Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DICE MediaBridge MB-1500 Help in E36

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral

Question DICE MediaBridge MB-1500 Help in E36

Ok I have been doing tons of research and it seems like I am on my own with this issue.

I installed a mediabridge yesterday and the install was quite simple. When I went to test it out of course it didn't work. I unplugged the module and tried again and surely enough it worked. The one thing I noticed is that All I could see on my C43 was the words CD 1-01 and navigation through the menus was by using the track fwd/back buttons was only possible by hearing what was said through the speakers.

I turn the car off walk out and then come back in, and surely enough it doesn't work again. The only way I can make the MediaBridge work is by manually disconnecting it from my glovebox and reconnecting it after 5 seconds everytime I get into my car.

The manual says that it's compatible with all 3-Series from 96-05 but I am so lost at this point

Any Help?
    Last edited by Simmadown115; 09-05-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    97 M3/4/5 ArticSi/Black-Gone
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    99 M3/2/5 Estoril/Dove-Gone
    99 328is->M3 Steel Blue/Dove-Gone
    07 E92 328xi 6MT Black/Coral Red -Totalled
    14 335i Xdrive Estoril/Black M-Sport M-Performance - Wife
    15 M3 Silverstone/Black DCT- Toy
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    1998 m3/4/5
    Ever find a solution?

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    To make the text work, I had to install a CD43 into my car.

Called DICE and they are trying to see if replacing the module will work but they sent me the wrong one, and that one acted similarly.

Now with the CD43, I have to disconnect the module before I turn the car on. It won't recognize it if I unplug it and reconnect it while the car is on. Plus the BT phone calls are horrible with the CD43. They were crystal clear on the C43.

Still troubleshooting if anyone has any ideas...
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    97' Z3 & 99' M Roadster

Mediabridge compatability problems with CD43

I had the same type of problem with the mediabridge. I purchased two of them. One for a 99' M Roadster and the other for a 97' Z3. First, I upgraded both cars to a CD43 because I still wanted the ability to play CDs. I made sure the mediabridge firmware was up to date. The mediabridges did not work well. I had to disconnect and reconnect the main mediabridge harness in order to get the mediabridge to be recognized. They would then function until I turned the car off and on. The mediabridges would not be recognized when I turned the car on again until I disconnected and reconnected the harness (sometimes it took several tries). I tried the original head units (C43 and C33) and had the same problems. Dice sent me exchange mediabridge units and harnesses, but I had the same problems with the replacement mediabridges. I finally gave up and returned all of the mediabridges. I think there are compatibility problems with the mediabridge product and 97' Z3 and 99' M Roadster with OEM BMW CD43 head units (as well as C43 and C33). After giving up with the mediabridge, I purchased a Kenwood X994 head unit for the Z3 and still have not decided what to do with the M-Roadster. The Kenwood unit works great, but I would have preferred for the mediabridge to work with the OEM CD43 unit. Until a solution is found, I would not recommend wasting time with the mediabridge if you own a 97-99 Z3 or M-Roadster with a CD43, C43 or C33. I have reported all of this to DICE, but besides trying a replacement mediabridge and harness, I did not receive any other potential solution from them.

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    That's great to hear, I thought I was the only one. Now I can make a case to DICE. I think a solution I am going to try soon is replacing the +12 hot wire on the mediabridge plug with one that trips with the acc switch. Email me with your situation so I can forward it to dice with mine.
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    97' Z3 & 99' M Roadster

Waiting on potential solution for mediabridge to work with CD43

Before I sent the mediabridges back, I reconnected the CD changer in the trunk (of each car) to make sure all wires were still in good shape. That only takes a few seconds if you do not bolt back the changer to the body of the car. The power and CD changer cables were still working perfectly. I turned the car on and off several times and did not have any lack of power or recognition issues with the CD changer. That confirmed the power/lack of mediabridge recognition was not being caused by faulty BMW cables.

At this time, I am not trying out anything else for the M-Roadster. I am just waiting to see if DICE reports a firmware or other solution and looking at some aftermarket head units. I do not think we are alone in having these types of issues. I asked about an individual in Australia (I had read his post) having similar issues and a DICE Rep. confirmed that an Australian individual had similar problems. I wonder if anyone has gotten the mediabridge to work with a CD43 in a 96-99' BMW. If so, it would be great to have a post if anything special was or was not done to get the mediabridge to work consistently with a CD43. I would love to use a CD43 with a mediabridge in the 99' M-Roadster. Please let me know if you resolve the issues you are having with the mediabridge not working with a CD43.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    It seems as if a lot of users are having issues with the E36/Z3 C33/CD43. The product does work and we have seen them working. I assume these are all US market cars. When did you order the products? There was some first run issues which are now fixed.

My Cars
    97' Z3 & 99' M Roadster

Will switched power source solve the mediabridge problems?

I got two mediabridges in Oct. 2010. I thought it could be that I received units with some bug from an early batch. Then, DICE sent me the latest units as replacements to try when I told them about the problems. In all cases, I made sure the firmware was up to date. Hence, I don't think these problems were caused by early mediabridge batches. The common problems (with the mediabridge only being recognized and functioning sometimes) have been in cars where the power cable to the CD changer (used to power the mediabridge) is always hot. I have seen post by car owners in Australia and the US that have reported these problems. Are the CD-changer power wires hot all the time in later BMW models (past 99')? Has anyone tried the idea posted by Simmadown115 to power the mediabridge directly to a wire that is not always hot, but instead linked to the acc switch?

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    I am on the same boat as motcu. The support tech I spoke to at DICE told me that they test these with newer BMW's and test bluetooth options with iPhones. I also may have noticed something new today driving:

I noticed that after a while of not changing anything on the radio or even the first time I turn the car on, I have to press the buttons twice on my steering wheel to change stations or adjust volume. After I press it twice, i can continue using it by hitting the buttons once. This is only when I am connected to the radio and not the Mediabridge.

I am guessing that the Ibus on the E36 has a timeout. Once nothing has been pressed for a while it timeouts and sleeps. I'm guessing this affects the Mediabridge as once the iBus times out it breaks the connection with the Mediabridge causing it not to load correctly once the car turns on again and wakes the iBus. By unplugging it and plugging it back it we are waking the iBus and it syncs together with the system to be recognized.

Am I onto something??????
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    2002 BMW M-Coupe

MediaBridge problems with 2002 M-coupe

I'm going through the same thing installing a MediaBridge into a 2002 M-Coupe (I believe the radio is a CD-43). The only way I can get the thing to work is to plug and unplug the harness. And even when it's working, I have to press the buttons twice to do anything: the first time to change the display back to "CD 1-01", and then quickly again to achieve the desired function before the display switches back again.

I also have to lower the gain each time to -10 to keep the audio from distorting. And I hadn't realized that the bluetooth integration with my phone won't work if I'm listening to a CD or the radio - only the iPod.

I think it's time to get my money back, does anyone have a recommendation for a new head unit that has iPod and bluetooth integration built in?

My Cars
    97' Z3 & 99' M Roadster

NON OEM Head unit

I installed a Kenwood X994 and the features on it all work well. I purchased a Kenwood adapter that allowed me to use the Sirius unit I had purchased to connect with the mediabridge. The Kenwood unit has all the features I would have had in the mediabridge and also allows you to change the display colors and the available orange is a close (but not perfect) match to the other BMW displays in my 97' Z3. Although I am very happy with this Kenwood unit, it would have been nice if the mediabridge would have worked with the OEM CD 43.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M-Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by motcu View Post
    I installed a Kenwood X994 and the features on it all work well. I purchased a Kenwood adapter that allowed me to use the Sirius unit I had purchased to connect with the mediabridge. The Kenwood unit has all the features I would have had in the mediabridge and also allows you to change the display colors and the available orange is a close (but not perfect) match to the other BMW displays in my 97' Z3. Although I am very happy with this Kenwood unit, it would have been nice if the mediabridge would have worked with the OEM CD 43.
    How easy was installation? Does it require splicing a lot of wires? How does the new unit fit?

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    I actually use an X493 in my E30. I love it. Didn't realize their new model allowed color change. Would be nice. Does it have the front USB/AUX?

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    pmt,

How are you reducing the gain on your CD43 or Mediabridge? My bluetooth call volume is beyond distorted and I need to find a way to turn it down after my phone. The mediabridge won't respond to my adjustments from the phone.
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    97' Z3 & 99' M Roadster

X994 is an easy install

The install for the Kenwood KDC-X994 was easy because I got the BMW wire harness with it. That was a $20 item that Crutchfield provides for free. Free is a relative term because I could have purchased the unit a little cheaper from some other provider, but then the splicing needed (or making sure I had the correct harness) could have been a pain. The fit is perfect. The Kenwood adapter box needed if you also want to add Sirius cost me $29.99. I hid this below the head unit. The X994 unit has a USB connection coming from the back of the unit as well as an aux (the latter can be activated or deactivated from the menu structure). I used an USB extender cable to run it to the middle console. I have used the USB connection with my iphone (with standard iphone cable connected to USB) and also with just a thumb drive. I also ran an aux cable to the same location in case I ever wanted to use it. It tested well. However, I mostly use the bluetooth which sounds great without plugging anything in. In any case, all is integrated nicely with the phone and turns off the music (from radio, sirius, i-phone, CD etc.) automatically when using the phone.

My Cars
    M3
    Simmadown115 I didn't want to thread jack... I think I found a solution to this problem and posted my results here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post20853530

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    If anyone subscribed is looking for a solution to unplugging and plugging back in, PM me and I'll tell you.
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    There's a new update available for the Mediabridge, FW 3605. If someone can test that and let me know if it works as my solution worked fine for me as of now.
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    Update your firmware again by plugging it into your computer and running the software. It's not on their site that there's a new release but I was told by a dice tech to do so. See if it fixes the issue.
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    So has the firmware fixed it? I can't figure out how tell what firmware version mine is. I'm guessing it displays on the radio with a CD43 but I have a C43.

I also can't download firmware yet. I tried to register the unit on Dice's website but their registration page only goes up to 2010. I emailed them and haven't gotten an answer yet. Does anyone have the firmware they can send me?

Thanks

I went ahead and registered as 2010 and ran the firmware updater. I have 3605 which it says is the latest..
    Last edited by ryanhoelzer; 02-06-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    3605 must be the latest as that's what Adam(their tech) told me... if it didn't fix it I have a temporary solution until they smarten up on how to fix this... Now my bluetooth volume isn't too loud on my CD43 also... only issue left for me is the song titles on my android phone not updated after every song. PM if your interested for the solution if your tech savy and willing to go hands on into this.
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    I swear I'm pretty tech savvy but I sure can't figure out how to PM on here...

My Cars
    '07 E92 328xi BSM/Coral
    You don't have enough posts to PM, thats why you can't yet Email me if you'd like at Simmadown115 @ comcast . net
    93 318i Black/Black-Gone
    97 528i Black/Tan-Gone
    06 IS250 -Rain/Snow

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast