Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rokkor Coilovers (Review)

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM

Rokkor Coilovers (Review)

Hey guys, thought I'd share my thoughts on my Rokkor coilovers. For those of you who are not aware, Rokkor is a sister company of the controversial Raceland coilovers. The difference between the two, besides color - is heavier spring rates on the Rokkor coils.
    385lbs/inch Front 345lbs/inch Rear - Rokkor($289USD Shipped)
    350lbs/inch Front 300lbs/inch Rear - Raceland ($308USD Shipped)
    Where to buy?
    http://www.rokkortuning.com/p-21-coi...r-bmw-e46.aspx
    Longevity?

The Rokkor coilover line is relatively new to the market, however Racelands have been in use by the VW guys for quite a while. When researching the Rokkor/Racelands, there was a guy on E46f that has had them on for <30,000 miles, many VW guys have carried em' for longer. Personally, I have only have had them on for 2.2k miles/~4 months. Each weekend I inspect and clean them to ensure they are running strong, and no problems so far.

Pros?

• They are cheap. I got my set for $260 shipped.
    • They can make you lay frame. My front end is ~3 inches off the ground and I'm about half way down.
    • Freakin' cheap.
    • Adjustable. ^^
    • They are really cheap.
    • Stiff. Heavier spring rates (385/345) than it's sister. This may be a pro to some, con to others. Personally I like the stiffness, and being able to feel the road.
    Cons?
    • No lifetime warranty. They do come with a three year limited warranty.
    • They are stiff. I wouldn't say more so than others however. I've riden in a Z4 on Bilstein PSS9's, and an E46 on KW V1's and I would say ride comfort was about the same. I cannot compare it to stock suspension as mine was completely blown when I bought the car.
    • You will need aftermarket swaybar endlinks. (You need 7" Endlinks, I cannot find the specific ones I bought, however they are adjustable) Endlink options: Adjustable Endlinks (i.e http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...MS-ADJ-SBLINKS), I have read that #18365 Duralast Endlinks will work - however cannot confirm. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=926720_0_0_), http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...s-e85-e86.html
    • Will not clear high offset wheels without spacers. I have 18x8.5 ET35s and they needed 1mm more of clearance in the front. Rear is fine. I currently run 5mm spacers up front.
    Would you reccomend them?

Yes. For the price, they can't be beat. If you want to go low on a budget, here's what you've been looking for. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) I would give them a 9. Keep in mind I have not driven an E46 sedan on competing coilovers.
    Last edited by ch40t1c; 10-27-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Cunninlynguists. Because real hip hop.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    All I can say is wow. Thanks for the review. So...are you rollin with e36 M3 endlinks?

Are they stainless?

Way to take the plung....and admit it here...for everyones benefit.

Did I say, wow?

A longevity review will be especially important. Update the thread as you see fit....

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    My pleasure. Updated original post with possible endlinks. I got mine from Turner, however can't find them. They were beefy lil' suckers. I'll keep searching.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I bet they're about an inch shorter than stock....

E36 m3 endlinks...

aka fonz is offline License Revoked BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    deutsche warrior
    yes, please updates after say 6 months, and a year. I remember seeing a thread about some DDM coilovers that had an initial good review, but updates proved a different story.
    Bookmarked.

My Cars
    2001 BMW ZSP
    Hey Neighbor...

You've got a pretty convincing review here I'm excited to see how they hold up. Paychecks coming soon I might have to steal a set of these.

Did you install yourself?

And you gots any pics of your ride with them?

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Hmm...This maybe makes me want to get some coilovers for my ZHP come this paycheck . Not entirely sure though, I need to save some money for a nice LED or LCD tv addition when the black friday sales come along..

I did some reading here

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12363289

And I saw someone had for 20k, and other were in the 5k range but did not see anyone with serious complaints. overall pretty satisfied customers actually.

And for about $300...Can't really go wrong, especially with the three year warranty. 300 every 3 years means about 1k every 9 years. And I don't think I will have PSS9s for 9 years...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    The only negative I can think of, is, if someone were to go wrong, during the install, or after, I think customer support would not be tailored at all. It might be tough to get a hold of anyone, that knows anything about the install, or even E46?

I know....the FK Silverline X's I bought were more than this....but, they are lifetime guarentee, and I can pick up the phone, at any time for advice on install, tweaking, issues, etc. Additionally I bought these from a guy (vendor) who has them on his E46, so.....ease of mind has it's price I guess.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    The only negative I can think of, is, if someone were to go wrong, during the install, or after, I think customer support would not be tailored at all. It might be tough to get a hold of anyone, that knows anything about the install, or even E46?

I know....the FK Silverline X's I bought were more than this....but, they are lifetime guarentee, and I can pick up the phone, at any time for advice on install, tweaking, issues, etc. Additionally I bought these from a guy (vendor) who has them on his E46, so.....ease of mind has it's price I guess.
    How do you like your coilovers? My ZHP has the stock suspension right now, and Just been peeking around a bit for options. And Im sure you have something to say about the comparison between our suspension and the Coilovers you bought?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I have stock zhp setup now. I just ordered my FK Silerline X's last Friday. Waitin for them to come in.

I had the FK silverlines (non adjustable) on the below car, and absolutely loved them. The ride was second to none...as far as I am concerned, and lifetime warranty.

Hopefully I can get them installed this weekend, and post a +1 week reiew shortly thereafter....

Last edited by danewilson77; 10-27-2010 at 07:27 AM.

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelHead View Post
    Did you install yourself?
    Not really. I had Justin (otGixxer) and his buddy help me out down in Tacoma. I know very little when it comes to actually wrenching, trying to learn but exterior cosmetics is my field.

And you gots any pics of your ride with them?
    Good pictures, no. I'll be doing a 2step on Adam's (Switch311) LSB M3 this weekend if you want to grab coffee or something, see how they ride on my E46.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanx2009 View Post
    And for about $300...Can't really go wrong, especially with the three year warranty. 300 every 3 years means about 1k every 9 years. And I don't think I will have PSS9s for 9 years...
    Agreed. There was one kid who installed them but failed to check clearance on his wheels, then drove it around with his wheels scraping the coilovers in the front. I have yet to see a legitimate negative review.

Customer service, from what I've heard; is very good. Now I don't know if they know installation specifics, but from what I've read they've been good about honoring their warranty - even if it was the installers fault.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by ch40t1c View Post
    Agreed. There was one kid who installed them but failed to check clearance on his wheels, then drove it around with his wheels scraping the coilovers in the front. I have yet to see a legitimate negative review.

Customer service, from what I've heard; is very good. Now I don't know if they know installation specifics, but from what I've read they've been good about honoring their warranty - even if it was the installers fault.
    Def not always the case...but the vendor I got my coilovers from...has the exact same setup on his ride.....

He just told me all his settings...which will make initial setup easier...and will take a lil guess work outta it.

My Cars
    E46, F350
    Just ordered the Rokkors today, now gotta get some endlinks. How about these:

http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...-roadster.html

and get the 7+-5"? Would much rather save $55!

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveNine View Post
    Just ordered the Rokkors today, now gotta get some endlinks. How about these:

http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...-roadster.html

and get the 7+-5"? Would much rather save $55!
    You want the e46 version: http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...s-e85-e86.html
    But yep! 7+-5" are the ones you need. Be sure to order spacers as well if you have wheels with offsets >35, otherwise they won't clear.
    Last edited by ch40t1c; 10-27-2010 at 05:47 PM.

My Cars
    E46, F350
    Quote Originally Posted by ch40t1c View Post
    You want the e46 version: http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/adj...s-e85-e86.html
    But yep! 7+-5" are the ones you need. Be sure to order spacers as well if you have wheels with offsets >35, otherwise they won't clear.
    Sweet deal, thanks! I'll be sticking with the stock wheels for now though, they got all-seasons on 'em already for winter. But come spring I'll sure be needing those spacers

Oh and should I do the RSM while I'm at it?
    Last edited by FiveNine; 10-27-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 330i ZHP
    Good info. I'm interested to see how they work out. I will be in the market for coil overs after a few other mods so...

P.S Dane, how much of a drop is that on your old car? Stance wise, that's exactly what I'm going for.

My Cars
    Dude, I don't even know
    wow, thanks for doin the review. My b-day is in a month, This might actually be on my list to buy

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    Good info. I'm interested to see how they work out. I will be in the market for coil overs after a few other mods so...

P.S Dane, how much of a drop is that on your old car? Stance wise, that's exactly what I'm going for.

All the way down in the rear (lock rings bottomed out). Could only go lower if I removed them. Down 1.5 inches in front.....

pac0 is offline Stanceologistically Erect
    My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Order placed

E39|X5|E38 $90 MID RADIO PIXEL REPAIR - PM FOR DETAILS

My Cars
    03 Alpine 330I ZSP
    when you say they dont clear high offset wheels you mean in the front correct? I have the same wheels as you (fitment in the front is the same but mine are staggered my rears are et45) , are yours staggered? If so did you need spacers in the rear?

Standing there, all by itself, in the barren desert, was the lone shift knob. Ready with shield, and adorned with it's tribal tan kilt, to defend the honor of BMW against all enemies foreign or domestic.

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Quote Originally Posted by 92redE36 View Post
    when you say they dont clear high offset wheels you mean in the front correct? I have the same wheels as you (fitment in the front is the same but mine are staggered my rears are et45) , are yours staggered? If so did you need spacers in the rear?
    Yep, in the front. I'll edit that to make it more clear. The highest offset you can have in the front without spacers is +33. I have the square set up. I ran 5mm spacers in the rear for a while, but had some minor rubbing on large bumps against my fender. I don't believe you will run into any fitment issues in the rear because it's just a spring/shock combo, but maybe a suspension vet can jump in on this.

My Cars
    08' SI 99' M3 05' ZHP
    Any other reviews?

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if the OP is still running these coilovers and if so, how have they been holding up?

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Yep, still running these. I have a little over 4k miles on them now, and couldn't be happier. I still clean and inspect them every other weekend to make sure everything looks like it's holding up - and so far no changes. No weird noises or performance changes - they still handle like they did after they were broken in 7+ months ago. I have had the chance to drive quite spiritedly with them on, and I can say they are a tad soft in the twisties when taking them at speed. They are no KW's or Bilsteins in that sense - however, they're still terrific for the street - may it be the commute or through town. I have had 0 complaints from passengers about the ride quality, even on bad roads - not even a complaint from the 40-50+ crowd .
    Last edited by ch40t1c; 05-20-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast