Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 1995 OBD1 vs 96-99 OBD2 Noob Question

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i

BMW M3 1995 OBD1 vs 96-99 OBD2 Noob Question

Prolly addressed a gazillion times, but I'm buying a 95 and I've heard that it is the year to buy because it has OBD1. What is the difference between OBD1 and OBD2 that would make the OBD1 system better? I also heard that you can get better performance with OBD1. How much better in terms of HP per dollar would it gain over OBD2? Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    OBD1 S50 responds better to basic mods like intake/exhaust than OBD2. I think a S52 OBD2 with M50 manifold/euro HFM /intake/exhaust/tune makes more power than a S50 with euro HFM/intake/exhaust/chip. Check the official dyno sheet thread though. OBD2 will have more emissions control devices as well, such as a secondary air pump and more O2 sensors.

I had another question about OBD1 vs OBD2 though...

How easy is it to diagnose problems with an OBD1 car vs an OBD2 car? I'm planning on checking out a 95 E36 M3 this weekend, and coming from all OBD2 cars which are easy to diagnose with the OBD2 port, I'm a little iffy about OBD1. I understand that you can do the pedal stomp trick to read out codes, but how comprehensive are these codes compared to OBD2 codes?
    Last edited by ThreeD; 10-20-2010 at 01:45 AM.
    -Chris

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    obviously OBD II has more monitoring sensors so with that you gain the ability to easier pinpoint issues. You will also get more issues though due to those added systems that OBD I cars dont have(i,e. air pump, EVAP system monitoring, 4 x O2 sensors vs. 1 on OBD I, etc).

OBD I cars are still fairly decent as far as diagnostics go ... the check engine light will still illuminate for major issues.

honestly, i think the OBD I vs. OBD II debate is now obsolete(or should be). I've had both OBD II M3s and now have a 95 M3. I like the 96+ for the better motor(more torque, yes you can feel a difference) and 3.23 diff vs 3.15 on the '95. I like the increased power potential from the S52 motor, even though the S50 is easier to mod(or so they say). The interior has nicer amenities on the newer cars like digital climate control for example. The 95 is easier to smog in CA when modded as it doesn't get connected to the SMOG machine.

All in all my advice to you is to buy the best maintained car you can afford and spend money on getting every piece of maintenance done BEFORE modding or else these cars will eat you/your wallet alive.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Beating a dead horse...

About the only advantage of 1 vs 2 is the ability to tune by just changing chips in the ECU vs having to flash with a tool, or send the ECU out.

The S52 is bigger, (slightly) and will make a bit more power. (about 10 hp and tq) but it's not astoundingly so... THe S50 revs better, (IMO), because of the the better bore/stroke ratio. Just the nature of the design. Again it's not major, but it is noticeable.

OBD1 is stupidly simple. Stomp the pedal, look at the light, count the flashes, look up the code in the Bentley Repair manual. done. They are the BMW codes.

Hp/$ is horrible with either engine. This ain't no Honda... (for better or worse)

As has been said, buy the best car you can find. Figure an E36 M3 (natural aspiration) is going to cost $10-12K. You can buy a cheap one, but it's going to need a lot of work to make it actually right. or you can pay for one that is right, but you pay upfront.

It's getting to the point where I think if you can't afford to buy the car twice, you probably shouldn't own an old German Sports coupe. If you don't do MOST of your own work on the car, and have real tools, you shouldn't own one.

Do not expect to be able to just drive it and do oil changes, and have the car run forever. It just isn't going to happen. Again, this ain't no Honda... (for better or worse)
    Last edited by RRSperry; 10-20-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    e36 m3, f30 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Beating a dead horse...

About the only advantage of 1 vs 2 is the ability to tune by just changing chips in the ECU vs having to flash with a tool, or send the ECU out.

The S52 is bigger, (slightly) and will make a bit more power. (about 10 hp and tq) but it's not astoundingly so... THe S50 revs better, (IMO), because of the the better bore/stroke ratio. Just the nature of the design. Again it's not major, but it is noticeable.

OBD1 is stupidly simple. Stomp the pedal, look at the light, count the flashes, look up the code in the Bentley Repair manual. done. They are the BMW codes.

Hp/$ is horrible with either engine. This ain't no Honda... (for better or worse)

As has been said, buy the best car you can find. Figure an E36 M3 (natural aspiration) is going to cost $10-12K. You can buy a cheap one, but it's going to need a lot of work to make it actually right. or you can pay for one that is right, but you pay upfront.

It's getting to the point where I think if you can't afford to buy the car twice, you probably shouldn't own an old German Sports coupe. If you don't do MOST of your own work on the car, and have real tools, you shouldn't own one.

Do not expect to be able to just drive it and do oil changes, and have the car run forever. It just isn't going to happen. Again, this ain't no Honda... (for better or worse)
    well put...couldn't have said it any better...

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i

Noob Q#2

What is the best mod bang for the buck? I see on the Dinan site that the chip for a 95 is only $199 with a modest increase in HP and torque. But the cold air intake for same is $449!

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmernovice View Post
    What is the best mod bang for the buck? I see on the Dinan site that the chip for a 95 is only $199 with a modest increase in HP and torque. But the cold air intake for same is $449!
    M50 manifold and an X-brace.

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmernovice View Post

Supercharger or turbo kit is your best bang for the dollar.

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by blak blur View Post
    M50 manifold and an X-brace.
    He has a '95, so he's already got the M50 manifold. X-brace is a good one, though.

Honestly, don't mod ANYTHING unless you're replacing old worn out stuff. And before you buy, research on what you're replacing. Don't just "upgrade" it because it's cheaper and not stock. Upgrade wisely. For many things, OEM stuff is best.

Maintenance > everything else. Always. Without a properly maintained car, you're not going anywhere fast. (at least not for long)

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Sorry for thread high-jacking and a noob question, but what does OBD stand for? If I have a 97 USA M3, does it mean I have a OBD2?

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexeyM3 View Post
    Sorry for thread high-jacking and a noob question, but what does OBD stand for? If I have a 97 USA M3, does it mean I have a OBD2?

Yes you have OBDII

OBD = On Board Diagnostics

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by shaeff View Post
    He has a '95, so he's already got the M50 manifold. X-brace is a good one, though.

Honestly, don't mod ANYTHING unless you're replacing old worn out stuff. And before you buy, research on what you're replacing. Don't just "upgrade" it because it's cheaper and not stock. Upgrade wisely. For many things, OEM stuff is best.

Maintenance > everything else. Always. Without a properly maintained car, you're not going anywhere fast. (at least not for long)
    +1
    -Chris

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    [QUOTE=shaeff;20555388]He has a '95, so he's already got the M50 manifold. Wow...I didn't know '95s had M50 manifold. Learn every day.

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M3, and stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexeyM3 View Post
    Ya know, if you just Googled OBD, you'd be able to read all about it, it's the first link that comes up.

Sometimes it is easier, quicker and more accurate to Google it than ask a question in a forum, even if you are a complete noob. There's no problem asking, but I mean, you ARE on the internet….

Just sayin'.

1999 Estoril Blue ///M3 with common mods to the car, and driver training mods to the driver. It's a safe, intelligent, and fun combination. Member of our local BMW Club Driver Training Team.

My Cars
    96' M3
    search button, obd1 95 easier to tune, obd2 96+ more control over tune, yellow=+60hp, techno violet=+50hp, green=-10hp

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    obd1 ftw!

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    '99 M3; '13 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by idriveam3durrrr View Post
    search button, obd1 95 easier to tune, obd2 96+ more control over tune, yellow=+60hp, techno violet=+50hp, green=-10hp
    How much + hp for Estoril?
    Safetywork

Estoril/Black: '99 e36 M3 Coupe (5MT)
    Steel Braided Brake Lines, Steel Braided Clutch Line, TCK Single Adjustable Coilovers, TCK RSM, K-MAC Camber/Castor plates, X-Brace, Corner Balanced, MagnaFlow Muffler, Custom Exhaust Piping (2.5" id), Turner Shorty Headers, Baffled Oil Pan, Z3 M Coupe Steering Rack, Reinforced Cross Member

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    OBD1 is just easier to mod and do crazy stuff to because it doesn't have to pass inspection in most states or it is much easier because of lack of emissions standards in others (ie 4xO2 sensors on OBDII vs 2x on OBDI).

And like everyone said check out the engine and suspension before you start throwing things mods at the car. Would suck to put money into it and then it blows cause it's higher milage engine...

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetywork View Post
    a million

My Cars
    2 x 90' M3 | 84 Euro E28
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Beating a dead horse...

Well said, and even that shouldn't matter anymore with all of these tuning gurus ready to hop on the obd-2 route.

The way i think about it at the end of the day, NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. :wink
    90 Alpine M3 | 90 Brilliantrot M3 | 85 Alpine 520i

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetywork View Post
    if it was the REAL blue (avus) it would be +51
    Quote Originally Posted by l1ttlej7 View Post
    OBD1 is just easier to mod and do crazy stuff to because it doesn't have to pass inspection in most states or it is much easier because of lack of emissions standards in others (ie 4xO2 sensors on OBDII vs 2x on OBDI).

And like everyone said check out the engine and suspension before you start throwing things mods at the car. Would suck to put money into it and then it blows cause it's higher milage engine...
    i always thought OBDI had 1 o2 sensor......

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    AA stage II C38 make a nice jump.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    Haha-ya my bad I meant 1xO2 sensor

My Cars
    My two legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence1 View Post
    obviously OBD II has more monitoring sensors so with that you gain the ability to easier pinpoint issues. You will also get more issues though due to those added systems that OBD I cars dont have(i,e. air pump, EVAP system monitoring, 4 x O2 sensors vs. 1 on OBD I, etc).

OBD I cars are still fairly decent as far as diagnostics go ... the check engine light will still illuminate for major issues.

honestly, i think the OBD I vs. OBD II debate is now obsolete(or should be). I've had both OBD II M3s and now have a 95 M3. I like the 96+ for the better motor(more torque, yes you can feel a difference) and 3.23 diff vs 3.15 on the '95. I like the increased power potential from the S52 motor, even though the S50 is easier to mod(or so they say). The interior has nicer amenities on the newer cars like digital climate control for example. The 95 is easier to smog in CA when modded as it doesn't get connected to the SMOG machine.

All in all my advice to you is to buy the best maintained car you can afford and spend money on getting every piece of maintenance done BEFORE modding or else these cars will eat you/your wallet alive.
    I've been driving my car with a CEL for over a year now . . .

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    what is the easiest way to tell the difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast