Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JDM M5---Purists beware!!

My Cars
    Proefi turbo m3

JDM M5---Purists beware!!

I had a revelation one night....must own another e39 m5!! The problem was owning a 700whp m3 had completely distorted my sense of speed and power. I knew a stock, or Dinan S2, or even ESS SC upgraded M5 just wouldn’t cut it. So, I started looking at other options, also being well aware that I didn’t have the technical expertise or time to handle any swap myself. (So, yes, I am offending purists and DIYers…sorry) Anyhow, an Ls7 would have been awesome, but substantial cost in the motor/trans and the swap plus more cost in increasing the power output ruled that out. Then I happened upon the 2jz M5 video swap on youtube. For those that aren’t familiar with it, a shop in NJ, E-Shift Performance took a 2001 e39 M5, pulled out its perfectly fine s62 and 6speed transmission and swapped in a 2jz motor with the v160 6 speed transmission. Not only that, they converted it from twin turbo to single turbo and were able to coax 540whp out if it on pump fuel. (Here is Ed's original thread regarding this car..Supra 2JZ-GTE powered M5) This was perfect. I began conversations with Mike at E-shift, and also started researching supra and 2jz information in order to become more knowledgeable. I told Mike what my goals were, and we formulated a build plan. Mike is a really cool guy and was more then willing to answer my 1000+ questions, plus he guaranteed that E-shift would warranty their work and products. That was definitely reassuring soooooo after much thought, I decided to go for it. First I had to find a car. Luckily a friend pointed me in the direction of a friend of his who was selling a minty Dinan S2. (Attached are a few pictures of the car) As much as it pained me to think of parting out the Dinan components, the price of the car was right and the money made back from the Dinan parts would go back into the cost of the swap. Next, I had to firm up the plan with Mike and then send the car his way.

Fast forward a few weeks, and the car is now at E-shifts facilities and the perfectly fine s62 and transmission have been pulled out. The “new” motor will be a freshened ~40k mile 2jz with stock bottom end. This motor will be sporting BC cams, a single p6765 billet turbo, a substantial fuel system, AEM v2 stand alone management plus other goodies. It will be tuned by Justin Nenni from Tuning Concepts in the hopes of making ~750whp on e85. It will be running a v160 6 speed transmission with HPF Feramic clutch. The subframe will be reinforced and a stronger rear differential will be installed. E-shift will be doing a ton of custom work on this project including the manifold, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, AC lines, and drivesahft.

Currently the project is somewhat at a standstill as we wait for the 2jz/v160 to arrive. Its arrival is expected sometime next week. In the meantime, I have sourced a set of 19" BBS LMs...don't know if I am more excited about the car or the wheels!! I will update this thread as I receive more pictures or information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 930chas; 10-15-2010 at 06:53 AM.

My Cars
    Sterling E36/7, RRP UA6
    Quote Originally Posted by 930chas View Post
    I had a revelation one night....must own another e39 m5!! The problem was owning a 700whp m3 had completely distorted my sense of speed and power. I knew a stock, or Dinan S2, or even ESS SC upgraded M5 just wouldn’t cut it. So, I started looking at other options, also being well aware that I didn’t have the technical expertise or time to handle any swap myself. (So, yes, I am offending purists and DIYers…sorry) Anyhow, an Ls7 would have been awesome, but substantial cost in the motor/trans and the swap plus more cost in increasing the power output ruled that out. Then I happened upon the 2jz M5 video swap on youtube. For those that aren’t familiar with it, a shop in NJ, E-Shift Performance took a 2001 e39 M5, pulled out its perfectly fine s62 and 6speed transmission and swapped in a 2jz motor with the v160 6 speed transmission. Not only that, they converted it from twin turbo to single turbo and were able to coax 540whp out if it on pump fuel. (Here is Ed's original thread regarding this car..Supra 2JZ-GTE powered M5) This was perfect. I began conversations with Mike at E-shift, and also started researching supra and 2jz information in order to become more knowledgeable. I told Mike what my goals were, and we formulated a build plan. Mike is a really cool guy and was more then willing to answer my 1000+ questions, plus he guaranteed that E-shift would warranty their work and products. That was definitely reassuring soooooo after much thought, I decided to go for it. First I had to find a car. Luckily a friend pointed me in the direction of a friend of his who was selling a minty Dinan S2. (Attached are a few pictures of the car) As much as it pained me to think of parting out the Dinan components, the price of the car was right and the money made back from the Dinan parts would go back into the cost of the swap. Next, I had to firm up the plan with Mike and then send the car his way.

