Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA vs. Shark

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

AA vs. Shark

I'm thinking that my next upgrade should be some sort of ECU software. Basically my two choices here are the Active Autowerke software or the Shark Injector. I was wondering which one would be better. For example, which yields more torque/hp? What are any other sort of "intangible" advantages/disadvantages of either?

Any input would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    I dont know the validity of this, but Ive heard that the Shark injector is optimized for 91 octane in California and the AA software is based on 93 octane.

Any other comments from people in the know?
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    AA or Dinan - they have the ability to be upgraded.

My Cars
    91 325i, 95 325i

Shark & JC Intake

If you don't plan on doing more to the engine then I would recommend the JC shark injector and intake. They're affordable, yield recognizable gains, and together give you more power out of the E36 M3 than you would realistically need for daily driving, autocrossing, and the occational driving school.

Don't get the software without an intake though...
    - kchildre (www.kchildre.com)

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Re: Shark & JC Intake

Originally posted by kchildre
    Don't get the software without an intake though...
    So would my PAR intake suffice in this case? As for price, both of them are the same (about $350), so that's not really a concern.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. Any other thoughts?

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Actually Eurospeed may be your best bet. Give them a call, they are a supporting vendor.

My Cars
    91 325i, 95 325i

Re: Re: Shark & JC Intake

Originally posted by ////\/\ark
    So would my PAR intake suffice in this case?
    Yeah, the PAR intake would be fine. I missed the fact that you had the CAI (from your signature) already. I made the statement about the intake to reinforce that the engine software is written to take advantage of the gains cold air intakes provide.

Good Luck...
    - kchildre (www.kchildre.com)

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Conforti IS great IF you are never going to do anything else to your engine. However, you may say now that your are not going to do anything else, but down the road you may be spending more money on new S/W. Spend the same amount of money and get AA, Dinan, or Eurospeed. I would believe you will want more power because you've already bought UUC pullies, and once you start modding...

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    With AA software, when you do another upgrade that requires a software change, do you have to send your ECU back to either AA or eurospeed to have them reflash it? How much does reprogramming cost?
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    '97 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by vjlax18
    AA or Dinan - they have the ability to be upgraded.
    I'm not sure i follow you here. IF he goes Dinan fro the start, does that yeild some type of discount on future ECU programming?
    Will they charge you for stage 1 before they can do the stage 2?

If not then Idon't think the Upgradeability is an issue.

Is there a problem going from Shark Injected to say a Dinan Stage 3?
    '97 M3 Coupe
    JC CAI
    UUC TSE
    UUC Clutch Stop
    Hardwired V-1
    B&M SSK

2002 RC51
    Yoshimura Exhaust

My Cars
    G20
    At eurospeed, Alex can put a socket in your ecu allowing you to switch chips as often as you like. Or he cna simply reflash your software. Either way it is AA software for a better price!!

Many people with shark injector claim no increase. I saw one dyno of 3 hp increase once.
    -Chris

My Cars
    -
    heres a little secret most people dont know.
    Conforti also tunes more conservativly than AA does. While beucase of ethical reasons, or w/e, Conforti does not even toutch the emissions side of the software, AA tunes it to be more agressive, resulting in more gains through out the rev range. Stock, the emissions software is set in a kind of over-kill to be emissions safe.
    Another reason why i choose AA over Jim C.
    With my AA manifold software i picked up like 15 peak whp, and tq everywhere, and have the dyno to prove it
    I wonder how my turbo software will turn out
    -Dan | '99 911 C2 | '02 M3 | '91 318i

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by Fissionx
    heres a little secret most people dont know.
    Conforti also tunes more conservativly than AA does. While beucase of ethical reasons, or w/e, Conforti does not even toutch the emissions side of the software, AA tunes it to be more agressive, resulting in more gains through out the rev range. Stock, the emissions software is set in a kind of over-kill to be emissions safe.
    Another reason why i choose AA over Jim C.
    With my AA manifold software i picked up like 15 peak whp, and tq everywhere, and have the dyno to prove it
    I wonder how my turbo software will turn out

Interesting. Yeah I thought it was pretty strange that the shark injector info claims something like a 35hp increase. I figured that probably meant it actually gives about 4.

So what exactly does the AA software change? What's the new rev limit? Does it basically do all the smaller changes that the Shark does (such as VANOS control, etc... all the stuff that the Shark's product description says) as well? Will the AA software be tuned to take advantage of my current mods, or will I have to pay more for that?

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    So with aa software from eurospeed, alex can put in a socket, then you can burn chips and replace them in the same manner as you would with OBDI? You're actually swapping chips, not getting it reflashed?
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    bump
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    G20
    Correct.

Originally posted by toddman35
    So with aa software from eurospeed, alex can put in a socket, then you can burn chips and replace them in the same manner as you would with OBDI? You're actually swapping chips, not getting it reflashed?
    -Chris

My Cars
    99 m3 coupe
    here are the options you have:

1) flashing - basic performance flash is $400

you send me your ecu, i flash it, send it back

you can pick from the following optimizations:

intake
    exhaust
    91/93/100+ octane
    rev limits in each gear (anything higher than 7000 will require a waiver)
    top speed limit

2) socketing - starts at $150

you send me your ecu, i install a socket on it, send it back

this includes your stock software put on a removable chip so you can swap it in and out at your own leisure.

performance programming available at an extra cost.

3) socketing w/ basic performance software is $500.

you send me your ecu, i install a socket on it, send it back

with this, you get your stock programming on one chip, and the performance program on another. you swap when you want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

please keep in mind that each chip is specific to each car and can't be traded with other cars due to EWS.

My Cars
    '93 Black M3 (Euro) , '95 Mugello Red STG II M3T
    There are plenty of choices out there. My personal favorite is AA. I highly recomend it. A zillion enthusiasts will tell you the same thing. Im not saying the EVERYONE in here has AA on theirs, because like I said there are choices. Dont shoose from what people tell you (although it helps). Choose for your own convictions. Look at all the factors. Oh hell just go AA... . Like I said: My personal favorite.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by axcE36M3
    here are the options you have:

you can pick from the following optimizations:

intake
    exhaust
    91/93/100+ octane
    rev limits in each gear (anything higher than 7000 will require a waiver)
    top speed limit
    Are these the only "optimizations"? I thought you could customize your chip more than just those. What about pulleys, manifolds, injectors, all that other engine stuff? And does it matter what brands of these mods you have? I would assume most people getting an ECU upgrade would already have intake and exhaust so wouldn't it really be the same if you got the Jim Conforti Shark vs. the AA one (other than the reported hp/torque increase)? I mean, we're talking about 3-5 hp for an additional $200 or so, after shipping and waiting.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Good topic!

I've kinda been wondering this myself. My big question is if I someday want to go to an M50 manifold and euro HFM on my 3.2 obd2 car who will be my best bet at that point?
    Kitch
    99 M3
    86 GTi

My Cars
    e36 dd
    can this socketing or re-flashing for new preformance upgrades be done to the 92-95's?

My Cars
    92 Nissan Sentra (everyday car)
    What about a crank pulley? Does a chip have any affect on that?
    99 Cosmos Black
    20% tints
    ECIS intake
    X-brace

My Cars
    Hooptie
    I got JC shark in my car along with Supersprint exh. and Intake. It feels Ok, got 221whp 228trq with these 3 mods.
    I also heard someone saying that the JC is running lean through the RMPs, is this true?

My Cars
    G20
    you have a chip, there would be no point. That is for obd2 guys so they can get chips and switch them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jp&Jackies325is
    can this socketing or re-flashing for new preformance upgrades be done to the 92-95's?
    -Chris

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Does the shark injector have the option of being reflashed? Or is the eurospeed chip the only option for customizability. Also, would eurospeed be able to do custom software off a dyno run?

Very interesting. I have the shark injector and didnt really feel any difference with the mod. I had intake and exhaust before installing the software. Maybe its time to sell off the shark....
    Sponsored by:

E36 Estroil Blue 2 Door on Modena
    RD Sport Front Splitter; ZKW Euro Spec Headlights w/ Halos; AC Schnitzer Rear Roof Spoiler; H&R Race Springs w/ Bilstein HD shocks; Eibach Roll Bar; BMW OE X-Brace; Fan Delete; URI underdrive Crank Pulley; Gruppe-S Exhaust; Akimoto arm w/ Blitz mesh cone...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast