Thread: What spark plugs

My Cars
    1996 328is 1987 Volvo 740 Wagon

What spark plugs

Anyone know what plug I should run in my 1996 328is with the M52 engine? I would like to use Bosch Supers but I don't know the part number. Anyone know? What about these NGK iridium plugs, whats the deal with these. How different are they from a conventional plug? Thanks for the help!
    Volvo=Pratical Fun!
    BMW= Haul Ass Fun!!!
    96 328is
    87 Volvo 745 Turbo

My Cars
    anyone.......
    Volvo=Pratical Fun!
    BMW= Haul Ass Fun!!!
    96 328is
    87 Volvo 745 Turbo

My Cars
    Paid off
    I was thinking about some expensive platinum plus 4's or something along the same lines.....But, I think I'll stick to OEM's....

My Cars
    I have heard conflicting reports about using platnium plugs. Some say they have had issues, others seem not to. I have a lot of miles (163) and I think I should stick to the Bosch Super or NGK. Any experiences good or bad experiences with platinum plugs anyone????
    Volvo=Pratical Fun!
    BMW= Haul Ass Fun!!!
    96 328is
    87 Volvo 745 Turbo

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.4is
    The Plus 4s do well in Japanese cars for some reason. My Eclipse did really well with them... But BMW's seem to do really bad. The NGKs have done the best for my 325is

My Cars
    Paid off
    Originally posted by zeit00
    The Plus 4s do well in Japanese cars for some reason. My Eclipse did really well with them... But BMW's seem to do really bad. The NGKs have done the best for my 325is
    Same here...My 4-Runner benifited from them, but I'm hesitant to put them in the bimmer.....

My Cars
    My Hondas and Acuras always did well with platnium plugs, so did my Toyotas. I have even read that it is a bad idea to put anti-sieze on plug threads because it will cause a spark disruption. I have always put anti-sieze on my plugs and will continue to do so. Anyone else hear differently about the anti-sieze thing?
    Volvo=Pratical Fun!
    BMW= Haul Ass Fun!!!
    96 328is
    87 Volvo 745 Turbo

My Cars
    Paid off
    No, and I don't feel like extracting a siezed up spark plug, either.....So I guess I'll chance it...

My Cars
    '00 528iA, '01 325iA
    Most gimmick plugs (Splitfire, Bosch +4) are only good at separating you from your
    money. That's not to say that precious metals (platinum, iridium) don't have merit. Use brand name stuff; car manufacturers usually know what they're talking about when they recommend replacements.

The silver anti-sieze is mostly graphite in a liquid carrier; graphite is conductive, so another wives tale? There is also electrical contact between the head and plug gasket and plug body to complete the circuit, so use the anti-sieze.

My Cars
    Trans am WS-6 6 speed
    NGK ... Platinums tips break off and have issues with BMW. Careful

"WTF I just read the last line of that HAHA YOUR GF GOT FUCK*D IN THE AS* BY ANOTHER GUY!!!" BIMMER SOLD) WS-6 Now !! With full boltons ... Also 1996 Chevy Silverado 5.7 liter Vortec / 4X4 MyCar

My Cars
    2008 535i
    IMO, using the Bosch platium plugs are risky a design. The Bosch platiums have a history of the ceramic chiping/flaking away from the platium. Just look at the design of the plugs. The platium is encased in ceramic. A high compression engine will stress the ceramic/platium tip and cause breakage. An exposed metal tip is a better design for a high compression engine, IMO.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Nobody on here likes plus 4's, but I'll swear by them. I used them exclusively in my e30 and had nothing but good results from them. My dad and brother use them also, and they have good results, too. BMW uses Bosch plugs. I think the e36's came with plus 2's. How can the company that BMW uses make a product that's bad for BMWs?
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    '96 328is (R.I.P.)
    I've been running platinum +2 in my 96 328is for a few thousand miles and haven't had any problems.

My Cars
    2008 535i

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by heifetz17
    Nobody on here likes plus 4's, but I'll swear by them. I used them exclusively in my e30 and had nothing but good results from them. My dad and brother use them also, and they have good results, too. BMW uses Bosch plugs. I think the e36's came with plus 2's. How can the company that BMW uses make a product that's bad for BMWs?

The problem is not with the stock/OEM Bosch non-platium plugs.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyZ3
    My Hondas and Acuras always did well with platnium plugs, so did my Toyotas. I have even read that it is a bad idea to put anti-sieze on plug threads because it will cause a spark disruption. I have always put anti-sieze on my plugs and will continue to do so. Anyone else hear differently about the anti-sieze thing?
    Those cars do not have the high compression ratio BMW's have and their chamber designs are different. Each car company has its own design goals. Some design for performance, some for efficiency. If you review a dyno between a Honda V6 and a BMW I6, you will see that the HP and torque curves are not close. The torque curve for the BMW is nearly flat and produces nearly all of its torque across its RPM range. The torque curve for the Honda is peaky. In laymen’s term a BMW operating at 2500 RPM will pull better and faster than a Honda, and Acura for that matter, operating at 2500 RPM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Don’t buy platinums +4 there a waste of money they really don’t last any longer or perform any better. It’s a total scam +2 and +4 is ridicules electricity doesn’t work like that way. Electricity will only go to one because it has the least resistant and will never go to any other. DON’T BUY THEM!!!

My Cars
    98 328is Cosmos
    For a 96 - 98 M52, that will be NGK BKR6EQUP ..
    E90 DIY - E46 DIY - E36 DIY - E60 DIY - E30 DIY - E39 DIY - E34 DIY
    "On My Command, Unleash Hell"

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwweberm#
    Don’t buy platinums +4 there a waste of money they really don’t last any longer or perform any better. It’s a total scam +2 and +4 is ridicules electricity doesn’t work like that way. Electricity will only go to one because it has the least resistant and will never go to any other. DON’T BUY THEM!!!
    Stop reviving ancient spark plug threads. Jesus Christ.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Another one??? Is this some sort of sick fetish or something?

My Cars
    Custom 325ci
    Plat 4's arent good.
    dirty E30

My Cars
    E86 Z4M Coupe
    my car does awesome with the NGK's. I used the Bosch Supers and my car didn't do so hot. but when i put the NGK's in, it smoothed out my idle and stuff.

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by tomb03 View Post
    Those cars do not have the high compression ratio BMW's have.
    Hmmm I dont know where you got that information at. Most of Nissans 6 cylinder motors are operating at 9.5 10:1 compression ratio. Thats been since at least 92.

So that statement is comepletly false. I cant exactly say the same for honda/acura.

As another one posted before most gimmick plugs are just that.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    You're right about that. And allow me to congratulate you on the oldest thread revival I've yet seen on this board.