Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S54 Airbox/induction choice with bhp increase

My Cars
    Z3M

S54 Airbox/induction choice with bhp increase

For the S54 what is your preference of airbox setup? what will see decent gains over the OEM box at a reasonable price? (under £800ish)

I've heard the Z's dont have the best airboxs which must restrict power on both the S50/S54 when compared to the airbox on the M3?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Actually, the forum's consensus here is exactly opposite of what you've mentioned. Most people here would tell you that air intakes only change the sound coming from the engine and have actually been shown to decrease HP on the S54. They are mainly a 'bling' upgrade and aren't going to net you any power...

Search for 'acoustic horn' on this forum and there's a way to modify the intake slightly...

And ninja edit: 800 lbs is reasonable? that's some serious look for no real performance increase!

My Cars
    Z3
    I'm curious too, just for curiosity's sake, I'd do a search on M3forums, and E46fanatics to find out what works, and what doesn't.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
    I'm curious too, just for curiosity's sake, I'd do a search on M3forums, and E46fanatics to find out what works, and what doesn't.
    This is a good piece of advice...if you are an S54 owner, there is way more information on the M3 forums for our engines than on this z3 forum.

Of course, if you search our forum, there is plenty of information on intakes as they are usually one of the first things noobs ask about.

My Cars
    Z3M
    Thanks for the advice, do we have an identical OEM airbox to an M3 then?

So in theory the car will make the same HP as an E46 M3 with an aftermarket exhaust/map? (and in the Z's case a derestriction of the redline)

I assume c350hp is possible? (since the m3 is 340ish standard)
    Last edited by shantybeater; 10-03-2010 at 06:16 AM.

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shantybeater View Post
    Thanks for the advice, do we have an identical OEM airbox to an M3 then?

So in theory the car will make the same HP as an E46 M3 with an aftermarket exhaust/map? (and in the Z's case a derestriction of the redline)

I assume c350hp is possible? (since the m3 is 340ish standard)
    Yes, with software and a full exhaust, the S54 can make MORE power than a stock E46 M3.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    BMW Motorsport's efforts for the CSL should tell you what is possible. You can expect less than what the factory could do.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Dont forget much of that has to do with the engine management.

If you want HP out of your NA S54, Ensure you've got the euro headers and a free flowing exhaust, a Shark or other tune, some pulleys, good plugs. Then call it a day.

If you can break a little over 300whp on a conservative dyno with an NA S54 you're doing pretty well.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    99Mcoupe 96 Outback
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    Dont forget much of that has to do with the engine management.

If you want HP out of your NA S54, Ensure you've got the euro headers and a free flowing exhaust, a Shark or other tune, some pulleys, good plugs. Then call it a day.

If you can break a little over 300whp on a conservative dyno with an NA S54 you're doing pretty well.
    Although I don't know you clint, you tell it how it is and I like it! Btw, my boss bought me the Nov 08 issue of Performance Bmw a couple months after I bought my coupe (jul 08) and I still look at it. Killer shit. Awesome spread. Straight to the point advice is always appreciated.
    99 M Coupe, cosmos black met, blk/imola int, shark injector, conforti cai, h&r adj coilovers, tms 12mm spacers, Supersprint, stewart waterpump, electric fan conv, mishimoto aluminum radiator, zionsville shroud, turner underdrive pulleys

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Thanks man. Lot's of folks more knowledgeable than me on here, including Carl! Glad you liked the article!

I have been there-done that with the power from an S54 thing though. Some stuff works some doesn't but your biggest bang for the buck are headers, exhaust, and software. Pulleys help make it peppy, and a good clutch helps too.
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shantybeater View Post
    For the S54 what is your preference of airbox setup? what will see decent gains over the OEM box at a reasonable price? (under £800ish)

I've heard the Z's dont have the best airboxs which must restrict power on both the S50/S54 when compared to the airbox on the M3?
    All the boltons and computer tunes in the world aren't going to make much difference. Just put a shorter diff in it and be satisfied until you go turbo.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on

My Cars
    M45, M Roadster
    Anyone done a stroker kit to 3.4 in a roady?
    Last edited by paradigmX; 10-05-2010 at 09:43 AM.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    All the boltons and computer tunes in the world aren't going to make much difference. Just put a shorter diff in it and be satisfied until you go turbo.
    I dunno, going from a rated 315 crank to about 360 crank isn't 'nothing' but it's certainly not night and day. Then again beyond those numbers the way the car drives and feels is much, much better than stock.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I dunno, going from a rated 315 crank to about 360 crank isn't 'nothing' but it's certainly not night and day. Then again beyond those numbers the way the car drives and feels is much, much better than stock.
    Stock is rated at 333 bhp .. where is the documented path to 360 bhp on a real dyno?

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Stock is rated at 333 bhp .. where is the documented path to 360 bhp on a real dyno?
    Not in the US. Stock is rated 315 bhp.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Was talking crank. There's a fair number of E46 M3's as well as my old NA motor which dynoed in the 310-315whp range on various dynos around the world. Even a conservative drive train adjustment of 15% (for an E46) puts you over 350 crank.
    Last edited by clintjg; 10-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8,E36/7,E36,E30,E23
    Honestly, I feel a little different about the factory airbox than most that have posted on this thread.

Personally, I think the airbox is a point of restriction. If you look at the intake snorkel, it has a lot less capacity than the E46 M3's stock airbox. It is basically a slightly modified S52 airbox.

There are very few reasons that the S54 would make less hp in the Z3 vs the E46. Stock engine management is the same and headers and cats are the same. The only real differences are the airbox and exhaust mufflers.

The mufflers may be some of the restriction, but rarely have I seen cat-back systems provide much more than additional hp on BMWs. Thus I think that airbox is responsible for most of the loss. I believe this is further supported by the lower peak horsepower numbers of the S54 in the M Coupe. I believe this is simply because the motor can't get enough air to support the higher PRMs.

As for my solution: I started with a K&N kit for a E46 M3. On my car the the MAF had to be trimmed slightly to clear the strut tower. I used the heat shield that came with the kit, but trimmed it to fit snugly against the hood of my car. I then trimmed the plastic shroud that sits between the headlights and the air box area to allow air in. To direct air to this area, I cut the metal support that the power steering cooling loop bolts too and bent it into a position where is would direct air coming from the driver's side kidney to the opening behind the headlights. (This only works if you have the aux fan removed.) The other thing I did was to add 4" ducting from the foglight opening (I have a non-M front bumper cover) to the area where the intake is.

With these modifications the air coming in the intake is 7-12 degrees of ambient air temps. When the car is idling for a while the setup does become heat soaked, but quickly cools down once in motion.

-bj

FYI: This is some interesting reading: http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc

2002 M Coupe | 2000 M Roadster w/ LS | 1998 328i w/ S54 | 1987 325is w/ M52 | 1985 735i Turbo

My Cars
    01 M Coupe, 11 E90 M3
    Did the K&N kit fit without the heat shield? I was thinking about giving it a go and just bolting on the tube plus filter.

I think most of the power difference is because the redline on the M3 goes to 8000. rpm and the M coupe only goes to 7600. That could account for most of the power difference right there since the stock air filters are virtually the same.
    01 BMW M Coupe
    20 Porsche Macan Turbo
    11 BMW M3
    18 Porsche GT3
    16 Porsche GT4 *sold*
    98 BMW M roadster *sold*
    11 BMW M3 *RIP*

My Cars
    E36/8,E36/7,E36,E30,E23
    Quote Originally Posted by A W View Post
    Did the K&N kit fit without the heat shield? I was thinking about giving it a go and just bolting on the tube plus filter.
    Nope. Had to modify the MAF to clear the strut tower. I started without the heat shield. I was seeing intake temps of over 220 degrees at 80 miles an hour. It was because most of the air was coming through the radiator. Without the heat shield and additional ducting the car made no power. On a hot day, I couldn't even keep up with a Mini Cooper S on the straits.

Quote Originally Posted by A W View Post
    I think most of the power difference is because the redline on the M3 goes to 8000. rpm and the M coupe only goes to 7600. That could account for most of the power difference right there since the stock air filters are virtually the same.
    I disagree. I believe BMW lowered the red line because the motor couldn't make power any higher than that because of the restrictive airbox. The filters maybe similar dimensions but the snorkels are not. The S54 inbox is fed off of a 2.5" inlet tube that is connected to the driver's side brake duct. The engine side of the intake is 3.5", so it seems simple to see the stock airbox can't get as much air to it as the stock tube to the intake manifold is capable of moving. Additionally, the E46 M3 forces air into the airbox where the Z3's has to suck air from the brake duct. The duct it self won't force much air because it is open on both ends, and is thus relatively low pressure.

As a side note, when I added the heat shield I dumped the K&N filter. My was a used kit I bought on Craigslist for $100. The filter needed to be cleaned and re-oiled, so I opted for a new filter instead. I went with a dry filter from Amsoil. It is 1/4" shorter which gave me some clearance I needed with the aftermarket headlights I have. It also has much more surface area than the K&N because of the greater pleat density.

-bj

2002 M Coupe | 2000 M Roadster w/ LS | 1998 328i w/ S54 | 1987 325is w/ M52 | 1985 735i Turbo

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Was talking crank. There's a fair number of E46 M3's as well as my old NA motor which dynoed in the 310-315whp range on various dynos around the world. Even a conservative drive train adjustment of 15% (for an E46) puts you over 350 crank.
    Your stock NA S54B32 dynoed 315 rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics?

My Cars
    M45, M Roadster
    Loftygoals, can you post pics of your setup? Edmunds.com has clear pics of the engine bays and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work in addition to only a bigger snorkel.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91

My Cars
    E36/8,E36/7,E36,E30,E23
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigmX View Post
    Loftygoals, can you post pics of your setup? Edmunds.com has clear pics of the engine bays and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work in addition to only a bigger snorkel.
    Sure. The car is still in the trailer from my trip to the track last weekend. I'll try to pull it off today and snap some pics.

-bj

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Your stock NA S54B32 dynoed 315 rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=378755

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=81

*sniff*, *sniff* I remember when you used to be all warm and cuddly Kenny... before those meanies in the FI forum got you all jaded and cold....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4&postcount=88

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=378755

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=81

*sniff*, *sniff* I remember when you used to be all warm and cuddly Kenny... before those meanies in the FI forum got you all jaded and cold....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4&postcount=88
    Hehe, looks like we've had this conversation before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast