lights over the standard housings that come with the DDM bumper?

I use their blue halogen bulbs now, and they are slightly warmer then my HIDs which are 4000K. I've considered the projector fogs and matching HID...

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by IamCatman View Post
    The problem with E39 foglights is they don't have a cutoff to be 'fog' lights
    >^..^<
    This is incorrect!

(Photos courtesy PJB)
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.