Fast forward a few weeks, and the car is now at E-shifts facilities and the perfectly fine s62 and transmission have been pulled out. The “new” motor will be a freshened ~40k mile 2jz with stock bottom end. This motor will be sporting BC cams, a single p6765 billet turbo, a substantial fuel system, AEM v2 stand alone management plus other goodies. It will be tuned by Justin Nenni from Tuning Concepts in the hopes of making ~750whp on e85. It will be running a v160 6 speed transmission with HPF Feramic clutch. The subframe will be reinforced and a stronger rear differential will be installed. E-shift will be doing a ton of custom work on this project including the manifold, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, AC lines, and drivesahft.

Currently the project is somewhat at a standstill as we wait for the 2jz/v160 to arrive. Its arrival is expected sometime next week. In the meantime, I have sourced a set of 19" BBS LMs...don't know if I am more excited about the car or the wheels!! I will update this thread as I receive more pictures or information.
    Why not destroy a non-m5 e39?

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Nice!! The car looks great and who doesnt want a 7xxwhp M5? Cant wait to see update pics.

My Cars
    13 5.0| 11 SHO| 97 M3/4
    While I'll could accept a v8 to v8 swap, a v8 to i6 swap is just to odd for me. Id like to see a v10 e39 m5. In the family and unique.

425whp/401wtq and 3496lbs - Race car
    97 M3/4 -Daily

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    latest issue of eurotuner has an e39 m5 with a 2jz swap, pretty nutty but well done

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Balling. 2jz single turbo will be tons more fun than the v8

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    That'll be 1 fast ass M5!!!

I would've personall gone with an LSX motor + a blower for your power goals, but that's just me.

Should be lots of fun, and will surprise the hell out of anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    While I'll could accept a v8 to v8 swap, a v8 to i6 swap is just to odd for me. Id like to see a v10 e39 m5. In the family and unique.
    Not worth it IMO. The s85 wouldn't make an e39 THAT fast, especially for the money spent. It makes hardly any more toruqe then the s62, just more top end.
    Last edited by e30polak; 10-14-2010 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    9/94 740i, 5/06 X5 4.4i
    Cool thread! I look forward to seeing how these project goes!

But why is the thread title "JDM M5"?
    (9/94, GF61, JPN: M60B40, ZF 5HP30, 3.15:1)
    (5/06, FB53, US: N62B44, ZF GA6HP26Z, 3.46:1)

My Cars
    Proefi turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by n3rd View Post
    Why not destroy a non-m5 e39?
    I wouldn't quite call it destroy. lol. But with the cost of M5s in the gutter, it was a no brainer to purchase this one and part it out, as opposed to buying a regular 5 series and then paying to update the interior, suspension, differential, etc. It would actually have cost more in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by tekazgtr1984 View Post
    Cool thread! I look forward to seeing how these project goes!

But why is the thread title "JDM M5"?
    Thanks. Because a friend of mine has nicknamed it the JDM M5, so it has stuck.
    Last edited by 930chas; 10-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Nice! Wish I had some disposable income. Imagine that in my Wagon!

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    Quote Originally Posted by xpcgamer View Post

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    You know people like you get me FURTHER into debt! Unreal.

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Would you mind posting up the specific products that were used?Some pics of engine and tranny mounts?intercooler piping?

thanks,
    Steven

My Cars
    Proefi turbo m3
    You know people like you get me FURTHER into debt! Unreal.
    Attached are some pictures just for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by smkocheran View Post
    Would you mind posting up the specific products that were used?Some pics of engine and tranny mounts?intercooler piping?

thanks,
    Steven
    Sure. I will post up that information as I receive it. Thanks.

My Cars
    95 1jz m3
    Nice, can't wait to see this finished. You'll love the extra torque the 2j provides over the 1j.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Sounds like a sick plan, you should consider a compound turbo setup, instead of a big single....check em out.

My Cars
    E36 Stancer Dancer
    I was just reading Eurotuner taking a dump and came across the article about The
    E-Shift Supra swaps with the Mike guy. Those things were cleannnn. I liked it, do it man it'll be fiyahhh!

My Cars
    Proefi turbo m3
    Some engine pics. it is getting closer!

My Cars
    Proefi turbo m3
    a few more.

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Shiny!!!

Looks great

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    always loved this combo.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci

My Cars
    Proefi turbo m3
    Thanks much for the comments!

And yes, shiny!! I like shiny!

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Love this build! Heh, I'm "destroying" an M3 because of the exact same reason...

I've got the motor for you... Check this forum for the 1jz thread... :-)

My Cars
    e28 533i, e21 320i
    Aaack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast