BMW of Bloomfield
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1992 525iT LS1 Swapped

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 is, 97 D1

1992 525iT LS1 Swapped

SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!

/* Keeping this up for record
    As with everything I build it’s time to let go of the LS1 Touring. I built this car for my wife and daughter over the course of 13 months and really hate to see it go but as my daughter becomes more mobile we’re looking for something we can take camping. I want to be ready to buy when the perfect X5 pops up so the wagon has to go up for sale now.

The car had 160,702 miles on it when I did the swap, the engine had 61,000 miles on it when the Camaro donor was totaled and I’ve since put about 28,000 trouble free miles on the car. It runs and drives perfectly, laid down 23-25mpg on a recent road trip running 75-80mph with all the windows down and it just cruises like a dream. Factory rated at 345hp with the extra mods you're looking at nearly 400hp worth of American Muscle in an understated German family stationwagon.

The basic rundown of the swap:
    • 1998 LS1 from a wrecked Camaro
    • 4L60E Automatic Transmission
    • Late LS6 camshaft
    • LS2 Valvesprings
    • LS2 HD Timing Chain
    • ARP Rod Bolts (standard upgrade for ’98 motors)
    • Lakewood Muscle Car Motor Mounts
    • Custom motor mount to block adapter plates
    • Custom motor mount brackets
    • Custom trans mounts
    • Custom double 1” core all aluminum Northern muscle car radiator with built in trans cooler
    • Northern/Spal dual fans and shroud
    • Custom stainless/Samco radiator hoses
    • Rack and Pinion steering conversion (VW rack, Earls fittings and line, PermaCool fluid cooler, custom U-Joints and column support)
    • Flash tuned PCM
    • 3.23 LSD diff
    • Functional cruise control
    Details:
    • Exterior: The clearcoat has seen better days so the paint isn’t perfect but the sheet metal is all straight and dent free and it’s 100% rust free. It has Depo euro headlights and one high and one low is cracked. HIDs using Audi A6 ballasts and eBay capsules. It also has clear top tails although there are a couple cracks in the lower sections. I’m having a new windshield put in this week. The wheels are 17” Borbet Es all with some degree of clearcoat issues or curbing. Rear tires are less than 2 months old. Fronts are about 50%. I also have the stock 15” bottle caps with flaking chrome and decent tires that I can include if you want to put snows on them.

• Interior: The front door cards were junk when I got it as it very common in these cars. I’ve installed wood trimmed front door cards but haven’t looked for rear cards to match. The headliner was junk when I got the car so I redid it. I let my 2yo pick out the material so it’s a pretty cool butterfly print. If you don’t like it it only takes a couple hours with some material, a razor and some spray glue to redo it. The stereo a Kenwood deck with an integrated ipod adapter.

• Swap: I take pride in my work. The swap is among the cleanest you’ll find. All the wiring is as stock. There is a fuse block and a set of relays in the box at the passenger rear of the engine compartment and everything that isn’t factory to either the motor or the car is hidden. The only error I ever see on the OBC is the LBF indicator for the HIDs which is an easy fix that I haven’t had time to do. The fans are controlled by the PCM through the factory relays, the wiring runs into the car through the factory plug, nothing half assed, all soldered and shrink wrapped connections. I built this car for my wife to drive and she has, without issue. I’ve opened the hood at shows and had people pass it over because they didn’t realize the engine wasn’t supposed to be there. It really needs a set of Corvette fuel rail covers to stand out.

• The motor mount brackets are made of A513 DOM tube, TIG welded, sandblasted then powder coated black. They were designed to be as structurally sound as possible and have been described as “tank parts”.

• The radiator is a modified double core all aluminum Northern unit. The fans are twin Spals mounted in a Northern louvered aluminum shroud. The radiator hoses are sanitary stainless (top) and aluminum (bottom) with black Samco connectors I had to have specially imported. All the hard tubes have been properly bead rolled and are assembled with new stainless clamps.

