Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compass mirror

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

Compass mirror

...is in!

I fitted one a couple of months ago, but didn't finish the project until 2 weeks ago, as I have the (Euro only) factory alarm option, which has the keyless entry module inside the factory mirror.

Compass mirror is now fully functional, including the remote control.
    That last was the hardest part, the rest is basically plug & play. Problem with new BMW's is how the remote works, or so I understand. Different inputs for opening/closing etc.

So to get this work, only one option was left. Remove the remote control unit from the factory mirror and place it somewhere under the dash. Then figure out what wires from the harness are going to the mirror part and what to the remote part. And hope they don't have shared wires (which they do!)

Here's some snippets of the project.

Open up the factory mirror. This is hard. The bezel hardly pulls off. I somehow managed to get it off and don't break any of the tabs.

Things is, I didn't dare trying it on the expensive and much harder to find compass mirror. The best solution would be to open up the compass mirror, switch out the new for the old remote module (if they are the same size, which I don't know either and if the new mirrors actually have a remote module at all, as I have seen inside pics that showed no module), close it up and hook everything up. Maybe I'll try that in the future. Saves lots of work. So it's v1.0 for now.

Mirror opened, glass removed. This what you see is the remote control unit. The blue wire is the antenna.

Back of auto-dimm glass. Lots of electronics on this!

remote control unit removed.

To remove the wiring you have to take out all the pins on the black connector to pull the wires through. Make sure you write down which color pin is in what number position (or as I like to do, make digital pics of it).

The remote module fitted in a spare comb-connectors holder, switched upside down. A couple of small screws + bolts to raise it a little but, to protect all the electronics on the other side of the PCB.

And then fitted in the bowels of the dash. As I have lots of modules on mine, since I have nearly every factory option (and then some) I only had some space left under and right of the right glovebox vent tube.

And as the new style mirrors have different plastic covers, they also use a different style of grommet. So again, out with all the pins, feed them through the new grommet and put them back in the connector.

Now if you don't have a factory alarm (dealer installed/dealer approved) you already have the remote control in another location and you can just plug & play the mirror in. Oh well!

- I also ran 2 extra wires from the factory alarm led to the mirror for that όber cool alarm led at the bottom of the mirror. That way you can see from far away that the car is armed (and so do others) so you don't have to get next to the car and look inside.
    Gives me an extra space for a switch in front of the gearstick, although I don't have any options left to fit that would use a switch in that location.
    Maybe I'll hook up both leds.

Couple of pics of the finished situation.

Besides the mirror itself, this base is covered by two big plastic trimpieces, unlike the factory mirror.
    I like the thick look that is creates, but what is best, is that, as you can see, the covers go all the way against the windshield, completely hiding the (hexagonal) mounting point. The stock metal base that has 2 small covers on the base itself, doesn't hide it.

The thicker rubber grommet, almost completely compressed. I was a little worried this might not fitted correctly as the position is slightly offset, but it all went in pretty well, although incredibly fiddly to do.

Side view of the base's trimpiece

On the factory (auto dimm) mirror, the light sensitive sensor was exposed behind a simple hole in the back of the mirror. On this later style mirror, there is a nice piece of transparent plastic that covers it.

All new look. Really liking this myself.

Why? Goes well with all the other switches, matrix displays and amber lights; I want them all.

PS: my car was factory fitted with alarm-remote control/keyless entry and auto dimming mirror.
    For that, I already had a connector at the rearview mirror with 10(!) wires going to it (which is funny as the factory mirror only has 9 pins). The compass mirror also has 9 pins, but the one not used is in a different position.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Be assured that hte E46 onwards cars that had the compass mirror option have their radio receiver in the AM/FM amplifier. Fairly sure that's true for the cabrio too, but you can check the WDS can also check to see what all the other wires are for in the mirror.

(Search for A22 in the E46 and X5 - seems to be power, GND, LED, dim control for the wing mirrors and reverse signal).

You will need Java and Adobe's SVG viewer.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by estocks View Post
    Be assured that hte E46 onwards cars that had the compass mirror option have their radio receiver in the AM/FM amplifier. Fairly sure that's true for the cabrio too, but you can check the WDS can also check to see what all the other wires are for in the mirror.

(Search for A22 in the E46 and X5 - seems to be power, GND, LED, dim control for the wing mirrors and reverse signal).

You will need Java and Adobe's SVG viewer.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. The mirror works completely and so does my radio and all. It doesn't affect the radio system in whatever way.

IG:

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Nice job. I have the auto dimming mirror I plan to install which is much more pedestrian than your install. I have done the Gentex mirrors auto diming and with compass in my Ford Diesel Superduty and it is a nice add.

Nice look well integrated...

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. The mirror works completely and so does my radio and all. It doesn't affect the radio system in whatever way.
    Sorry, I scoot read your text and misunderstood. thought you were worring that you had two radio receivers fighting for a signal.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    Alpine Vert
    MPar... you truly are a marvel of electronic wizardry with our cars. Bravo!!

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Just some additional notes on this from my ongoing project.

My 1998 UK E36 with EC mirror uses the same 10 pin plug as the E46, and the same plastic arm housings - no new grommet required.

The factory harness wires on the E36 are Violet/White (IGN), Brown/Orange (GND) and Blue/Yellow (Reverse, active high).

Some E36 EC mirror vs E46 EC mirror pics. E46 mirror is thicker and a smidge (1/2cm) wider. Same height. Housings have the same part numbers stamped inside.

Last edited by Joylove; 01-17-2011 at 05:26 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I wonder if that is your original mirror or not because as far as I know, the E36 never came with the later style EC mirror, the one with the larger base foot that takes the larger encaps.

I think some previous owner fitted that to the car as it probably did not have an EC mirror before.

The 10-pin connector is the same for all model BMW's. Some have more wires than others. Mine had 10 wires going to the plug.

I can report the remote function still works as good the day I mounted it under the dash, though eventually I might open the compass mirror and see if the remote receiver fits in there.
    Actually I'm pretty sure this is the case. The OEM E36 EC mirror is a (slightly) different model (thicker lower plastic edge) not visible in my pics.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    I wonder if that is your original mirror or not because as far as I know, the E36 never came with the later style EC mirror, the one with the larger base foot that takes the larger encaps.

I think some previous owner fitted that to the car as it probably did not have an EC mirror before.
    Interesting. I'll try and get the PN from the mirror, and I guess it's about time I tried lifting the rear seat to find the build spec.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Cool. looks like you got it just the way you wanted...

As you know, I went the other direction as I did NOT want an Alarm LED in my mirror and instead wanted autodimm + compass + HOMELINK.

Homelink is awesome as it gets rid of the need to carry a garage door opener remote (and also gives me 2 spare buttons to program to the garage doors at my mom's house and my sister's house).

1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yeah got what I wanted. I have no garage or anything to open so HomeLink would be having 3 non-working switches.

You have a green compass right? Any (night) pics?

The BMW compass mirror was a direct fit was well. Not need to change the mounting thing on the windshield.

PS: you have the led ambient lights on the wrong side of the interior domelight.
    Last edited by MParallel; 01-18-2011 at 06:34 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    I have one of these compass mirrors retro fitted to the e39. I was thinking about doing the e36 good to have some one else go through the learning process first. Thanks for the write up MPar.
    Last edited by rebel.ranter; 01-29-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typos
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    I have one of these compass mirrors retro fitted to the e39. Iwas thinking about doing the e36 goodto have some one else gothrough the learning process first. Thanks for the write up MPar.
    It's nice to have E36-firsts, but as you enter unexplored territory it can be a **** at times.

IG:

My Cars
    1999 BMW 332is
    OP Im sorry if I missed something, is the mirror you used OEM for an E36 or from another car?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by tejawxyz View Post
    OP Im sorry if I missed something, is the mirror you used OEM for an E36 or from another car?
    Another BMW model. It's a 2006/07+ mirror. There were no compass mirrors when the E36 was in production, making this mod all the more fun.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    It's nice to have E36-firsts, but as you enter unexplored territory it can be a **** at times.
    Certainly not the first to have a compass mirror. But, Maybe the first to retrofit the alarm antenna stuff though...

But I get what you're saying, innovation is cool. I'd venture a guess that I very well could be the first to fit a Thule Roof rack like I did onto the E36 vert hardtop... Never know...
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Certainly not the first to have a compass mirror. But, Maybe the first to retrofit the alarm antenna stuff though...

But I get what you're saying, innovation is cool. I'd venture a guess that I very well could be the first to fit a Thule Roof rack like I did onto the E36 vert hardtop... Never know...
    Let me rephrase: an E36 with fully working OEM auto-dimming/DWA/Compass mirror

The funny thing is, if I didn't have the factory alarm, but BMW approved one/installed one, I wouldn't have had the whole remote issue.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 M3 Converible SMGI
    I have an e36 which I believe doesn't have an auto dimming mirror, uk 98 M3 vert.

Can I retro fit the mirror with the compass? I'm not fussed about the dimming or alarm features, just want the compass.

Which model is the mirror off too?

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by JamboM3 View Post
    I have an e36 which I believe doesn't have an auto dimming mirror, uk 98 M3 vert.

Can I retro fit the mirror with the compass? I'm not fussed about the dimming or alarm features, just want the compass.

Which model is the mirror off too?
    Yes you can fit it, but when you power up the compass, the EC part is also powered up.

It shipped with loads of BMWs from the 03's onwards (roughly). Best bet is the X5, and then most likely to find one in the US.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I can tell the compass is utterly useless

IG:

My Cars
    1998 M3 Converible SMGI
    I dont think mine has any wiring in it as its a basic M3 Convertible. Dont think it dims? Anyway to check visually?

If compass is useless then might not bother if i have to route wires everywhere.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by JamboM3 View Post
    I dont think mine has any wiring in it as its a basic M3 Convertible. Dont think it dims? Anyway to check visually?

If compass is useless then might not bother if i have to route wires everywhere.
    Yes it's easy to check. There will be a hole on the front of the mirror housing for the front light sensor and also one on the glass.

Or maybe easier, it won't have the knob/tab underneath to flip it into night mode.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 M3 Converible SMGI
    Thanks dude.

If there are no wires present, am i only going to need power for the compass?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Converible SMGI
    Got a part number off the mirror?

Home link one is about £230 here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast