Thread: Bluetooth & IBOC Retrofit

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08

Bluetooth & IBOC Retrofit

As I am waiting for my D-CAN cable to arrive. What software should (or can) I use to add a Bluetooth (ULF) and HD Radio (IBOC) modules to my 08 R56 Cooper? I know I will need a more recent version, but I just don't know which one! Thank you!!

OOO, I think I found it in INPA!!! This is so exciting!!
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 09-23-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi inpa is for diagnosis if you wish to add modules you will need ncsexpert to change your VO by adding the new module FA.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Great! Thank you!

I got the cables yesterday and was able to connect to the car with INPA 5.00 (I thought I installed 5.0.2), but it only read a few things out of my Cooper (like the air bag, audio gateway, and the cluster, and all of those gave warning messages that the versions were wrong). Most of the selections in INPA just gave error messages or script not found.
    Finally with the brilliant help of the many posts here I got the DIS v57 reading the car fine. But, of course, it will not code and v44 is way too old (2005) as the R56 is from 2007.

I launched NCS expert yesterday but it made no sense at first glance as English is my only language, time to do more research now!

Okay, I found my NCS Expert version is too old for the R56 (my build is 1/08) as the DATEN folders contain no R56). I am trying to figure out why I don't have that directory even though my version of NCS Expert is at 3.1.0. I found the post http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...36&postcount=8

with the latest daten files. But that archive does not contain the R56xxx.000 files within the Daten folder. Hopefully that is all I need. I am a bit frustrated by the "newness" of this MINI. :-/

And because of this newness do you think Progman SSS would be a better route to add these two modules to my car? And, of course, what version would I need?

Okay now I am just reviewing NCS DUMMY module files from the above Daten files (I have not read the car trace files yet). UNBELIEVABLE! There are a lot of choices in the just the radio! I am looking at RAD2.C51 and am blown away, the filter section explains the lack of bass that the non-HIFI MINI owners are frustrated with.

In that module there is the following:
    IBOC
    nicht_aktiv not active
    aktiv active
    ULF_ECE
    nicht_aktiv not active
    aktiv active

Would those be the only thing I would need to change in the car, or does the audio gateway also need to be changed?

Can I change my gong sound too?!?!?

In what module can I turn off or ideally extend the time until the seatbelt starts chiming at me (the 30 seconds now is AWFUL)??? Gosh this is fun! Sorry for all of the questions.

Okay so after working on learning NCS Expert all day today I finally have some progress to report!

It works!

I don't have the IBOC and the ULF modules installed yet so I just don't know if activating them in the 2RAD module will be enough. Those options are available in the radio in NCS so at least have a starting point when I get them installed this week. I have a feeling the only thing that will do is enable the "soft button" to show up on the radio display. But that maybe all I need. Also there is a USB option as well that I guess I may need to turn on.

In other news I think I turned off that horrible seat belt reminder with NCS. Didn't drive the car yet so I can't confirm.

So can I use Progman v32 with the R56?
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 09-25-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    9/28/10

UGH I am not happy with this NCS Expert and the R56. So I tried to enable the IBOC tuner in the RADIO. The setting took to the radio but all it did was remove the tuner from the radio!

I need to edit the Audio Gateway Module and/or the vehicle order to make the presence of the new modules known.

Even in DIS the IBOC module cannot be read even though it is installed. My next step is to get the latest Progman installed to see if I can get these modules installed in the car. Using NCS probably just won't work for me with these v34 daten files.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    I tried Progman v32 and after reading the vehicle order an error message stated that the dates on my car's software was too new. I then updated the v38 data files within Progman, and then all I got was an interface error (necessary to use OP(P)S/ICOM for the connected vehicle) after it had been reading the vehicle order. champaign777 mentioned a special patch for DCAN cars without OPP, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have looked into updating the vehicle order but I have not had much luck, NCS only reads four or five modules from my car and I don't know if they are the right ones for the vehicle order. And I have no idea where to find the FA codes for these two modules.
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10-05-2010 at 11:05 AM.

My Cars
    2003 330ci, 1998 328ic
    What modules are you trying to add to the car and what are their P/N? You can look the P/N up on RealOEM and sometimes get the code to add to your FA from there. For the HD Radio is believe is $653. What exact modules are u looking for the FA code for? ULF or TCU bluetooth? or just HD radio or what?

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Very interesting!

Yeah I am trying to add both Bluetooth/USB and the HDRadio IBOC 65129119363 I don't see anything else listed on RealOEM

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=65&fg=05

And the ULF 84109207360

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=84&fg=20

No codes seem to be on RealOEM, at least that I can see.

Thanks for looking!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    HD radio is probably a software difference rather than hardware. You can try adding the option code to your VO and recoding the radio module - if you're lucky it'll work. If not, you'll probably have to reprogram the module using WinKFP and then recode it with NCS Expert

My Cars
    2003 330ci, 1998 328ic
    What Terra said is what i was going for. You can get the option codes out of RealOEM, If you add otion code $644 to the VO you should be able to program the ULF correctly.
    Last edited by mystert; 10-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Another maybe unrelated issue I am having is that I cannot access the audio gateway (which I believe is what runs the MOST fiber optic network) with NCS. DIS v57 did not detect the IBOC module.

Changing the Vehicle Order may cause the gateway to automatically enable the IBOC. I have not yet tried to install the ULF. It looks like S6FLA is the USB prep package, but I don't think that is the option code for Bluetooth.

Update: OOOOOO I see what you are talking about, I did a search on realoem from google and see how some of the other BMW pages show "For vehicles with High Definition Radio S653A=Yes" Doesn't show that for the R56 page. Okay cool when I get home tonight I will see if I can update the VO from NCS, but I am skeptical.

Oh I think the Bluetooth is 644.
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10-05-2010 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    2003 330ci, 1998 328ic
    $644 is the option code for bluetooth. Bluetooth is totally different than USB. When I installed a ULF in my 330ci it was plug and play, i didnt even need to program anything, i did use SSS anyway just in case.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Great! I will try to plug the ULF in and see what happens! It looks to be a bit muddy but I agree it probably is $644 for Bluetooth. For USB, would have to put S6NFA into the vehicle order? Not sure if it takes non-numerics. Thanks! Upon more research it looks like S6NEA is the bluetooth+usb package.
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10-05-2010 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    For S6NEA, you would input $6NE. If your car supports the option it should take it - my dad's E60 for example has option codes $2VB and $6FL

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Oh great thanks! That's a good idea, I forgot I have an E60 and an E63 I could pull NCS codes to compare to the R56.

If NCS fails to write the vehicle order than it is on to buying a J2534 pass through tool to connect to BMW directly. Doh!

I am following writing out the vehicle order in NCS guide from the 4shared site. I wrote out to the CAS. But the guide then says to write out to the LMA module (the backup).

I don't have an LMA in the list!!!!

I have:
    2RAD
    4BMOT
    ABG
    CAS
    DSC
    EPS
    FRM
    HAMP
    IHKA
    KOMBI
    SHD
    SPEG
    SZL

Oh Okay I think it is the FRM. That is the only other module that appears when I first load the car. And now I see when I choose that it gives me the "old" vehicle order.

___

Yep that worked

So I updated the two modules with the $653 code for IBOC. But nothing happens any different on the radio (the NCS trace file still shows IBOC=not active on RAD2).

And when I force IBOC active on the RAD2, the tuner is no longer selectable from the radio. Just dashed lines.

______
    So DIS v57 shows the IBOC tuner now as part of the vehicle order. But the module still can't be accessed. INPA does not read it either.

What I am supposed to do after updating the Vehicle Order?? THANKS

Do I need to disconnect the battery to get the car to reboot? I let the car go into deep sleep and still I have no radio tuner. Ugh!

______

Upon just reviewing the schematics on the WDS, as this IBOC tuner is on the MOST bus with a stupid one-way optical network, the lack of the ULF and the SDARS (sat radio) modules in the network could be my problem! I wonder how I could complete the optical circuit at the SDARS connector...this is annoying. But reading up on the MOST bus it looks like the connectors have a built-in bypass "Each input of the connector has a direct optical connection to the opposite output." That makes sense because my AMP is still working which is also on the MOST ring.

The WDS also talks about how the MOST bus needs to have it's configuration updated when the ring changes. I really wish my Progman would get past that OPPS screen with the v38 daten files. Oh well, I think it is time to go the official route.
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10-06-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    After a few hours of working with DIS I have determined my MOST bus ring is not enabled. There is only one MOST bus device the car sees and that is the head unit. Even in DIS it saw my Vehicle Order change to include the IBOC and it tried to communicate with it, and it even tried to save the configuration of the ring with the IBOC but that failed due to the fact there is no MOST ring. My car does not have any other MOST devices (no bluetooth [yet], no SDARS, no NAV). So I am not sure what to do at this point.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    I knew the new cars were a pain in the ass, but god damn... I don't know what to do. I will say that since adding the option code added the IBOC module to the list of modules, that the difference probably isn't software. Sounds like there's another module that sits on the bus. I don't really know enough about the new cars to help you out though.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    I really do appreciate the help and advice. I have learned so much!! There is probably a few things wrong and I can't put the pieces together. I have a feeling that my lack of a MOST bus is a big problem, and I may not have a MOST ring setup. And I just received the actual install instructions for the bluetooth kit from a very nice dealer and yes, there is a shitload of "rewiring" the MOST bus involved. Maybe I can modify it to include the optical paths that include the IBOC tuner. If not, oh well, I am not out that much on the IBOC, I got it for a good price.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    If you had the MOST connectors to connect up the IBOC tuner box, your car should be equipped with a MOST ring then. Usually there's two little blocks in your car where all the fibre connections will plug into. You have to move the specific fibres for that connection from the "inactive" block to the "active" block in order to add the wiring to the ring.

Because MOST is fibre optic and a ring, you can't have them all on active block because there is no device to relay the signal to the next device in the ring, effectively breaking the ring.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Thanks! Yes the car is prepped with most (not MOST ha!) of the MOST ring, I did not realize it wasn't active. Where my big problem was that I had assumed my HIFI amplifier was on the MOST bus because the WDS of the R56 said it was (come to find out my amp does not, but some of the fancier BMW amps do). And then when I went to plug in the HD Tuner I thought it was fishy there was no loop-back on the two fibers. But after looking at the amp and DIS information about the MOST bus, and then finding the loop at the fuse box, I figured it all out. I am *****still***** waiting for my parts order to come. The Bluetooth retrofit kit comes with new MOST fiber to run down to the module under the seat and it comes with a loopback connector that may or may not be needed depending on the car. Because I want to add the HD tuner I ordered another one to loop out the SDARS receiver I don't have under the pass seat. I am sure I will get it figured out here.

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08

IBOC Sucess

After spending two hours with flash lights and sorting through the rats nest of MOST cables under the dash, I reconfigured the MOST ring and got the HD tuner plug lit up correctly!

IT WORKED!!!

All I had to do for programming is use NCS Expert and enable IBOC in the radio module. Didn't need to change the vehicle order even.

So I spent the day tearing the dash apart for the bluetooth wiring that needs to be added behind the radio, still waiting for the parts!!!

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    So I had the bluetooth ULF finally installed! I was able to active the bluetooth module and enable USB support in NCS as well. But I don't have the voice control (I think it is limited subset without the navigation computer) like I believe I am supposed to have.

