Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have "Reifenkontr Inaktive" on my instrument cluster, whats it mean?

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,

I have "Reifenkontr Inaktive" on my instrument cluster, whats it mean?

It showed up on my instrument cluster and I cant use my Trip Computer or anything on the instrument cluster message board, whats it mean?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Sport

Re: E38 error RDC "tire control inactive or Reifenkontr Inaktive"

Hello
    The garage has detected the error, it was a faulty wheel electronics in the rear left wheel. The error is corrected.
    Umm as for looking in some forums its like narrowed down to something to do with RDC Sensor and tires. But everything is in German so its hard to translate it accurate. But looks like some kinda sensor to the wheels is faulty.
    Last edited by m3studio; 09-02-2010 at 12:52 AM.

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,
    Quote Originally Posted by m3studio View Post
    Umm as for looking in some forums its like narrowed down to something to do with RDC Sensor and tires. But everything is in German so its hard to translate it accurate. But looks like some kinda sensor to the wheels is faulty.
    so, that would show up in german and block my whole message board?

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Yes one of the batteries in the RDC sensors are gone, try resetting it and hope it stays off

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin NL View Post
    Yes one of the batteries in the RDC sensors are gone, try resetting it and hope it stays off
    where is the RDC and what batteries are they, why is it in german btw?

Xephius is offline 665 Neighbor of the Beast BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '00 740iL, 01 325xiT
    It is probably complaining about the sensor in one of the wheels. They send are located on the valve stem inside each wheel and cost about $150 each to replace. They don't have replaceable batteries that I know of.

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,
    Will this reset it?

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/129948

no it wont, i just tried
    Last edited by JaguarS4R; 09-02-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Only option is to replace or code off.

Try this ignition pos II hold the button till you see SET, then start the car and drive 10 miles minimum.

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,
    Only option is to replace or code off.

Try this ignition pos II hold the button till you see SET, then start the car and drive 10 miles minimum.
    replace what? Speed sensor? Why is it german and why cant I be able to get rid of it off my screen so I can see the trip computer, just always stays on

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Trip computer you can always see.

The sensors in the wheels need or could need replacing

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,
    Trip computer you can always see.

The sensors in the wheels need or could need replacing
    no I cant see the trip computer, as soon I turn the car on, it will say "PLEASE FASTEN SEATBELTS" in enlgish, as soon as I fasten seatbelts or either wait a little while, the "Reifenkontr Inaktive" in german will come on and STAY ON, I cant get to my trip computer

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Your millage, trip and outside temp are not part of the message cluster.........................

My Cars
    '00 740iL, 01 325xiT
    If you decide to remove/code it off, I would love to buy the parts from you (except the wheel sensors of course). I have the dash wood without the button I can swap out as well.

Edwin, if he doesn't have access to Progman, can he pull the module and get it to stop throwing the error? I assume so because mine doesn't need coding to add DWS.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Pic to clear up confusion?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The display on the instrument cluster is NOT your OBC display. The display for the OBC is the MID (multi-informational display)...or the Nav screen (if your car has that option).

The display on the isntrument cluster is the CCD (check control display) and the CHECK CONTROL SYSTEM has first dibs on that display. There are 2 types of warnings that can appear there...priority 1 and priority 2. If it is a priority 1 warning...it will take over the display and remain there as long as the ignition is on. If it is a priority 2 warning...you can press the LEFT button on the instrument cluster and clear it...but "STATUS ARROWS" will remain illuminated on the left & right to indicate that there is something you need to take care of.

The ability to "PROGRAM" the OBC features into the CCD is just a secondary benefit. If you loose power (dead or replace battery) you will have to reprogram any or all of the OBC features back into the instrument cluster. Or if a Check Control warning is eminent...it takes over the display (like FASTEN SEAT BELT, DOOR OPEN, TRUNK OPEN, LIGHTS ON, etc).

I don't know why the warning is in German, though. When the car defaults back to German, there's usually an issue like low car battery voltage or other electrical issues.

Again, if you want or need to use your OBC features...all you have to do is press the BC icon on the MID button (if that's what you have) or use your NAV screen monitor...all of the OBC features will still be available to use.

(this is an image of the e38 MID...to use the AUDIO/PHONE/TIME CLOCK/OBC...just press the appropriate button (on the far right), and the available features will appear in the display...along with the prompt for the feature above one of the 6 "soft key" buttons)

If you have the Nav monitor...then pull up and select the OnBoard Computer using the knobs/buttons for the Nav
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-02-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    97 BMW 750IL, 03 Cobra,
    Yes, it says it where the OBC is

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    What ever...................

My Cars
    01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Xephius View Post
    If you decide to remove/code it off, I would love to buy the parts from you (except the wheel sensors of course). I have the dash wood without the button I can swap out as well.

Edwin, if he doesn't have access to Progman, can he pull the module and get it to stop throwing the error? I assume so because mine doesn't need coding to add DWS.
    damn... beat me to it...
    WTB: Dinan Spring set, for the 750iL

You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon- mostly up hill. Then, after a while, people going down the other road look up at you, and they call you "lucky."

My Cars
    '00 740iL, 01 325xiT
    If I upgrade to the absolute system, I will pass my DWS system on to you!

My Cars
    07 Lariat, 06 mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin nl View Post
    what ever...................

1995 740iA. Dinan DME. Kenwood Exelon system. Kicker Competition subs. DSP bypass. Servotronic bypass. ASA JH9 18" Wheels. Cherry Bomb exhaust. Resonator delete. 99-01 Euro crystal tailights. Xenon angel eye headlights w/ mild facelift. Kidney grills.

My Cars
    01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Xephius View Post
    If I upgrade to the absolute system, I will pass my DWS system on to you!
    Already have DWS... want to upgrade to RDC

You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon- mostly up hill. Then, after a while, people going down the other road look up at you, and they call you "lucky."

My Cars
    07 Lariat, 06 mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstarmedia View Post
    Already have DWS... want to upgrade to RDC
    Excuse my ignorace, but what is DWS? RDC?? Only button my 7 had was for heated seats

1995 740iA. Dinan DME. Kenwood Exelon system. Kicker Competition subs. DSP bypass. Servotronic bypass. ASA JH9 18" Wheels. Cherry Bomb exhaust. Resonator delete. 99-01 Euro crystal tailights. Xenon angel eye headlights w/ mild facelift. Kidney grills.

My Cars
    01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by m60 makes it go View Post
    Excuse my ignorace, but what is DWS? RDC?? Only button my 7 had was for heated seats

They are the two tire pressure monitoring systems that BMW used.

DWS - Looks at the reluctor rings at each wheel that are used for abs and compares the speeds of each wheel. if one wheel is not moving at the same speed and you are not turning it means that the diameter has changed. diameter change = low tire pressure.

RDC - Uses a pressure and temp sensor in each wheel and an antenna in each wheel well to scene the actual pressure in each tire.

Each system has it's pluses and minuses.

The RDC system was mostly used on cars that came with run-flat tires. This is because when a run-flat is low it holds it's shape more and may not set off the tire defect warning in the DWS system.

The RDC is a much more accurate system but more complex. it comprises 4 sensors (one in each wheel) that contain a lithium battery that is not replaceable. they tend to last about 4-6 years and cost upwards of $100 each. there are also the 4 antennas, the brain, and the switch on the dash.

BMW much preferred the DWS system (likely due to cost and maintenance issues) and the RDC system seems to be a relative rarity.

The give away for RDC is the metal valve stems. You can have no/DWS with metal valve stems but if you have rubber valve stems you defiantly do not have RDC.

Richard

My Cars
    07 Lariat, 06 mustang GT
    thanks for the clarity, my 07 F-150 lariat has the sensors in the wheels, I hear it's expensive when it breaks...even on a ford

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 1951 VW
    What ever...................

Dear Edwin NL,

You have received a warning at Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum.

Reason:
    -------
    Useless or Off Topic Posts

-------

We don't do that here! Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast