Thread: Door lock cylinder pics or tips for reassembly

My Cars
    2002 330i (Manual),

Door lock cylinder pics or tips for reassembly

Does anyone have a "side" picture of a working door lock cylinder that came off their E46?

I bought a repair kit to replace some of the broken internals. It didn't come with instructions, of course, but I think I have the pieces in the right order.
    Except for the spring that sits inside. I just can't see how it goes in to help return the key position when you turn it.

If you have a good side view picture of a door lock cylinder (since it will show the spring) or, even better, a breakdown of the order of the parts from the inside (showing the spring placement), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 330 XI
    I just went throught this myself, after breaking my door lock replacing the door actuator. I purchased a new lock from BMW for about $100.00 keyed for my car. I don't have my old lock at this location but if you still need help I maybe able to shoot a photo of how I think the spring sets in the cylinder this weekend. The new cylinder fit and worked for me without any issues.

Dave

My Cars
    2005 325i Silbergrau 5sp
    Can't help you but just saying Hi, fellow Lexingtonian.

"you vill haf goose pimples" Meyle HD CABS, sock mod, and new hoses, pulleys, belts and water pump.
    Weisslicht LED AEs from JleviSW that came in a Khoalty-looking box.

My Cars
    2002 330i (Manual),
    @Ezfix: That would be greatly appreciated. You can either PM me, attach a side picture here or email me at vkutt0 at yahoo dot com

Any pics showing how it is oriented or even a top view showing how it sits would help a lot.

I hate springs!!

@Oli77: Hello there! Finally, someone from the area! Let me know if you need help with some of the regular maintenance.

Careful! I might visit you for your lock cylinder

My Cars
    2005 325i Silbergrau 5sp
    Stay away from my doorlock! I'll PM you when I start fiddling around in there and if I need help.
    Do you do all work yourself? I have gone to this Indy in Lex. Know it?

"you vill haf goose pimples" Meyle HD CABS, sock mod, and new hoses, pulleys, belts and water pump.
    Weisslicht LED AEs from JleviSW that came in a Khoalty-looking box.

My Cars
    99 323i (gave to my son)
    Check this one out, read down a bit.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=443970&page=1
    "Pay dat myan his myoney" Teddy KGB

My Cars
    2004 330 XI
    beovo,
    Great link, I wish I had seen this sooner.

My Cars
    2002 330i (Manual),
    bevo,
    Thanks a lot for posting. I don't know how you found that thread (I searched for ages), but it has all the right details and good pictures. I'll try it out once I get a chance. I'm sure I'll get the spring orientation correct now.

Oli,
    I haven't heard of German Automotive but it's been a while since I've had to go to a shop. Are their labor rates good? I used to go to European Motors on Floyd (near Green's Toyota). They were pretty knowledgeable and gave me a lot of good advice even over the phone.

Then I discovered this forum and bought a Bentley manual and they lost my business

I've had my car for 5 years so I can probably give you tips on: Broken lock cylinders , window regulators, most of the cooling system (hoses, radiator, expansion tank), fried tail light harnesses, belts, valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, front wheel bearings, brakes and bleeding, belts to name a few. Man, I've done a lot with this car!!

My Cars
    99 323i (gave to my son)
    Glad to help, good luck with the Rubiks cube.

My Cars
    2002 330i (Manual),

Solved!

By George, I think I have it!

OK, the above information is all very useful, and will help you get everything aligned inside the door lock cylinder. Please read below for some pointers:

Some tips (#3 is most relevant to the fix):

1) There are 2 kits you'll find on eBay for repairing the lock cylinder.
    One is around $20-something and the other is $30-something. The more expensive kit comes with an extra part for Right-Hand-Side door locks, as well as a replacement spring. I know. I messed up once and had to buy a second kit just to get one measly part that I broke

2) If you have a US E46, just get the cheaper kit unless you lost your spring. Looks like the kits are only available in Europe but take about 5 days to arrive (I bought mine from "osco_ltd" on eBay). Neither kit comes with instructions, so you'd better be good at puzzles

3) The online posts don't talk about pre-tensioning the spring. For me to get the same feel as the OEM lock (i.e. the way my key would snap back), I tensioned the spring as shown in the attached picture (hope you like the Photoshop work). You hold down the spring with one hand and wind it clockwise (not that easy, esp. if your hands are greasy). This reduces the diameter, and makes it easier to mash it down with the center rod thing. Then, insert the flat circular clip to lock everything in place. Don't forget to tap in that little pin, which prevents the circular clip from backing out. This was my "Eureka!" moment

4) The other picture shows how the parts are aligned with the internal cylinder barrel part. It's just for reference, so you can see what happens inside the assembled cylinder. I got this wrong during my early attempts and the cylinder would not let go of my %@$#! key. I then broke the circular clip (mentioned above) since it's made of soft metal, and I was able to get the key out.

I think this thread contains everything you need to get your door lock cylinder back together. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ledfut; 11-07-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: edited a few times for clarity

My Cars
    99 323i (gave to my son)
    I'm about to to do the exact same thing.....will try the EBay source.

My Cars
    2002 330i (Manual),
    Cool! Let us know how it goes!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    I couldn't get mine pretensioned to the position noted in your pictures. The tension wasn't "snappy"..so I took it apart and tried again..broke it. Going to order a new kit (sigh)..but this time, I'm going to make a winding tool out of pipe that will allow me to place the mace-like pin onto the top without needing a 3rd hand to do it.

My Cars
    2002 330i (Manual),
    Quote Originally Posted by wxfield View Post
    I couldn't get mine pretensioned to the position noted in your pictures. The tension wasn't "snappy"..so I took it apart and tried again..broke it. Going to order a new kit (sigh)..but this time, I'm going to make a winding tool out of pipe that will allow me to place the mace-like pin onto the top without needing a 3rd hand to do it.
    Sounds like a pain! Making a tool sounds like a good idea. It is very frustrating getting that spring tensioned up, but it must be correct for a proper "snap back". My lock broke one more time since the DIY and I was able to follow the steps again to get it fixed Let us know how it goes!