Thread: SMG Owners - Ever have a SMG Problem?

My Cars
    E36

SMG Owners - Ever have a SMG Problem?

What year is your car, how many KM's, and what type of SMG problem has it had (if any?)

A search on google shows all types of SMG issues. Most common seem to be the $10 relay and the $1000 hydraulic pump. But it's be interesting to see how many people have NOT had any issues, especially with higher mileage.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z-4 2.5i
    I've got a 2003 2.5 with 98k. Haven't had any problems with the SMG. However, if it's not a daily driver or you won't be spending a lot of time in traffic, I'd get the manual. That's what I'd do if I had it to do over again.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    I have a 2003 with 45K miles on it without any issues.

I love it. But you might hate it ;-)

R

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    2003 with 60K miles - no issues. I do love mine.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    2003 3.0i sport 53,000 miles, 6 seasons autoXing, no problems!
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z-4 2.5i
    Well, I've got to revise my earlier comment. Mine went out Friday night. Turns out both relay and pump need to be replaced. Approx $1100 to have both replaced at the stealer.

The car seemed to be fine when I parked it at a restaurant Friday night. When we got back to the car, the indicator showed it was in 1st regardless of whether I shifted to reverse, neutral or to the forward gears. At times, It showed F1 where normally the gear would be displayed and we saw the transmission warning gear idiot light come on.

Had to have a special truck tow it since it couldn't be pulled on to a flat bed while in gear. BMW roadside said there's a way a tech can force it into manual which will let you drive it temporarily but this procedure won't work on an `03. It was 1 AM and the car was parked in a zone where they'll tow it after 2 AM so I had to let em take it to the dealer or have to pay to tow it home and then again to an indy.

My Cars
    2004 Z4
    I recently bought a 2004 Z4 with 37k miles. Ran into the following issue twice.

After driving for a while, in slow traffic, the car refused to go to any gear except neutral. After a few mins, it did shift and then next stop same issue. I turned it off, and let it sit for a few mins. Started and shifted fine. Seemed to be ok after that. Same problem a few days later.

Took it to the BMW dealer, he saw some Hydraulic codes, but they were not clear. He sent the codes to the factory and the recommendation was to update the software. All fluids etc. were ok. I just got it back, will see what happens.