• The brake booster has been replaced with a smaller unit and the master cylinder has been replaced with an Audi unit with a slightly smaller bore to maintain pedal feel. The ABS system has been removed. The front and rear brakes have been replaced in the last eight months. New Brembo rotors, PBR pads all around and rebuilt calipers up front.

• The exhaust uses standard cast iron exhaust manifolds for reliability. ’02 Camaro passenger side and ’04 GTO drivers side. From there it runs through dual 2.5” downpipes, into a pair of Magnaflow 2.5” stainless cats, through an 18° merge and then it’s a single 3” back to a large Flowmaster muffler with a 3.5” single tip. All of the tubing is mandrel bend 304 sanitary stainless and TIG welded.

• The drivetrain uses a C3 Corvette front yoke, ’84 T-Bird driveshaft and JTR custom rear yoke. The U-Joints are heavy duty greasable units. The diff is a 3.23 LSD I had to build custom. 3.23 is the factory performance ratio for a Camaro.
    Incompletes:

• A/C: I didn’t get time to finish the air conditioning as the A/C compressor clutch died the day I had the A/C shop braze the switch port into the high pressure line. Everything is in place, the custom lines are laid out, I even had the switch port brazed into the line. It needs a new A/C compressor (available on eBay for $40). Once that’s in the lines need to be crimped and installed and the system needs to be charged and it’ll be done as well. The condenser is in place and it has a new filter/dryer. Everything is included to finish it right down to the seals, I just don’t have the time anymore.

• Tach: The tachometer works it just doesn’t read right. When I had the PCM flashed I forgot to tell the guy to change the tach output calibration. This takes about 15 seconds with EFI Live or HP Tuners, I just haven’t had time to take it to a shop. Alternatly you can rob some parts from a 4cyl E30 cluster and change the tach calibration manually (the LS1 outputs tach signal like a 4cyl).

• Check Engine light: Connected and works, but it’s on. When the tuner flashed the PCM I asked him to turn off the AIR and EGR codes but he didn’t. I’ve scanned it and these are the only codes that show up (a result of me deleting stuff on the engine). These can be shut off in EFI Live or HP Tuners as well and you won’t see the check engine light again.

• Airbag light: During the swap the battery was disconnected while the driver’s airbag was out so it has an SRS light that needs to be reset. All the airbag system stuff is in place, it’s just needs a reset.

• Hatch: I’ve replaced 30ft of wiring in the hatch but the glass pop typically doesn’t like to work, nor does the rear wiper. The wiring is all correct so it’s probably the trigger switch. When the pop does work the glass lift struts are shot. I just use the hatch. Probably a simple to fix but it hasn’t bothered me or my wife.
    Overall it’s been a great car and I’d hate to see it go but it’s not so good on forest service roads or in the mountain snow. The automatic comes in handy as a family car, the functional cruise control has been awesome for road trips, the power has surprised more than a few people as has the cleanliness of the swap. I just did the plugs, wires and oil change. It’s pretty typical condition for an E34 and the price I'm asking is less than what I paid for just the car and engine. Add in the cost of parts and you’re easily over $15,000 without labor.
    Lowered price - $7000 FIRM FIRM FIRM

More pics tonight when the wife gets home with the car. I've somehow lost most of my pics.

EDIT: Nearly forgot the car was featured in the T10/Forza Studio blog. Way more pics here including some build stuff. Note that it's on Bortbet Es now, not Style 19s: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/bl...ut-inside.aspx

Stolen pics:
    */
    Last edited by Euro Nation; 12-13-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    E36 M3, E36 332is Track Rat, Disco 1, Rabbit.

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    Simply amazing.. Very nice build. GLWS

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Very nice! GLWS

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    um wow

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    want

My Cars
    '14 435i/'02 C4S/'07 FJ
    W
    T
    F

Aaron, on one hand I can't believe you're selling this....but on the other hand I completely understand.

A big giant for Aaron. His builds are always quality and he doesn't take shortcuts folks. I've seen this in person, and hearing it??? Well, words can't quite describe the sweetness.

Good luck bro....

My Cars
    various
    too far (and wrong country) or it would be mine.

sweet setup and killer price for what you are getting

My Cars
    e34, e39
    tempting... a little too close to home...
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 is, 97 D1
    Thanks guys.

It probably isn't worth much but I should add that over the course of the build I had a lot of people interested in reproductions of the parts. Particularly engine/trans mounts and steering rack mounts. With the car you get full rights to these parts if you ever want to reproduce them.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Good Luck with the sale Aaron.

For what it's worth, I've known Aaron for just shy of 10 years and his daughter will be my flower girl when I get married on Saturday. I've seen the projects that he has produced over the years and I can honestly say that his builds are top of the line. Personally I would buy this car in a heartbeat if I wasn't paying my own tuition.

Someone buy this thing before I decide to get a loan!

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    very clean, very nice conversion, glws

My Cars
    '04 M3, '11 Cayenne S
    If only it were a manual trans. Awesome!

My Cars
    381 whp 93GS300 gte
    Quote Originally Posted by e36M3to996 View Post
    If only it were a manual trans. Awesome!
    That would just send me off the cliff this is a must have.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Very cool!!
    I'll bet you've surprised a few buys with this one.

GLWS

My Cars
    97 328is,94 530i,93 325i
    What a great price...you could easily ask 10 for this car
    E36 parts for sale...cheap! Click the link below!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1454653

My Cars
    Too Many
    Why are you on the west coast, great price on that car.
    Corey
    I like cars
    1985 Chevy C30 3+3 Dually
    1989 Mitsu Mirage Turbo Drag Car
    1992 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
    1996 Mitsu Eclipse GST-FS will trade for 540/6
    2005 Dodge Magnum Hemi RT AWD
    1999 BMW 528iT SOLD searching for M

DarkKnightM3 is offline rookie mistake Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    1991 535ia
    Quote Originally Posted by e34Croak View Post
    Simply amazing.. Very nice build. GLWS
    I bet you are kicking yourself for selling your touring as am I dan for not doing this project

My Cars
    2001 325i, 1987 325e
    Wow what a sleeper! I see you driving all the time on 132nd! Does your wife happen to work at Premera in Mountlake Terrace??

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 is, 97 D1
    Yep, we live on Cathcart Way (I usually see you when I'm in my black M3) and you've pinpointed my wife's work.

My Cars
    BMW Merc Audi
    Wow, that thing is amazingly awesome!!

Thats the last thing I need is another car, but damn. I may be intouch with you soon...if not GLWS, she is worth every penny of $8,500
    1991 BMW E30 M3 - red/blk - Mint - *BBS* - (The Queen)
    2000 BMW M Coupe - blk/red - lightly modded - (The Track Rat)
    2005 M.Benz E55 AMG - slvr/blk - *Kleemann* - 11.24 @ 121.3mph - (My Daily Driver)
    2005 M.Benz CL65 AMG - blk/blk - *RENNtech* - V12 Twin Turbo - 648rwhp, 736tq - (Stoopid Fast!)
    2007 Audi S8 - Daytona gray/blk - Lambo V10 - Lowered on Rotiform SNA- (Girly Friend's Daily)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant - white/blk - RS6 "look alike" - *GIAC* - BBS LM - (The Work Horse)

adriver is offline Why would I be sarcastic?
    My Cars
    slick 95 tourin s52/5spd
    Wow if only I could sell what I have and buy this. Dont think that will happen, hopefully second best, to the new owner; "Please sell me the kit so I can do this as well."
    I can't drive automatics.

My Cars
    1998 332ti
    i love e34 wagons. I also love ones with power.
    BUMP

"On your path to progress, I'll be the only thing standing in your way."

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 is, 97 D1
    Some shots of the car as of today (click on them). Ignore the mess and the white trash crap in the background, none of it is my place, it's just where I found to take the pics. I stole my wifes keys and shot the car complete with the baby seat, makeup bag, coffee cup, etc. I haven't swapped out the passenger door panel for the woodgrain one yet, that should happen this weekend.

Last edited by Euro Nation; 08-28-2010 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 is, 97 D1

My Cars
    LF Touring
    How I wish you were out east.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast