Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynavin E39 Info thread

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70

DYNAVIN E39 Info thread......look here first.....

In the interest of keeping things clean and informative on the forum and at the request of other board members, I am going to post this as a separate thread. The other threads seem to keep turning into a mess......so please keep this thread strictly Dynavin and try to keep it informative, Q & A stuff....try to leave opinions and speculation out of it, there are already 100 other pages of that. Thank you in advance.

As promised, here are some pics from my early Dynavin test install. This install was very easy, but the car was a non dsp, non nav, business head unit.

For cars with DSP, check out this thread here for the DSP workaround: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1553862

please excuse the fingerprints......

First off, Im not interested in getting into the debate between the Dynavin and Hualingan fans. Ill post my experience and ill let you guys debate the relative merits of each on the other threads.

Overall my impressions are very positive. Compared to the E46 units that I am familiar with as a user and a dealer, the E39 is not as as attractive to look at but the overall impression is one of a higher quality, the buttons are spot on OEM perfect in appearance and function, same with the knobs, very OEM, I agree that the proportions are a little odd when looking at the unit by itself but when installed in the dash it tends to blend in (and thats the point, isnt it?) As has been pointed out before the lower and smaller screen was required in order to make the Dynavin fit without modification or cutting, that is made very clear in the first pic.

I like that there are dedicated buttons for many of the functions, station presets, phone functions, etc... (something that is lacking on the E46 units).
    The steering wheel controls work fine, same as on the E46. The E39 unit also uses a matte finish screen which is a nice upgrade over the mirror like finish screen that the current E46 units have. Because of the screen and the downward angle that the screen is placed at I dont think screen glare will be a problem on this unit. Sound quality was good, same or better than stock, no unusual noise or any other issues.

This is the first unit built on Dynavin's new platform and I expect we will soon begin to see this new platform in the other units as well. It is a nice OEM styled upgrade over the older platform units. Everything worked fine but there is a little room for improvement with the ipod interface, its works okay but I think that relocating a button or two and changing a menu a little here and there would make it excellent and much more usable while driving. A firmware update is available to add steering wheel control for ipod navigation. (on a related note, firmware updates are VERY simple, the files can be emailed, saved onto a USB, you just need to plug it in, wait a couple minutes, and its done) Ipod Video has been removed from the ipod interface on the new platform (it didnt work on the old one) so to watch video off an ipod you would need to hook it up to the AUX IN using an ipod video cord.

Dynavin has now moved the TV tuner outside of the main unit. There is now a large plug on the back that will support a special Digital TV tuner. Dynavin tells me that the tuner will be controlled by the touchscreen so when installed should be fairly seamless. These tuners will be made for different TV markets so if you want TV on your dynavin you can order the correct tuner for your country. These tuners are not in production yet, I am told to expect them around the end of the year.

Just as it is on the E46, I think the bluetooth audio streaming is a great feature, and the streaming sound quality is significantly improved on the new platform, the quality is now good enough for music as well as talk. It works great with my iphone. I didnt get a chance to personally use the bluetooth phone but I did pair it with the customers iphone, paired no problem. He then had to do a 30 minute business call while he was still at my shop, he used the bluetooth and didn't complain when he was done, so ill take that as positive news.

The Nav program is the standard igo8 setup that everyone seems to be using. Its solid and also VERY flexible, easy to modify and customize.

USB is fine but only reads 2 file layers so you can navigate albums and songs, works well enough but was a little slow to load my 16gb usb drive but not too bad...maybe 30 seconds to load the entire drive. Faster on smaller drives. DVD/CD player works fine and reads MP3 discs so you can use that for compressed media as well. Radio is....well a radio, works fine.

E53 X5

The following is the install done by fellow forum member "sinboo50" in his X5, he took some great pics so I reposted here, thanks Bruce!

Here are a few pics from my X5 install along with a few early impressions. Since I belong to a rare species that has attempted installs of both the Dynavin and the Hualingan units I will give my brief opinion of the two. I will leave it for you to decide if you want the OEM look vs. the larger screen since that is well documented elsewhere.

• Install in X5 - No Contest, Dynavin - Plug and Play, no sawing the X5 bracket. Jeff is right about taking your time to make sure everything is tucked under the unit, then it snaps right into place. I found it was helpful to tape up all loose/unused wires to make it easier to relocate them. It makes life easier if you drop the glove box. A short USB(s) extension will drop down into you glove box for easy future access. This is an hour or less install if you have my setup.
    • Sound Quality compared to Non-DSP OEM - Better for Dynavin - (I can't comment on the reported better Hualingan sound since my sound never worked)
    • Phonebook - Wish the Dynavin had Contact Names instead of just numbers.
    • I prefer the Dynavin UI - Especially the SD/Music interface.
    • The Dynavin seems a bit quicker to me.

Now for the pics... I did not take the install pics since Jeff's documentation takes care of that. I am looking forward to playing around with the unit now and plan to add the wifi hack to us with mifi on my Nexus One via 3g.

Cheers,

Bruce

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jeffb325; 11-05-2010 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    What is the current MSRP? Post it in your original post and I will delete my post. Thanks

PS - Glad to see ABBA on your IPod. The unit could use a little trim strip across the top portion. This would improve appearance by getting rid of the high forehead look.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    What is the current MSRP? Post it in your original post and I will delete my post. Thanks

PS - Glad to see ABBA on your IPod. The unit could use a little trim strip across the top portion. This would improve appearance by getting rid of the high forehead look.

Im not a sponsor of this forum yet and its against the rules for non sponsors to do commercial posts so my post is for informational purposes only.....so I will just tell you that the MSRP should be the same as all of Dynavin's other stuff.

The ABBA is on my customers ipod, along with a lot of Indian music....Interesting and eclectic guy.

Edit...
    Last edited by jeffb325; 09-14-2010 at 12:32 AM.

My Cars
    00 528ITA
    Of all the people that have purchased these I don't understand why at least one person can't say what they paid for it.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Well.... The dynavin isnt out yet for one thing...so nobody has bought one yet at the regular retail level.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Jeff, I have a 99' 528iT with Nav but non DSP. I know nothing about this stuff. Would this unit work in my car? Also, I would eventually like to switch out all the speakers in my car including teh small factory sub for something cleaner, I would also go with aftermarkets amps at that time. I have to assume this unit is set up to handle that as well, right?

Thanks,

Tom

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    If you went all aftermarket you would have no problem, the dynavin has a full set of rca outputs for amps, integrating with the factory stuff is being discussed on the other thread right now, keep an eye on it as the different wiring configurations are getting sorted out as we speak....

My Cars
    '98 528i, '00 M5
    Thanks for the thread.

Is there a 3D view in the map software? The one pictured looks like it would be hard to navigate from. I guess its zoomed way out, yes?

Also, what about auto dimming? Im very annoyed that my factory M5 nav doesnt auto dim.

Finally, how is the unit attached to the dash? The pics show your trim still on with the radio out. Was that just a glam shot?

Last edited by Flybot; 09-13-2010 at 09:16 PM.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
    Thanks for the thread.

Is there a 3D view in the map software? The one pictured looks like it would be hard to navigate from. I guess its zoomed way out, yes?

Also, what about auto dimming? Im very annoyed that my factory M5 nav doesnt auto dim.

Finally, how is the unit attached to the dash? The pics show your trim still on with the radio out. Was that just a glam shot?

yes, the nav is way zoomed out and yes there is a 3D view, go to the link in my sig and look around for a bit for extensive pics of various igo screens on various igo versions. At this point it does not auto-dim although that is something I have brought up with Dynavin and that may change, the nav screen does automatically change to "night mode" however , and the brightness control is very easy to access by pressing the volume knob.

No need to pull the trim. I was able pop the flip down door off without pulling the trim and without breaking anything. Since the dynavin uses the factory bracket it was pretty much a simple matter of pulling the old unit out, plugging everything in, and sliding the new unit into place. The Dynavin has a couple of spring loaded retainers that hold it into the factory bracket and comes with a couple tools to release the retainers (note the slots on each side of the screen)
    Last edited by jeffb325; 09-13-2010 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M

Dynavin e39

Jeff, thanks for great info. Please keep us posted as you learn more. If the unit is Plug&Play (or requiring minimal mods) compatible with the factory equiped NAV and DSP models, I am definitely in.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 2K M5
    ^^^This x 1000

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Keep an eye on the other thread as the Dynavin and the Haulingan are pretty much the same from a wiring point of view...so the dsp work arounds that are being worked through there right now will apply here as well. Understand that the compatibility issues are more about making the dsp system accept and operate with a non bmw head unit than making the aftermarket head unit compatible with the dsp (which is likely impossible)
    Last edited by jeffb325; 09-14-2010 at 12:34 AM.

My Cars
    1999 540IA sport..
    i'm for one that's not worry about the factory system set up.i have aftermarket amp's and head unit installed already my question is how are the rca's set up front, rear, sub and if you no how many volt's they put out.thank's.
    Last edited by CR1777; 09-14-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    1999 540IA sport.Dinan stage 2 chip,Dinan cold air intake,Dinan tranny software,Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition coil's.Deleted the res straight pipe to magnaflow muffler,MTEC Bumper's.

My Cars
    1997 740i, 2005 325iA-4
    I just realized you were in fresno, I would love to see this thing in person.

hit me up and we can set up a meet hopefully

Chris

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by lambopilot View Post
    I just realized you were in fresno, I would love to see this thing in person.

hit me up and we can set up a meet hopefully

Chris
    You can come by my work and see a dynavin in person if you like, it would be an E46 unit but you will get the idea, the E39 unit is now happily roaming around San Jose in a test car....PM me for my address or you can find all my contact info on the e46fanatics forum.
    Last edited by jeffb325; 09-14-2010 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    I talked to Dynavin about their production schedule on the E39s. They are producing E46 units right now, then they have the Chinese "National Holiday" the first week of October. Then they are going to work on the E39 units when they get back, so they told me a few more weeks until regular production. The test units are all out and installed now and everyone (including Dynavin) is working on figuring out the easiest work around for the DSP so hang in there guys, we are almost there.

Oh and because some of you guys have asked....there are install pics of an X5 on Dynavin's website here: http://www.dynavin.com/download/installation_e53.php
    Last edited by jeffb325; 09-17-2010 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    A bit of previously unknown information here:

http://www.dynavin.com.tw/news.php?news_id=18
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    E39 2001 525i a
    is there any pics of this "evolve" unit, info, and etc? A short google search brings up nothing. As soon as im almost making up my mind a new unit hits the scene.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatoman View Post
    is there any pics of this "evolve" unit, info, and etc? A short google search brings up nothing. As soon as im almost making up my mind a new unit hits the scene.
    please keep the speculation in the other thread, at the request of other forum members I created this thread for clear factual dynavin info.

the rest of us deleted or moved our posts to the other thread.

thanks.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i/ Manual
    No AUX input?

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    It has a regular audio/video aux in, rca plugs on the back, see the link in my sig for extensive info (its the older e46 unit, but most of it still applies)

My Cars
    1999 540IA sport..
    can you take a pic of the rca's close up with the name of each one so we can read them.
    1999 540IA sport.Dinan stage 2 chip,Dinan cold air intake,Dinan tranny software,Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition coil's.Deleted the res straight pipe to magnaflow muffler,MTEC Bumper's.

My Cars
    E46 E92 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by CR1777 View Post
    can you take a pic of the rca's close up with the name of each one so we can read them.

scroll to the bottom

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e39.php

My Cars
    1999 540IA sport..
    cool im going to have to put a splitter for the subs..thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 2K M5
    What's the status on these? Been waiting forever to place my order.

Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast