BMW of Bloomfield
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 E36 with 5.0 V8 engine swap, H&R, Koni's...(GA)

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM

1996 E36 with 5.0 V8 engine swap, H&R, Koni's...(GA)

Up for sale is a one-of-a-kind BMW with a Mustang 5.0 V8 Engine. This car is fast, clean, and priced to sell. (EDIT: Price reduced to $7,500 OBO)

Pictures:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/65Matt/350iBMWWith50Engine#

Videos:
    Most recent:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seWYVz368-w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seWYVz368-w[/ame]
    all videos I’ve taken:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/E36V8

Conversion information:
    www.e36v8.com

Chassis:
    BMW 1996 328i with approx. 190k miles. No accidents. The exterior color is original BMW white paint, and the interior is black leather. I’ve owned the car since 2003.

In 2009, I installed brand new H&R sport springs, Koni single adjustable shocks, M3 strut hats (offset for more caster). Several years ago, I installed polyurethane rear trailing arms and replaced the front control arms. With the car, I will include the original stock springs and front struts, if the buyer wishes.

I removed the rubber rag joint on the steering shaft and replaced it with a custom Flaming River U-joint.

The wheels are staggered M3 17”, where the rear wheels are wider than the front. The fronts are 8” and rears are 9”. The tires are Michelin Pilot sports. They are not bald, but they could probably use replacing. Two of the tires don’t hold air that well. I replaced the brake pads with new in 2009.

Engine and drivetrain:
    The Engine is a Ford 5.0 (302) EFI from a '91 Mustang in good condition.
    Mustang T5 transmission and new clutch. It runs great, and has the following modifications to it: Explorer intake & throttle body, K&N filter, aftermarket shorty headers. Custom mandrel bent single 3" exhaust w/ high flow cat and summit turbo muffler (single 3” in/ 3” out). It has fully functioning Ford EFI, mass-air system. The Motor mounts are E30 polyurethane units, with custom steel welded mounts. For more information on the 5.0 engine conversion, please see my website, see www.e36v8.com for more details.

The drivetrain consists of a stock Mustang 5.0 T5 World Class manual 5 speed transmission in good condition. I replaced the clutch with a new stock clutch when I installed the engine. The rear end is the original stock BMW rear end with 3.90 gear ratio. The rear end tag does not indicate limited slip, but when you launch it hard, both tires will spin.

Recent maintenance:
    All of these things were done to the car during the conversion, within the last year or so:
    • New springs, struts, strut hats
    • New fuel filter and fuel hoses
    • New clutch and new flywheel
    • New hydraulic slave cylinder for transmission, including hoses
    • New exhaust, complete with catalytic converter and Summit turbo muffler
    • Replaced steering rack with used unit (I messed up the splines on the original rack)
    • All new hoses, belts, etc.
    • New radiator and cap
    • New driveshaft and U-joints
    • New K&N air filter
    • New fluids and oil filter
    • New gaskets on the engine – oilpan, valve cover, intake, throttle body
    • New injector O-rings and injectors cleaned
    • New front brake pads
    • Brake fluid flushed

Go fast goodies:
    I installed the following go-fast parts when I did the conversion (upgrades/mods)
    • Koni shocks
    • H&R sport springs
    • M3 spring hats
    • Custom 3” exhaust
    • Explorer intake and throttle body
    • Aftermarket Mustang shorty headers
    • K&N filter
    • Underdrive pulleys

History:
    I bought this car for my wife in 2003 with around 120k on it. The car had been well cared for, and my wife drove it for years with the 328i engine and automatic transmission. No accidents. When she bought a newer car, I inherited this car. I always had dreams of stuffing a 5.0 in it. I was in awe of the guys putting LS1’s in their cars, but there was no way I could afford the 20k it was going to take to put it in.

I spend about a year from teardown to running condition, figuring out things along the way and documenting my progress. I had so much interest in this swap that I started getting requests for motor mounts, transmission mount, and a conversion manual so that others could do this swap cheaply and easily. The 5.0 engine conversion has gained momentum as many other people have finished their swaps and people see that there is an alternative to the LS1 or BMW turbo kits.

Other info:

• Car is very clean with no accidents, approximately 195k on chassis
    • Car works great with a few thousand miles on it
    • Issues: A/C is not connected, chip in windshield, one tire loses air, and I haven't corrected the tach: To correct tach, just install a Dakota Digital Tach converter, approximately $75 from Summit Racing
    • Car is located in Columbus, GA

