Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BUILD: 1994 E36 Convertible Lots of Pics Dinan Car

My Cars
    e38 97 740il

BUILD: 1994 E36 Convertible Lots of Pics Dinan Car

So I figured I would just start a thread for this thing since I have a lot planned for it. Its a 94' two owner car that has a Dinan Stage II system on it.

Current to do list...
    M3 Bumper - DONE
    M3 Side Skirts - ON HOLD... Paint the steel?
    OE M3 Side Strips - DONE
    BMW Wind Deflector - DONE
    New Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - HAVE THEM NEED INSTALLED
    Fix Interior Trim - DONE
    Replace Glove Box -
    Smoked Turn Signals - DONE
    Smoked Tails - DONE
    Smoked Side Indicators - DONE
    Smoked Fogs - DONE
    Front License Plate Delete Trim - for sale...
    MB Quartz speakers in stock locations w Alpine head unit and JL Audio 6 channel amp - DONE
    10" Sub with JL mono amp - DONE
    iPhone hardwired to Alpine unit - DONE
    Paint lower rear bumper factory paint color to match - DONE
    Lower the front suspension only more - HAVE SPRINGS NEED INSTALLED
    Paint Wheels - COLOR? Black, Silver, Grey...
    Replace Top - This will have to wait... I never put it up anyway!
    New Floor Mats - DINAN ON THE WAY>>
    New Headlights - What will fit with a Dinan intake? DEPO will NOT...

OK so here are some pictures of the car before most of the work started...

Shot at 2010-09-08

Shot at 2010-09-08

Shot at 2010-09-08

Shot at 2010-09-08

Shot at 2010-09-08

Shot at 2010-09-08

OK so here is some progress work...
    JL Amps mounted in the trunk

Shot at 2010-09-27
    Here are the trim pieces you need to be able to securly mount the factory windscreen mine as you can see were trash

Shot at 2010-09-27
    New ones

Shot at 2010-09-27
    My new to me BMW windscreen... this is a must have item for these cars you can run with the AC or Heat on in any weather with this thing.

Shot at 2010-09-27
    A little bump for the trunk... Not much space on these cars so I built a custom box to fit in where the cubby/ski pass was located

Shot at 2010-09-27
    iPhone connection done routed it under the center trim... not sure if I will keep it here or not.

Started replacing on the orange with smoked lenses

Shot at 2010-09-27
    Replaced the front license plate holder with the cleaner trim one but now that I have found the DDM M3 bumper it will be up for sale soon...

Shot at 2010-09-27
    I know it was a little thing but these were loose as some of the clips were broken so ordered new clips and here you go no more loose trim!

Shot at 2010-09-27
    This drives me crazy, everyone else thinks I am crazy to care about it but I will have to replace this once I find a nice used one for a good price.

Shot at 2010-09-27
    Last edited by subspd; 10-12-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    1994 325ic - 5spd - Dinan Stage II - CF Intake - Exhaust - Throttle Body - Software - Suspension - M Bumper and Door Trim - Smoked Lights

My Cars
    Too Many
    Cool, nice build!!!

I have the same problem with the glove box. It is not just the vinyl that is sagging, it is the entire plastic door. I can't find an old one that is not sagging so I am thinking about taking the heat gun to it and trying to bend it back into shape.

I will do it as soon as I get some free time, so you'll know if it worked or not. Right now I am busy fixing the popular driver's side floor leak

My Cars
    e38 97 740il
    Let me know if that works I was thinking the same way...
    OE M3 side trim will go on tomorrow! Skipping the DDM ones since everyone says that the fitment is poor. I am also thinking about skipping the DDM side skirts (again ppl say they are too long) and just sanding down the steel skirts and painting them to match... Anyone done this?
    1994 325ic - 5spd - Dinan Stage II - CF Intake - Exhaust - Throttle Body - Software - Suspension - M Bumper and Door Trim - Smoked Lights

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    do a search on the side skirt paint removal. the rubber paint can be stripped away w/ the body color is underneath it...

and i'm very jealous of how clean your interior is...mine is worn from florida sun damage

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj
    and a few more project cars!!!

My Cars
    98 E36, 12 Wrangler
    What is a Dinan stage 2? Is that a turbo or supercharger?

My Cars
    e39sport,e36ic/5,e30eta
    nice. 94 is great.

My Cars
    e38 97 740il
    Only difference with a Stage III is that it has the supercharger this stage II has everything but the mats and pedals. Suspension, intake, throttle body, strut bars, full exhaust, software.

My Cars
    1993 BMW E36 Saloon
    I think its funny that we all have this glove box issue i was going to say the same thing. nice ride proper build, i owned one convertible and just wasnt for me def props tho nice color.

My Cars
    98 E36, 12 Wrangler
    Nice BMW. What's up with the plastic wrap on the carpet?

My Cars
    e38 97 740il
    Had the carpet cleaned and they laid it down just hadn't taken it off yet. Still trying to decide what mats to get mine are shot.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Looking good neighbor! I'd probably go with the Dinan mats since you have related Dinan mods. depends on price diff

My Cars
    '94 Geo Tracker (RIP), '97 328i
    Nice placement of the sub box. I did the same thing in my trunk.
    Lots of bass and looks good!

"Once you're defeated mentally, you might was well not even go to the starting line."
    -Todd Williams

My Cars
    e38 97 740il
    Got the idea from BSW but I went with a 10" I'm getting a little rattle though sometimes from the trunk it could be the jack or something else loose I'm going to have to hunt it down and then maybe lay some dynamat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    Looking good neighbor! I'd probably go with the Dinan mats since you have related Dinan mods. depends on price diff
    Yeah the Dinan ones are crazy priced they run $100 more than the OE ones. But I'm going to a Dinan open house this fall and may see if I cant get them cheaper there.

New side trim is on! These were easy but pricey... just 6 of the grommets were $20 from the stealer... You can see the lights better in these shots as well. I also was able to get a deal on some Dinan mats so while they were still more than the factory ones I figured they would "fit" the car better. This Friday I will start the paint work on the rear bumper and side skirts...

Shot at 2010-09-28

Shot at 2010-09-28

Shot at 2010-09-28
    Last edited by subspd; 09-28-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e38 97 740il

Shot at 2010-10-01

Shot at 2010-10-01

Shot at 2010-10-01

More pictures to come tomorrow...

What I did was scrub all the grey off like has been mentioned on here many times but mine were a little banged up so I then resprayed them with three coats of base and 3 coats of clear. Color looks good!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    I like this; Just lower the front a bit but it's going great!! Good luck

maybe hardtop!?

RIP
    325ci Topaz Blau/ 5 Speed

My Cars
    96 328i boston green
    very nice doing the same to my side skirts also , respraying my car next weekend so im gunna prep stuff this week , fun fun lol

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    really clean...not a big fan of convertible..but it does look sexy
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    02 330i, past: E30, E36
    +1 for getting a hardtop, if you can find one/have the funds. I'm not a fan of verts but E36's with hardtops look just fine.

My Cars
    00s400s495 M300e39
    wat size is that sub? mine just blew out recently and i would like to do one just like yours to save some space.

My Cars
    99 E36 323iC
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Shot at 2010-10-01

Shot at 2010-10-01

Shot at 2010-10-01

More pictures to come tomorrow...

What I did was scrub all the grey off like has been mentioned on here many times but mine were a little banged up so I then resprayed them with three coats of base and 3 coats of clear. Color looks good!
    You REALLY need to wet sand the orange peel out of that.

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73188 View Post
    You REALLY need to wet sand the orange peel out of that.
    That's not orange peel. They are coated with that "pebbled" finish at the factory.

My Cars
    e38 97 740il
    Yeah that is the primer used at the factory. I could have sanded it all out I guess but I was afraid it wouldnt be uniform so I left it. It's probably better to leave it anyway to prevent rust.

My Cars
    99 E36 323iC
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Yeah that is the primer used at the factory. I could have sanded it all out I guess but I was afraid it wouldnt be uniform so I left it. It's probably better to leave it anyway to prevent rust.
    IMHO... It looks like shit. You REALLY should strip it back down, sand it smooth and do it right.

My Cars
    E36 318Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73188 View Post
    IMHO... It looks like shit. You REALLY should strip it back down, sand it smooth and do it right.

That is "right".

leave the undercoating. Get factory skirts if you're worried about the look. I'm sure in due time, rust will find it's way easier with non-treated rocker panels. These cars are prone to rust in these areas.

My Cars
    99 E36 323iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Okin View Post
    That is "right".

leave the undercoating. Get factory skirts if you're worried about the look. I'm sure in due time, rust will find it's way easier with non-treated rocker panels. These cars are prone to rust in these areas.
    Hmm... I guess he is on the east coast. I have NEVER seen even a slightly rusty e36 over here on the west coast. I hardly EVER see rust on cars at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast