Thread: Help w/ Powerflex bushings E36 M3

My Cars
    98 M3/4

Help w/ Powerflex bushings E36 M3

Guys, maybe someone had this issue before that can help me...

I bought the Powerflex front control bushings Offset for my E36 M3, but after installing the on the lollipops and having ready to bolt them back up on the car, I can't!

It's as if the bushing is not far enough into the A arm... I can align the lollipops to the body.

See the pic, I cant get the bushing further in... Thanks for any advise
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    There's something oddly shaped about that bushing, then again I haven't seen a Powerflex LCAB.

You can't push it in any further because that's as far as it goes on the arm (according to picture). You sure you bought the right bushings?

Edit: Took a look at some pictures, and what you have there is what it is. You should be able to align the lollipop to the holes. It may be a bit difficult to do.
    Last edited by desynch; 11-07-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Clarifications

My Cars
    '92 non-vanos 325i 5-speed
    might have to disconnect your sway bar and jack up the wheel a bit if its fighting you.

from what i can see in the picture, the LCAB looks like its been installed right

*btw - you're going to love the feeling of the new bushings. they made a huge difference on my car

My Cars
    95E36
    I don't understand the pic. What's that other piece towards the front of the bushing in the lollipop? Is that another bushing? Looks like there's a bushing already pressed on the arm, then the lollipop with the bushing after it?

In any case, since I haven't seen a PF fcab, this guy was able to install it after having trouble at first.
    http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=232628
    Last edited by armorrig; 11-08-2010 at 05:08 AM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    OK guys, I've read all the recommendations and I will try all but grinding on the control arm like the guy on the link "armorrig" provided. The grinding would be my last resort.

I will disconnect the sway, since I have already jacked up the wheel with no luck.

I'm worried that forcing it in there will put ondue stress on the center ball joint (not the one on bottom of the strut area), and wear prematurely. There is simply no distance between the lollipop connection to the body and the ball joint.

I might opt for the offset delrin bushings VAC sells, any thoughts?

Thanks

My Cars
    88 325iC,97 M3,98 740iM
    I ran into this same problem when installing mine. I could really push it with my hand and the bushing would deform a little and I could almost get it to line up. I figured the amount of force I can provide with my hand is pretty insignificant compared to the stress the ball joint was meant for, so that extra sort of pre-load strain on the joint should be OK. In the end I used a floor jack to help force the lolipops into place and then bolted them on. No problems yet...

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe

keep at it

I did this job on my car about 6 months ago..it was a pita!! I had the same problem and thought I had the wrong bushings or something.. I second guessed myself several times of whether I had the correct bushing in the correct lolipop or if I had something backwards.. after quite a fight (3 guys under the car manhandling it) it did all align and has been great since. I had my friends pushing on the assembly while I ran a screwdriver through the hole of the lolipop up through the bolt hole to help me keep things lined up. Then i threaded one bold in while adjusting the screw driver around making sure it did not strip. The second bolt was much easier..you have a new bushing that is not smashed or compressed so it is a much tighter fit than the old one. Trust me you will enjoy how snug that bushing is once its all back together.

My Cars
    97 M3
    I had the same problem. I ended up using a crow bar to make it line up. Was a pain on the first one but after I figured out how to do it the 2nd went pretty easy. Everything has been great since the car was put back together!

My Cars
    IS250
    Friend had the same thing.. let's just say it was a pia

My Cars
    1998 Euro323i-RHD(RIP)
    SAME here..with my PF centered bushing..took some manipulating.
    Consider loosening the 22mm center bolt on your LCA...to give the arm some movement.
    Also, the floor jack under the strut to help a bit.
    IT will fit, just not easily, like all above have stated.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I was helping a friend install the same bushings except they were the purples and one issue was the casting of the control arms. Since we changed them too the casting didn't line up into the keyed bushings like OE. So out came the dremel to match it up, which also meant boring out the bushings some as well. While that helped we still had to press on the bushings to get the lolipops to line up. I think it was less than 1 inch distance to the holes at that point. I then used a caliper spreader between the support bar and lolipop, then a mallet to get it set in place to the chassis. After all of that I wouldn't recommend this bushing to anyone. I'm using delrin and have been for several years without any fitment issues. Very easy to remove and install. Of course delrin will give more feedback than poly.
    Last edited by Brent 930; 12-06-2010 at 09:44 AM.