Price:
    $7,500 or best offer

FAQ’s and other info:
    • How does it feel? It’s weird, I can’t decide if it’s more like a Mustang or a BMW. The best way to describe it is: The steering wheel and brakes feel like a BMW, but the gas pedal and the sound feels like a Mustang.
    • How does the engine run? It starts, idles and runs fine, just like if it were in any car. Definitely more raw-feeling, with tons of torque and power.
    • How is the transmission, drivetrain, clutch? It works good, reverse is a little loud. I have removed the stock BMW flexdisc, so there is more of a direct connection from the engine to the wheels, so it doesn’t feel as smooth as a BMW transmission. The shift rod I made to fit under the console is directly bolted to the transmission rod with no vibration dampeners, so it definitely feels different. The clutch pedal is super easy to push, almost unbelievably easy. This is because the slave cylinder has just enough travel to actuate the clutch. You take out any slack by adjusting a nut on the rod that pushes the clutch fork. If you wanted a stiffer pedal or more travel, down the road one day you might install a larger universal type clutch master cylinder. But it works fine as is.
    • How many miles have you put on it? Probably a few hundred to a thousand. I drove it some, then my brother drove it for several months.
    • Any maintenance issues? During the time we drove it, we sorted out a few things, like adjusting the slave cylinder travel as the clutch broke in. We redid the header gaskets, and redid the front exhaust pipe after it popped off and
    • What is the gas mileage? I haven’t measured it, but it’s probably about the same as a Mustang, I would guess between 12-20 mpg.
    • What is wrong with the car? What work does it need? There are a couple chips in a windshield. The A/C is not connected. The left rear and front right tires lose a little air and need filling every few weeks. The tach is not calibrated correctly. It needs either an aftermarket tach or a tach adapter from Dakota Digital (available from Summit racing).
    • How much power does it have? Well, it is certainly worlds better than the BMW 6-cylinder. It has plenty of power to break the tires loose. The bolt-ons help. Don’t get me wrong, it has tons of power, but to really make this beast scream, I’d bolt on a set of aluminum heads and put a camshaft in it. Then, you’d have more power than you could need.
    • How high are the RPMs on the Highway? The T5 transmission has a top gear ratio of .68 and the rear ratio is 3.90 or 3.91 (I can’t remember exactly). I don’t know exactly what the RPMS are but you could figure it out using an online calculator.
    • Could the car make a drive XXXX miles long? I’m not sure. I don’t see why not, but it has only been driven around town.

Why I am selling it:
    I had a lot of fun with the project, but my life is now filled with other priorities, soccer games, shuttling kids to/from school, etc. I don’t have much time to enjoy this car anymore, and so it sits in the carport. So I’ve decided it’s time to sell it. As you can see from the video I posted above, my 4 year old son is pretty much my shadow and is right by my side all the time. So my priorities and time restraints don’t leave much time for car projects anymore. So I’m ready for someone else to enjoy this beast!

Contact info:
    Matt65stang@hotmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 65Matt; 11-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    beautiful car. Only if you were in San Diego i would take it in a heart beat.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Argh... would be interested but I have emissions. That swap on an OBD2 car would be hard to get through me thinks. GLWS.

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    Sweet! I love V8 Mustangs & BMWs! :-)

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Anyone want to trade? I could trade for a E36/E46, 4 door, automatic - something that my wife could drive. A E36 convertible would work.

I don't have cash to trade up, so it would need to be an even trade or a less expensive trade + cash.

PM me or email me if interested. Thanks!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i saloon
    seems to fit better than an LS1... i have thought about getting a 5.0l mustang as drift car instead of my 328i/m3, this would solve that!

shame you aren't closer, may be able to work something out!!!

My Cars
    hunting for the next
    Wow, your car made it on Jalopnik

http://jalopnik.com/5667308/for-9000...-light-sleeper

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Bumpity - Price lowered, willing to entertain trades or offers. Thanks!
    Last edited by 65Matt; 11-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    bump. glws
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    As said I wish it was a 95... 96 makes it a bit tough for me.

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Last chance? Listed on ebay now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250737072562

Bimmerforums Insider's secret: I have lowered the reserve price to $5,000 to get this thing moved. Thanks!

edit: Ebay item #250737072562 if the link doesnt work
    Last edited by 65Matt; 12-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Damn... I would buy it for that... if it was a 1995

My Cars
    e36m3<3 & a e30
    columbus Georgia eh? how old are you? how have i never seen this car before. my dad lives in cataula

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Pending divorce forces sale! Reserve lowered to $4,000!

Edit: relisted on 12/14
    Item #250742950435
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250742950435
    Last edited by 65Matt; 12-14-2010 at 03:31 PM.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8 Dinan
    Still available or ?
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Dinan Supercharged

Went down the rabbit hole with Alfas for a few years...
    Prior BMWs: '70 2002, 82 323i Euro, 92 325is, 99 540i/6 Dinan, 00 540i Wagon, 2008 335i vert N54

My Cars
    N/A
    94 318is with cash on my end?

My Cars
    o6 matrix , 85 eldorado
    is this beast still available?

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Yes, available, 18 hours left!

(Link is not working)

Ebay item 250742950435

My Cars
    98 Mustang GT
    Trade for a '95 325is + 91 Civic Si? xD (Both are my girlfriend's cars and she'd probably kill me if she saw this.)

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Sorry man, divorce=need cash

My Cars
    E36
    Is car still available?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by GotCone? View Post
    I love the writing style. What's this site about...they pick an unusual car for sale nationwide and then write about it?

GL with the car by the way.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by ekan325 View Post
    Is car still available?
    Yes or No???????

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Yea, the ebay auction went for $4,000 even and the people came to pick it up. I'm going through a divorce so I was just glad to get it gone. Thanks!

My Cars
    E92 N54
    if only it were a bmw V8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast