Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost based methanol systems - what's so hard to understand?

My Cars
    BMWs

Boost based methanol systems - what's so hard to understand?

There's this thread on another forum where an N54 owner is going on and on about his non-progressive methanol system that triggers on simply at boost pressure. He's not even running a progressive boost system (which are basically rubbish), but is running a constant head pressure of 220 psi through a nozzle through all points of the power band...

Is everyone as silly as this? I hope people aren't running their methanol systems like this. Obviously the best way to control how much methanol should be injected and when is to follow your injector duty cycle. Obviously your engine requires more fuel when your torque peaks than when it falls off - most engines will have a peak around 4000 - 5200 RPM. But spraying just based on pressure and progressive means you might have 50% pump DC at 8 psi and 100% at 16 psi, yet 16 psi could happen at 4500 RPM or 7000 RPM and obviously have very different fuel requirements in the curve. So long as your methanol system is jetted to spray the appropriate percentage of water/methanol to fuel, if you mirror the injector duty cycle you will have the best possible application of injection based on fuel demand.

Yet, the system in discussion simply turns on at a pressure point and blasts 220 psi of methanol through a nozzle regardless of what the motor is doing. If boost is > X, spray.

Am I the only one who thinks this is idiotic? I really hope N54 owners aren't doing this - this guy has implied this is the way to do it. Ugh.

</rant>

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    So many clueless folks over on E90 post. I really can't even go in there.

They're all brainwashed with these made-up terms that the tuners throw out there. All the lemmings follow the words of Shiv, and end up with some mickey mouse "plug and play" methanol system.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Is this Kool-Aid serving "Shiv" person tuning the N54 ?
    Does he do well with it?
    Is the meth helping them?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy View Post

They're all brainwashed with these made-up terms that the tuners throw out there. All the lemmings follow the words of Shiv, and end up with some mickey mouse "plug and play" methanol system.
    Many follow words of any tuner, and love drama and need smacks. Hence why my sig reads what it reads.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    turbo m3
    People generally learn as time goes on.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Google "progressive methanol mapping" and post your thoughts.

My Cars
    BMWs

Yeah i mean I tried to not be an a**, and then the dude told me my HFS6 is stupid because it pulses a valve in the pump and... I can't even repeat the idiocy. Its so bad. He is spraying an M10 nozzle (1200cc/min I believe) at 100% pump speed... at all boost points .... ugh.

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    One day, those people will be our politicians.
    Um, wait, they already are.

Idiots rule.

My Cars
    1998 528i-t, & Jap Stuff
    Wait, isn't HPF's system a straight shot (on off, non progressive). Doesn't it work fine?
    13.239 @ 105.67 with .000 R/T and 1.93 - 60' - 2007 350z - SOLD
    Slow in turbo 528i thanks to a poor driver and lots of heat soak (I couldn't figure out how to drive a pucked clutch off the line to save my life).

LM7 swap in progress/paused pending garage remodel.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1660651

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver328i View Post
    Wait, isn't HPF's system a straight shot (on off, non progressive). Doesn't it work fine?
    I would fully expect their system to be be mapped by the ECU.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Almost all systems were like this a few years ago, Aquamist was teh first that I know of to actually add a solenoid for proper progressive injection. There were a few that varied the pump duty cycle as well.

The AA kit, Aquamist 1s, cooling mist, etc all were like this and the results were fine. Usually you got an overabundance of water/meth at mid-rpm but it didn't seem to hurt things.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    BMWs
    Jim some people have talked about how the sudden onrush of disproportionate water/meth washes the cylinder walls of oil and causes premature ring wear.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    They say the same about gas.. I wouldn't worry about it, there are people with 50k on setups like that without any noticeable issues.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

My Cars
    BMWs
    Wow, its disappointing. Dave @ Cooling Mist chimed in on the thread highlighting the HFS-6 system "issues" - where do they get such good crack? CM kits run a DC pump control with boost reference and no attention to fuel demand. They're arbitrarily pumping fluid into the intake manifold based on a boost activation point.

Sucks that N54 engines are being treated like 4g63's in the mid 90's

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Wow, its disappointing. Dave @ Cooling Mist chimed in on the thread highlighting the HFS-6 system "issues" - where do they get such good crack? CM kits run a DC pump control with boost reference and no attention to fuel demand. They're arbitrarily pumping fluid into the intake manifold based on a boost activation point.

Sucks that N54 engines are being treated like 4g63's in the mid 90's
    Have you seen the cheesy coolingmist CMGS or whatever the hell its called? Its hilarious, just watch one of their videos for programming it. Absolute mess.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    yeah Coolingmist is shit, most of the people over at e90post but even worse n54tech are sheep, retarded sheep.

I have fun w them. Not that I know everything but god dan....retards.

oh, and I fully believe that Shiv's system is the best out there right now, WAYYYYYY better than any of the JB3 bullshit that Terry has been spouting out for the past few years.

and now Terry at BMW is literally copying the implementation of the Procede right down to the case its in. Its freaking hilarious.
    Last edited by Sniz; 10-26-2010 at 10:43 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Have you seen the cheesy coolingmist CMGS or whatever the hell its called? Its hilarious, just watch one of their videos for programming it. Absolute mess.
    LOL yeah i just looked at it. Its like cmon... seriously? An advanced motor and thats what you're putting on it? He's over there talking crap on Richard and Aquamist. I said why is/was Aquamist used in professional motorsports (if injection not banned) and the answer was "They're in the UK" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    yeah Coolingmist is shit, most of the people over at e90post but even worse n54tech are sheep, retarded sheep.

I have fun w them. Not that I know everything but god dan....retards.

oh, and I fully believe that Shiv's system is the best out there right now, WAYYYYYY better than any of the JB3 bullshit that Terry has been spouting out for the past few years.

Yeah its rough man... totally rough.

My Cars
    skateboard
    humans in some places are an odd bunch. Hence the sig below.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post

I have fun w them. Not that I know everything...
    Same here man.

And while the procede might be better than the JB3, its still a jacked up way to tune a car. He's doing ignition correction by offsetting the crank position sensor signal. Am I the only one who thinks this is less than optimal?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Dude I always run my car with my trigger offset moving around

Wow, people are seriously ghetto with these cars... the worst part about it is they don't even know!

Testing my new meth injection

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    LOL, Jon is laying the smack down on the "other" forum.

My Cars
    BMWs
    But we won't link to it, because we're not allowed and that's fine. I invited them over here... with links. Nada.

My Cars
    M3
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_T83uvw_K8[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast