Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Definitive Guide to GT1 IBM T30 Native Install (also relevant for VMWare)

My Cars
    M3 CSL

A Definitive Guide to GT1 IBM T30 Native Install (also relevant for VMWare)

GT1 on IBM T30 Installation Guide

After many trials and errors and relying on Morroman’s GT1 Native Installation guide and bmwecu.org’s GT1 installation guide (on VMware for v39) and randomly succeeding twice with the install and then failing miserably to replicate the results subsequently for about two weeks I have finally figured it all out!!!
    The Morroman’s GT1 Native installation guide is good to an extent, but it was missing a lot of ‘key’ points and finer details that altered the success of the Native GT1 install on the IBM T30 (and a lot of the procedures is also relevant for vmware install – bar the S00poweroffd portion – this is not necessary under vmware)
    As a result, I have decided to share my installation procedure that improves on Morroman’s and bmwecu.org’s guides mentioned above. This method has been proven to work for me many many times over and over again: PLEASE FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER DON’T TAKE SHORT CUTS – IT WILL WORK 100% (REMEMBER THAT UNIX IS CASE AND SPACE SENSITIVE – TYPE EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED!!!)

So here it goes:
    !!!! Before you begin, make sure that your T30 only has 256MB RAMno more and no less (any more or any less can make the install buggy – i.e. sometimes it will work, sometimes it won’t ) !!!!
    1. Completely wipe the hard disk you are going to use – when I say wipe, I don’t mean just format it, I mean seriously find a program that wipes it clean (I used Hiren’s CD 10.6 – and Acronis Partition tool – delete all partitions and format the hard drive)
    2. Next you need to create a FAT32 partition that is EXACTLY 18.635 GB. This can be done in two ways:

Firstly, you can use a Win98 boot CD and the fdisk function to create it as per Morroman’s guide; however I find the next method to be LOADS MORE RELIABLE:

My method: Hook your hard drive onto your laptop via USB (there are cables out there that allow you to turn the hard drive into an external hdd) running windows XP or Vista (I’ve not tried it on another operating system)

Right Click on “My Computer Icon” and go into “Manage

This will bring up a “Computer Management Screen” – click on Disk Management on the left side column and go into it – you should see your cleanly wiped hard drive.

Right click on the hard drive and create a partition for 18.635 GB and format it into FAT32.

Once complete, remove your hard drive and put it in your IBM T30

3. Mount your DIS v1.1 installation disc in your CD ROM – turn on your computer and go into BIOS settings and change it to boot from the CD ROM. The computer will restart and boot the installation disc.

It will load for about twenty or so seconds and you’ll hit this screen

Type the following to force it to create 5 partitions required for DIS Base disc to mount properly:

sfdisk –f /dev/hda < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg

4. Eject the DIS installation v1.1 disc and put in your DIS Base disc version XX (I used v52 and have also succeeded with v39) At # type init 6 and press enter. It will reboot the system (if it doesn’t wait for it to stop and press [Ctrl][Alt]+[Delete] keys to restart the computer.

5. When the system restarts at the “_” screen (in the top left hand corner) press the [ENTER] key multiple times until you hear beeps [NOTE: This step is only necessary if you encounter installation errors because of incorrect hard disc geometry mentioned here]:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505397

This is the error you will get:

!!! Harddisk Partitioning failed !!!

installation aborted!!!
    check CD and DVD Drive !!!

If you receive the above, this is what you do next:

Push the [Delete] button to bring up a prompt # {NB. You MUST do 5 above otherwise pressing [delete] won’t do anything}

Type the following:

dparam /dev/rhd00

you will get a series of numbers like the following (eg only)

7752 240 0 655353 0 8 16383 63

What you want to do is change the first two sets and the last set of numbers so that your hard disc is given a geometry of cycl = 2432 hds = 255 and secs 63

So next type:

dparam –w /dev/rhd00

then type (if using the above set of numbers as an example)

dparam /dev/rhd00 2432 255 0 65535 0 8 16383 63

Turn off your laptop and turn it back on again. DIS Base v?? will now mount properly like Morroman’s guide (i.e. it will reboot about 3 times and have a 5 minute screen and then a further 12 minute screen)

6. You will then reach the “system halted” screen – eject the base disc and turn off your laptop.

7. Insert SCO Openserver 5.0.7 disc (can be found from SCO Openserver website) and turn on your laptop.
    8. Press [ENTER] at the “boot” prompt and [ENTER] again to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7.
    9. When you reach the keyboard setting screen switch to console 3 by pressing [Alt][F3] you will see the screen display <installation>

Next type exactly as I describe (this is to stop DIS turning itself off before you can calibrate it for country and enter details):

cd hdFS/etc/rc2.d/ {then press [ENTER] and type the next line}
    mv S00poweroffd .S00poweroffd {then [ENTER]}

now you want to remove SCO Openserver root password; still at the <installation> prompt type the following exactly

chroot /hdFS /bin/sh {then press [ENTER] type enter the next line}
    su – {then press [ENTER] then type the next line}
    passwd

you will then be asked to pick a new password – press 1 and enter your desired password (most people just use “password” just in case they forget) – you have to enter this TWICE.

Next type:

passwd dis {and press [ENTER]}
    enter the desired password as above by pressing 1

then type

passwd admin[just like above … so I won’t describe it again]

Once you’ve done that you will be given a # prompt (NOW at this point, all the other guides out there currently tell you to restart the system (be it vmware or native laptop install) – DON’T DO THIS – IT IS POINTELSS AND CAN SCREW UP YOUR INSTALL SO YOU WILL HAVE TO START AGAIN)
    Last edited by NZM3CSL; 09-26-2013 at 07:19 AM.

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    What you want to do at this point is to go and correct BDFLUSHR which is set at 660 on the real GT1. To do this (and still at the #) prompt type the following:

scoadmin hardware

you will see this screen

use [Tab] to go to “Tune Parameters”

press 1 to go to Buffers management

keep pressing [ENTER] until you reach BDFLUSHRand then enter the number 30 and press [ENTER] until you reach the end and press q to quite.

You will then come back to the original Hardware/Kernel Manager screen

At this point use [Tab] to go to Relink Kernel on the bottom right hand corner of the screen – press [ENTER] and Relink Kernel (you will be prompted with this screen, click on Relink and answer y to all questions.

Exit Hardward/Kernel Manager

You will then come back to #prompt, type the following:

vi /etc/default/boot

arrow down to the line that starts with DEFBOOSTSTR and press [shift][A] together and add a space behind “disable” and type the following:

kbm.wheel=no

press [ESC] and then type

:wq! {then press [ENTER] where you will be taken back to the #prompt}

Now you want to remove bitpad from GT1, so type the following:

mkdev bitpad

pick 3 to remove [ENTER], then 1[ENTER], then 6[ENTER] to remove the driver. Answer y to all the questions that follow and you will be taken back to # prompt

next you want to stop the Portmapper error message (this relates to the network drivers), so at the # prompt type:

scoadmin network

you will be taken to the Network configuration Manager

remove all the Current networking configuration EXCEPT for the HW SCO Loopback Driver

Next add a new LAN Adapter

The one to add for the IBM T30 is the Intel (R) PRO/100B / PRO/100+ PCI Adapter
    You want to set PCI Bus # as 2 and Device # as 8 and function # as 0.

The TCP/IP Configuration should be IP Address 192.168.68.30 press [ENTER] and NetmaskandBroadcast Address will be entered for you automatically

Answer y to all the questions and exit Network Configuration Manager

You will be brought back to # prompt. You then want to check that your video driver is correct – 99.99% of the time it is, but still type the following to double check

scoadmin video

It will usually be VESA standard VGA 1024 x 760, exit if you are certain, otherwise pick the correct video driver and save and exit.
    Last edited by NZM3CSL; 08-21-2010 at 10:26 AM.

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    You will be back at # prompt again, type

mkdev mouse

pick 2 to add mouse, and pick 3 for the PS/2 keyboard mouse. Then pick 2 for low resolution (lot easier to use!!).

Press enter at the next prompt, and then answer N to the question about linking it to other terminals, then y to the rest of the questions.

q to quit and you will be back at #prompt, then press [Alt][F1] and you will be brought back to the keyboard setting blue screen. Next press [F2] to Abort Install where you will be prompted with press [ENTER] if you wish to continue and then any key to Reboot (press any key and let the system reboot automatically)

Before reboot take out the SCO Openserver CD and let the computer reboot automatically. At the IBM Logo screen go back into BIOS and reset the boot procedure back to default (i.e. boot from hard drive)

The reboot procedure will then stop at the “The System Is Coming Up Please Wait” screen and below it you will get:
    SCO OpenServer ™ Release 5 (gt1ap) (tty02)
    login: _
    below the logo

At the login: _ prompt enter root and the password you set earlier to go into SCO Openserver which will boot up properly for the first timeyou will be met by the # prompt once again. At this point you want to type init 6 to reboot the system.

CONGRATULATIONS FOR REACHING THIS POINT … GT1 DIS WILL NOW BOOT UP

You will get to this screen … pick your language,

Enter Dealer number and address ect ect (remember your Dealer number is going to be your ‘pass code’ for installing TIS, DIS Program so make it simple like the screen shot below

DIS starts up

Go to ADMINISTRATION and load your v?? Program CD and click on Activate CD

Enter your pass code (the dealership number)

And load DIS program – now go take a rest while the program loads

And you are DONE!! Well almost ….

This next step is also important, as you want the system to fully reboot properly so there’s no respawning too quickly error messages so next press [Ctrl][Alt][F1] to exit (where you will see the respawning too quickly messages) enter root and your password, and type init 6 to reboot (the system will reset and reboot without an issue and no more respawning too quickly error messages.

POST INSTALLATION NOTES:
    - This installation method works 100% of the time – I have tried it over and over to confirm after many failures and trials with existing methods. This method is fail safe!!
    - You WILL NEED A DIAGNOSTIC HEAD (whether real or a clone) to use the IBM T30 Native Install. So this is helpful for those with a Diagnostic Head and have somehow lost their original install or it has become corrupt and need to redo their install again or simply for those wanting to load DIS Program v44 to have coding functions in their DIS (if you are wanting to load DIS program v44 I suggest using DIS Base v39 rather than v52, it is lot more stable and less laggy).
    - Why would you want a Native Install when the VMware install is so much easier? Simple answer to this – it is lot more reliable than the Virtual machine setup – trust me I have both and the Native IBM Install response time is noticeably quicker.

Last note – for the mods at www.digital-kaos.co.uk if you come across this write up and feel that I am worthy of being reinstated my status to view and contribute to the garage forum, please let me – my forum name there is M3_Power, Thanks.
    Last edited by NZM3CSL; 08-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Good writeup, congratulations! I am also locked out of the digital kaos garage forum, but I believe that this is just a temporary deal whilst they are reconstructing the forum.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Good writeup, congratulations! I am also locked out of the digital kaos garage forum, but I believe that this is just a temporary deal whilst they are reconstructing the forum.
    I don't think that's true. They seem to want to make it accessible only to those who contribute to their forums in some manner. Which kinda sucks because I don't really care for cable/satellite hacking (I barely watch TV) and the forums are far too saturated for everyone to be able to contribute something useful.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    I think it is true. I asked one of the moderators who replied: "The garage should be back soon."

And today, this global message on DK:

"Garage Members Please Read
    To all members especially the Garage members, we are getting bogged down with questions regarding members not being able to view the garage Forums. We the staff have for the time being , Deleted some of the Garage sections due to files e.t.c that could endanger the rest of the forum. We are not sure if or when they will/might come back, that will remain to be seen.

If you are a member that has been missing for a week or more, you might have your favorite threads, and if you try to log on to them you will get something like " you don't have these privileges " this does not mean that it has been hidden, it means that it has gone.

Same with Google, Google might show up a link that no longer exists, therefore it will say something on the same lines.

Please all understand that certain garage forums no longer exist, but we will try to keep the basic garage forum going , and hopefully it , maybe in the near future we can get it all back to normal.

We , the staff of Digital-Kaos apologize for the inconvenience , and hope you all understand and try to keep the forum a safe and still growing forum, by being careful what files you upload, and if you need too, please try to link to a file hosting site rather than uploading to Digital-Kaos.

Thank you all for being patient.."
    Last edited by stritarja; 08-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    I sure hope you're right, but we'll see. I seem to remember some mods mentioning that if it opens up, it'll be invite only. Maybe they've changed the policy since then, or perhaps that's what the policy is until they restructure the forums. I'm not holding my breath though.

My Cars
    bmw e87
    thanks

My Cars
    97 M3 04 Grand Cherokee
    I just so happen to have a Thinkpad T30 sitting around, would like to give this a try. Where to go for the gt1 software...

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    i like VMware running on T61 , WinXP or Win 7 with 3G memory
    had never issue with "unstable" or "slow" , just use right interface
    also don't need this expensive china yellow head
    don't see any point of using T30 but this is just my opinion and ... ya nice write up !
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-23-2010 at 01:09 PM.

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    i like VMware running on T61 , WinXP or Win 7 with 3G memory
    had never issue with "unstable" or "slow" , just use right interface
    also don't need this expensive china yellow head
    don't see any point of using T30 but this is just my opinion and ... ya nice write up !
    I guess you've never actually used a T30 with an EDIC yellow head have you?

I own both systems (and multiple copies of DIS in various forms and versions) and I can tell you for a fact that the T30 runs A LOT smoother and less laggy and it is also slightly faster compared to the VMware when it comes to actual diagnostics and programming.

My VMware runs on an IBM R61 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz with 3G RAM so it's not the fastest machine by any means, but neither is it slow.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the VMware versions as it will do everything that the native install will and it does away with the need to buy a physical interface.

Also if you read the write up properly (as I am sure some have), you'll also realise that the described installation methods also work on the VMware (except for the set up of the VMware machine which is obviously not described here and you can skip the part regarding S00poweroffd) - the installation method also desrcibes missing pieces that many have subsequently figured out on their own (such as BDFLUSHR, changing root password, how to abort SCO Openserver properly so as to avoid later software issues, respawning errors, DIS load errors -250 ect ect)

I've simply put this up to help - nothing more.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

My Cars
    BMW 518
    Hi! Im trying to do this guide. I'm not doing it with an external hdd as u recommend. Im trying with the internal as it is. If it not works I'm getting an external instead.

But now to my problem. When I'm doing step three and writes:
    sfdisk –f /dev/had < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg
    I'm getting this errormessage:
    sfdisk: Fatal error: cannot find /dev/had

I can tell that I first putted in my XP disc and booted it to the install and did a format from there and created a partion with the exact size and also one more partion with the rest of hdd space.

Help?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 528i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stufman View Post
    Hi! Im trying to do this guide. I'm not doing it with an external hdd as u recommend. Im trying with the internal as it is. If it not works I'm getting an external instead.

But now to my problem. When I'm doing step three and writes:
    sfdisk –f /dev/had < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg
    I'm getting this errormessage:
    sfdisk: Fatal error: cannot find /dev/had

I can tell that I first putted in my XP disc and booted it to the install and did a format from there and created a partion with the exact size and also one more partion with the rest of hdd space.

Help?

change this line( sfdisk –f /dev/had < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg ) to (sfdisk –f /dev/hda < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg ) and it work

My Cars
    85 745
    well done NZM3CSL!

Thank you for posting!

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by mazenrbn View Post
    change this line( sfdisk –f /dev/had < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg ) to (sfdisk –f /dev/hda < /etc/sfdisk.ide3.cfg ) and it work

ooops ... my typo .... corrected now. Thanks for pointing it out.

My Cars
    01M5,72TA,06LBz,850,540m
    I hope to do this one day i have a cable, I am attempting a reformat on a seperate HDD in my laptop. I cannot get it to boot in windows.

My Cars
    2000 BMW/ALPINA B3
    Hi-Thanks for a great write up.

A bit of help please-I get to the point where DIS is starting up for the first time and I get "You Must Calibrate First" followed by "Please Touch Top Left Calibration Point".

Any ideas !!

I'm using GT1 V1.1 and Base V39

Help !

Actually....figured it out
    Last edited by mccabema; 12-24-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 525i M20B25

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by NZM3CSL View Post
    GT1 on IBM T30 Installation Guide
    Hi, sorry for my english.

Thank you very much for the best guide with pictures, you are a true master! -)

I installed the DIS V57 for Compaq Evo N600c, following your guide step by step. DIS successfully installed, I tried to connect the original head of BMW GT1 through a network cable, then the black screen appeared, I rebooted the DIS, it successfully loaded to the moment when the cursor appears on a black screen on DIS is not loaded.

Help please, what should I do? Earlier on this laptop was an old version of DIS and successfully worked for 3 years! A new version is loaded to the cursor appears on a black screen -(((((

My Cars
    bmw x3 2005
    HI Guys. I have a one question. Does anybody know how to emulate dighead with native installation of GT1 ?

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by NZM3CSL View Post
    I guess you've never actually used a T30 with an EDIC yellow head have you?

I own both systems (and multiple copies of DIS in various forms and versions) and I can tell you for a fact that the T30 runs A LOT smoother and less laggy and it is also slightly faster compared to the VMware when it comes to actual diagnostics and programming.

My VMware runs on an IBM R61 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz with 3G RAM so it's not the fastest machine by any means, but neither is it slow.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the VMware versions as it will do everything that the native install will and it does away with the need to buy a physical interface.

Also if you read the write up properly (as I am sure some have), you'll also realise that the described installation methods also work on the VMware (except for the set up of the VMware machine which is obviously not described here and you can skip the part regarding S00poweroffd) - the installation method also desrcibes missing pieces that many have subsequently figured out on their own (such as BDFLUSHR, changing root password, how to abort SCO Openserver properly so as to avoid later software issues, respawning errors, DIS load errors -250 ect ect)

I've simply put this up to help - nothing more.

Hello I have the Group Tester 1 Siemens BMW with a touchscreen. The problem is I can't get it to boot. It develops an error and this message : "$1/etc/smck :verify system with software manager(custom) or restore files from backup". I have all the dealer level CDS from BMW Munich Germany which whenever I try to boot from do not work. What could be the problem? On the other hand I have 3 BMW DIS V57 SSS V39 PRECONFIGURED HDD For IBM T30.All the three HDD are working fine from IBM T30 when I boot from DIS(linux environment and not VMWARE). I can do diagnosis well using both of my heads Yellow DK(Genuine Siemens) and Orange OPPS. Problem comes when I log into SSS Progman. Both of my heads Genuine Siemens and Orange OPPS are not been able to establish a connection I.E Progman 'Start New Session' cannot detect the connected heads yet DIS detect them very well. When I restart SSS the problem still persists and when I go to configure IP address I get stranded since from DIS everything is fine so I don't see why SSS is faulty. The IP for Orange OPPS is 192.168.68.85 and for Yellow DK is 192.168.68.31. Progman recognizes both heads but with a Question mark. DIS recognizes both heads flawlessly and I'm able to do full diagnosis. What could be the problem? Please assist on this issue.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by ErmAKOFF View Post
    Hi, sorry for my english.

Thank you very much for the best guide with pictures, you are a true master! -)

I installed the DIS V57 for Compaq Evo N600c, following your guide step by step. DIS successfully installed, I tried to connect the original head of BMW GT1 through a network cable, then the black screen appeared, I rebooted the DIS, it successfully loaded to the moment when the cursor appears on a black screen on DIS is not loaded.

Help please, what should I do? Earlier on this laptop was an old version of DIS and successfully worked for 3 years! A new version is loaded to the cursor appears on a black screen -(((((
    same problem(

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by DingoKG View Post
    On the other hand I have 3 BMW DIS V57 SSS V39 PRECONFIGURED HDD For IBM T30.All the three HDD are working fine from IBM T30 when I boot from DIS(linux environment and not VMWARE).
    Can you send by uTorrent or upload somewhere Acronis tib file or another image file of your HDD?
    I have 49 gig Norton Ghost image, but there is problem with progrman. Maybe your will be good for me.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterok View Post
    can you send by utorrent or upload somewhere acronis tib file or another image file of your hdd?
    I have 49 gig norton ghost image, but there is problem with progrman. Maybe your will be good for me.
    i don't get you please guide

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by DingoKG View Post
    i don't get you please guide
    1) Create image file of your HDD in Acronis True Image http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_image.htm
    2) Send it in uTorrent http://www.utorrent.com/intl/en/help/guides/send-files (Send content from your computer)
    Last edited by hunterok; 08-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast