Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very good speaker combo that fits e36

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport

Very good speaker combo that fits e36

Hey guys.

I had blown door panel+ kick panel speakers so it was time for replacement.

I installed a Polk Audio component set(woofer+tweeter) and Vifa midrange speakers.
    All speakers fit like a glove in e36 door panels and kicker panels. All 6 speakers cost me 160$ and they sound awesome.

I know that stock e36 speakers suck balls so I figured I'd share the my findings.

Let me know if you want some pics of everything installed.

My Cars
    M3,Eclipse RS-T,Explorer
    thanks for the info... mine are blown as well and BSW wants like $400 which is outragous.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WontPassMe View Post
    thanks for the info... mine are blown as well and BSW wants like $400 which is outragous.
    I hear you.
    Here are the links for the speakers:

Midrange:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...64-1046&ctab=2

Woofer+tweeter
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nt+System.html

All of these fit like a glove and the price is 160$ for everything.

My Cars
    '98 Estoril M3/4/5
    Did you have any wiring issues?

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Nope, just plug and play. I had to make couple connectors for midrange(super simple)

Here is a pic of door speakers installed. Notice that Vifa midrange slides into stock e36 speaker pod!

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    did the tweeters fit no problem?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    are they 3ohm like the BMW HK system or just 4ohm/2ohm speakers???

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    did the tweeters fit no problem?
    Just drops right in. No modifications/cutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
    are they 3ohm like the BMW HK system or just 4ohm/2ohm speakers???
    All of them are 4 ohm. BMW HK are 2.5ohm for woofers and 4ohm for door speakers
    Last edited by mikemxbike4; 10-18-2010 at 07:42 PM.

My Cars
    '93 325is
    thanks for sharing. ive been looking for something just like this. would these hook up with a non-hk system the same way (plug and play)?

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauritius36 View Post
    thanks for sharing. ive been looking for something just like this. would these hook up with a non-hk system the same way (plug and play)?
    +1. What did you have to make a connect for?
    '97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1
    M52 Crank, Cams, Pistons, Rods:

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    Very interested and I don't have HK, My front speakers/tweeters need attention. More info on everything please!

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    cool find, especially if it's truly plug-n-play

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Unless you also changed out the factory amp, I'm sure it sounds like crap and your misleading people. Audio upgrades are not a simple 'drop in' in these cars.
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold
    2004 Imola Red/Black M3-Sold
    2005 Alpine White/Gray M3-Sold
    1999 Alpine White/Mulberry M3-Sold

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    And why do you think the BSW prices are outrageous? They are really good speakers.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    And why do you think the BSW prices are outrageous? They are really good speakers.

+1

I have BSW in my car. Like the speakers a lot.
    Last edited by Volf; 10-18-2010 at 09:43 AM.

My Cars
    E46 '03 M3 & E36 '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Inicent Child View Post
    Very interested and I don't have HK, My front speakers/tweeters need attention. More info on everything please!
    Me too, but I am not an audiophile by any means. I just want speakers that are a direct replacement.

I am sure the BSW speakers are awesome, but I listen to sports radio 90% of the time.

I want to order the Vifa NE65W-04 for the doors and I need help choosing 5.25" speakers for the kick panel.

Would any of these speakers work?
    http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...CAT&srchCat=42

Jeez, I am even tempted to get the $8.50 speakers.

1995 M3
    2003 M3

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryWhopper View Post
    Unless you also changed out the factory amp, I'm sure it sounds like crap and your misleading people. Audio upgrades are not a simple 'drop in' in these cars.
    This is true but stated in a immature way....
    If your speakers are really blown anything is going to sound better

Replace the amp and the system will be that much better!

GL and I am looking into the Polk system also...also for everyone else check out Boston...they make awesome speakers I think they make a solid component speaker system like this

Quote Originally Posted by vertius View Post
    Me too, but I am not an audiophile by any means. I just want speakers that are a direct replacement.

I am sure the BSW speakers are awesome, but I listen to sports radio 90% of the time.

I want to order the Vifa NE65W-04 for the doors and I need help choosing 5.25" speakers for the kick panel.

Dont skimp out on speakers man...Its an investment that you will hear every single time you are in your car! Keep that in mind!
    Last edited by boomersooner523; 10-18-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Not 100% positive, but speaker diameter is the same so I don't see why not. A non-HK amp has lower power output though.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanksbeamen View Post
    +1. What did you have to make a connect for?
    The only thing I had to make connectors for were the tweeters. I reused stock connectors for midrange(adding 2 female connectors to plug into the midrange speaker itself) and kicker panel speakers.
    I don't see any point of me posting this thread unless I was satisfied with the results. Yes, these speakers would probably sound even better with a powerful aftermarket amp, but trust me, this speaker combo is head and shoulders above the pathetic stock speakers that e36 comes with. It REALLY does sound good.

I wouldn't go with super cheap brands. Sonic electronics has an amazing selection for component sets and separate speakers.

Here is the list of available 5-1/4 kicker panel speakers.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...s_per_page=100

I wouldnt get 2-way speakers for kicker panel though because stock amp cuts higher frequencies from reaching them.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post

Replace the amp and the system will be that much better!

GL and I am looking into the Polk system also...also for everyone else check out Boston...they make awesome speakers I think they make a solid component speaker system like this

Dont skimp out on speakers man...Its an investment that you will hear every single time you are in your car! Keep that in mind!
    I agree 100%. Bostons are very good as well. MB quart makes a few sets, but their quality is questionable after they got bought out. I've been a Polk fan for a while. They make very nice speakers.
    Last edited by mikemxbike4; 10-18-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by WontPassMe View Post
    I replaced all my speakers with BSW and it sounds fantastic. The mid range and tweeters are all the high's and the kick panel and deck speakers have really clean sounding deep bass.

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70
    I have a spare set infinity reference 5000cs 5.25" components (woofer and tweeter) that were used for a short period then replaced with BSW. They are basically new, can send them up to you for cheap since I have no use for them let me know. You would just have to source a mid for the door. Not an ideal matched set, but if it is just sports radio you are going to be listening too probably gets the job done.

The original owner of the car gave them to me with all the spares. Basically he put these in, but then found he wanted to the rears and so on so just replaced everything with BSW (which is still in there).
    Last edited by hcaleman; 10-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Well now thats just simply not true. They factory amp may not have the best cross over ranges for those speakers... But anything is an upgrade over the stock speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    And why do you think the BSW prices are outrageous? They are good speakers.
    Rainbow is who BSW uses (They are german made!). They are better than stock, but not "really good".

My Cars
    '93 325is
    did you use the crossovers the polks came with?

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    did you use the crossovers the polks came with?
    I tested the speakers to see how they sound with and without crossovers. The woofers in the kicker panel are already receiving very limited frequencies from the stock HK amp. More limited than Polk crossover, so I left those alone.

The tweeters did sound a tiny bit cleaner with crossovers, so I'm going to run them through the crossovers. I am going to mount those righ by the stock amp in the trunk. Just havent had the time to hook them up yet.

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post
    This is true but stated in a immature way....
    I, as many others, visit the forum to get help. When someone posts wrong or misleading information, he/she is hurting the forum in general. There will be people who take that information and use it for their cars. They will end up wasting time, money, and being aggrevated. I just wanted to point out the fact that 'plug n play' should never be said when referring to aftermarket car audio (unless using BSW) in these cars and that the factory amp should should be removed and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dricebrug View Post
    Well now thats just simply not true. They factory amp may not have the best cross over ranges for those speakers... But anything is an upgrade over the stock speakers.
    LOL please don't talk about something you know nothing about.
    Last edited by AngryWhopper; 10-18-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold
    2004 Imola Red/Black M3-Sold
    2005 Alpine White/Gray M3-Sold
    1999 Alpine White/Mulberry M3-Sold

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Lots of good information and some incorrect information in this posts. I'll try to sort an reply as best I can. In the front of your BMW the OEM drivers for HK are:

2.5ohm Midbass Drivers
    4ohm Midrange Drivers(8ohm Standard Audio)
    4ohm Tweeters

Sizing is 5.25, 2.5 and 5/8 stock so keep that in mind when sizing or replacing.

As to our speakers being 'overpriced' or 'rip off' or whatever other description you want to use it simply is not true. A full Stage 1 with rear speakers is 499.99 with free shipping. If you want to only get the front stage it is ~330 shipped to your door. When you consider what a quality 3 way component system costs that is a very good price. You can easily double that for just a top notch 2 way component system.

Rainbow Audio makes GREAT speakers. They are internationally known high quality boutique brand. Many a car audio competition in Europe has been won using Rainbow Audio components. Music is subjective though so they are not the end all be all 'best' speaker for anyone.

With that said BSW is now producing our own top quality drivers. We are the manufacture and we stand behind them. We took what we loved about Rainbow and used what we didn't and improved! We are now shipping these drivers and include both our 30 day guarantee and a 4 YEAR warranty on top of it!

You can drop in many speakers. Some will match and some won't. It also depends on how 'stock' you want the system to end up looking. The OP obviously has aftermarket drivers. Something many are not interested in having but again that is an opinion. We like the cars to look stock to even a 'BMW Guy' and we like it that way.

If anyone else has any questions fire away

I, as many others, visit the forum to get help. When someone posts wrong or misleading information, he/she is hurting the forum in general. There will be people who take that information and use it for their cars. They will end up wasting time, money, and being aggrevated. I just wanted to point out the fact that 'plug n play' should never be said when referring to aftermarket car audio (unless using BSW) in these cars and that the factory amp should should be removed and replaced.

LOL please don't talk about something you know nothing about.
    That is correct. You can MAKE any speaker plug and play. You remove the factory speaker. Cut off the plug. Re-wire to your new speakers wiring and now it is 'Plug and Play' but it did not come out of the box like that
    Last edited by Halston Pitman; 10-18-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast