Thread: Can You Determine The Age or Installation Date Of The OEM BMW Battery?

My Cars
    2001 330i

Question Can You Determine The Age or Installation Date Of The OEM BMW Battery?

Are there any markings anywhere on the OEM BMW Battery to let us know the make date or installation date?

I think the OEM BMW Battery in my car has been there since the car left the factory in Germany back in August 2001.

But I'm not sure because I never heard of any OEM car Battery lasting more than 5 or 6 years.

When I bought the car in September 2008 the original owner before me had only driven it 37,000 miles in a period of 7 years.

Even though the car was pristine and well maintained would there be the slightest of chances that he replaced the battery during that time of 7 years with another OEM battery.

Are there any markings anywhere on the OEM BMW Battery to let us know the make date or installation date?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Naa....mine lasted 9 years in my RIP TiAg 325i.

I would say very few people buy oem battery after original one quits.

The battery did crap out in my 2004 zhp about a month ago....
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-28-2010 at 10:55 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    E46M
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    The battery did crap out in my 2004 zhp about a month ago....
    That's what you get for buying a ZHP.

My Cars
    2000 328i, 65 Stang
    Can't say for sure on OME batteries, but I'm running a 6/03 Interstate battery on a car that does sit for months at times, starts every time, even today, after priming the oil pump, and trying trying get the dizzy and timing right till it did finally start. Bottom line, who cares, if it starts, great, unless I'm missing what your issue is.
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 320i
    Yeah I just took out the original after 7 years. Dealership told me it was "a little weak" so I just replaced it.

My Cars
    German Civic
    Climate is a big factor. My 323i (FL car from day one) had started on battery number three by the time it was 7 years old. My 330i (from a cooler climate) will be six years old in October and is still on the factory original.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i E93
    Quote Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
    Climate is a big factor. My 323i (FL car from day one) had started on battery number three by the time it was 7 years old. My 330i (from a cooler climate) will be six years old in October and is still on the factory original.
    Yes, climate is a big factor (in Nevada, it is routine to change batteries every three years or so, I hear). But [I'm in Miami], my original OEM battery is still going strong since Nov. 2004 (date of build) - I took delivery of the car Dec 2004. Longest lasting battery I have ever had! I am sure that part of it is also 'luck of the draw', with some batteries lasting longer than other similar ones.
    When I don't use the car for a longer period, I 'trickle charge' the battery.

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    delmarco,

If you go to a indy shop, they have a battery tester where they can determine the remaining life on your OEM or other battery.

Mine lasted 6 years

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    2006 330i
    OEM BMW batteries have a date code stamped on top of the negative terminal in XX/XX (week/year) format.
    eg: 25/02 = 25th week of 2002.

if your battery does not have it there, it may have been produced before BMW started stamping the codes on the neg. terminal so check the sides for the date code punched in the plastic case.

here is a pic with the date code stamped on top of the neg. terminal

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335I
    yes there is, look at the top of the negative battery post and there should be number stamped in it, if you can post a pic of your battery i can tell you. if i rememmber that the top number is month and bottom is year, but post a pic and can deffently tell you.

Mods - AFE Stage 2 Pro dry S intake, BMW black Grills, Burger Tuning LED angel eyes

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Thanks guys.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    2003 745li
    Quote Originally Posted by WoLF View Post
    OEM BMW batteries have a date code stamped on top of the negative terminal in XX/XX (week/year) format.
    eg: 25/02 = 25th week of 2002.

if your battery does not have it there, it may have been produced before BMW started stamping the codes on the neg. terminal so check the sides for the date code punched in the plastic case.

here is a pic with the date code stamped on top of the neg. terminal

Mine is stamped on the side. Battery has to come out of a 7 series. Be very careful if you have a 7.

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    What difference does it make? You did not buy the battery, so there is not warranty on it. Test it along with your charging system. If it's bad replace it. If you just have no idea when it was replaced, then replace it.

With that low miles on the car, it is unlikely that is the original battery, unless a tender was used. That said, you never know. Sometimes batteries do not care about rhyme or reason when they decide to last or not last.
    IF MY CAPS OFFEND YOU, BLOCK ME.
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    2001 330ci
    my 97 328i that i just traded in yesterday was still on its original battery - roughly 14 years, and my car would start up everytime...AND i live in chicago! these batteries are pretty good in my experience. my alternator went out before the battery lol