Thread: fuse 7 keeps blowing!!

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I

fuse 7 keeps blowing!!

so recently fuse number seven on my 92 325i keeps blowing every time i turn off the car. its the fuse that controls the central locking system and, power windows, and interior lights. i first noticed this happening about 3 months ago and it seemed to be very random and sporadic. i thought that the problem was exposed wires in my head unit wiring harness so i cleaned that up but the problem still showed up every once in a blue moon. well Friday night it got to the point where i couldn't turn the car off without that fuse blowing. Ive checked the wiring by the trunk and that's fine no frayed wires or anything. so i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas as to what it could be??

thanks

Bump
    Last edited by MRPOWER; 11-01-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I
    bumpo

My Cars
    97' 318i
    you got a short somewhere man. they are a nightmare to find sometimes.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    '95 Hardbody
    Quote Originally Posted by MRPOWER View Post
    I've checked the wiring by the trunk and that's fine no frayed wires or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by estocks View Post
    Could be a short in the trunk lid wiring.
    Seriously?

My Cars
    325is
    Trunk wires in the loom can crack. Open the trunk and pull back the rubber cover on the left side. Look for bare wires underneath! Read the write ups for more info.

My Cars
    E36...Mini Cooper S
    check ur voltage see if ur geting 12v ur amps and check ur resistance with a digital multi meter and see if ur ground is working right

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I
    im assuming you mean check the voltage at the battery? and which ground ? also the battery?
    thanks

My Cars
    2004325xiT/ZHP/1995325is
    I just dealt with the same problem last night. Both fuses 7 and 35 were blown. I changed out #35 with no problems, but fuse #7 kept shorting.

After doing a little research on the forum, I found that the problem would most likely manifest itself in the truck wiring loom. With trepidation I peeled back the waterproofing around the wires and found all but two of the wires with exposed metal. There were two wire that had completely broke in two.

I rewrapped them with electrical tape, soldered and heatshrunk the broken ones and moved them to reduce the amount of wear when opening and closing the trunk. Now, the alarm works and the central locking works again!
    PM me if you needE46Touringparts

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I
    are you reffering to the little bunching of wires near the driers side trunk hinge? if so ive peeled that open twice and never found any exposed wires

My Cars
    2004325xiT/ZHP/1995325is
    Dang. Somewhere the central locking is shorting. Best of luck finding it.
    PM me if you needE46Touringparts

My Cars
    E36...Mini Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by MRPOWER View Post
    im assuming you mean check the voltage at the battery? and which ground ? also the battery?
    thanks

no not the battery..the wiring where that fuse is for.. check ur wiring how much voltage is thier and its ground see if ur geting 12volts on ur power supply and ur ground should be 0volts. u gotta re route the wiring.. it kan cause that.. kuz if ur geting ur fuse to blow all the time its because its short to ground meaning thiers another ground thats touching ur power to ur lights and its trigger it to blow

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

My Cars
    96 BMW 328 I
    The wires can break inside the insulation. I had 5 broken wires on my sedan. Check them carefully because that is what the symptoms point to.