My plan all along was to do the "official" retrofit through ISTA/P using a J2534 tool connected to BMW Online. But my Mongoose ISO cable did not hold the connection stable enough to get past the loading screen when the vehicle order shows up. I spent 13 hours trying to get it work yesterday. SOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATED with that.

I had added the IBOC tuner to the Vehicle Order before but nothing changed in the Radio module because the module did not get reset to default. I know I just asked this in the E90 coding section, but I just don't know how to do that step. Can anyone confirm what I am missing?

I think if I add the IBOC code 653 and the 6ND for my bluetooth and usb setup I will get everything work right. Then I will be able to use NCS to go into the IBOC and ULF modules (they don't show up now in NCS) and see if there is fun stuff to change.

Joey

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08

Done

Using the help of Rondo and others I decided to edit my Vehicle Order in NCS to include the IBOC and BT/USB. I coded the new VO in my CAS and FRM modules. Then "defaulted" my radio2 module using the non-trace file manipulation in NCS.

Works perfect! The voice control button on the steering wheel works as well (as it didn't before with trace file manipulation, I obviously didn't know what to edit).

I wish I would have just done this from the beginning, so much easier!

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i Sedan
    Strobeyprobey,

Kudos for all your frustrating and hard work, but it sounds like it all paid off!
    I'm also wanting to add the IBOC module to my 2009 335i sedan. Maybe also the SDARS module (sat prep is already in the vehicle apparently).

Would you be willing to print up a parts list and a step-by-step tutorial on how to add IBOC, ULF and SDARS modules and how to code them into the car?

Thanks!

My Cars
    Z3 96, Cooper 08
    Well I won't be able to give you a parts list because I am just not familiar with your car. You will have to study your car's location for the IBOC module and the appropriate part diagram pages on RealOEM.com or the ETK. You may or may not need brackets, MOST (fiber optic) parts, screws, and boxes if they need to go under the seat. I depends on your month and year of manufacture.

For example, here is a page I randomly grabbed
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...id=51055&hg=65

The bluetooth retrofit kit came with everything but the ULF module. There was a TON of stuff in the box including some pretty intense harnesses, and I believe the kit I got is very similar to your car.

Since I was doing all MINI cooper work, I only have the instructions to install into the R56, dig around for PDFs for your model car for the install of the ULF and SDARS. IBOC may not be an official retrofit from BMW. You can also call up a dealer and request the install instructions. Morristown MINI/BMW provided the instructions to me via email.

The tricky part will be dealing with your MOST bus. It really depends on your car if you even have a fiber optic MOST ring active, and what will need to be changed/modified to add modules. ULF (bluetooth), sat, and iboc are all MOST bus devices. Using flashlights and common sense (and finding a spare fiber line already in the car) was the only way I was able to figure out how to reconfigure my car to get the IBOC working. Bluetooth install was extremely detailed and took many hours. The instructions are written for someone who knows what they are doing and took me extra hours to figure out what they meant in many cases. It involved removing and replacing pins on the back of the radio harness even.

Coding into the car will be up to you on how you want to do it. I ended up using NCS to do it by modifying the Vehicle Order string and "defaulting" the Radio (RAD2) module (I believe we have basically the same radio) by coding in NCS without trace file manipulation. You maybe able to also use Progman to retrofit these options, but since you are 09 I bet you may have to use ISTA/P (and that will require a BMW capable J2534 pass through tool and a subscription to bmwtechinfo.com).
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 12-28-2010 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i Sedan
    Thanks, Strobeyprobey,

Well, still, I'm very impressed with what you accomplished with the ULF and the IBOC retrofits.
    Apparently, IBOC is NOT an official retrofit, and I'm having difficulty finding a BMW dealer who's willing to attempt it.
    I downloaded a copy of NCSDummy, but it seems to have a virus in it! Keeps crashing my Adobe Flash software.
    I'd be willing to pay someone to do this for me....I'll keep searching. Thanks again so much for the knowledge you've imparted to all of us on the board!