Thread: FS Find: 2000 Estoril Blue M Coupe with just 2,700 Miles

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line

FS Find: 2000 Estoril Blue M Coupe with just 2,700 Miles

I just came across this coupe on Craigslist. It is absolutely immaculate and looks brand new. I think the problem is that the relatively common color combination and S52 engine may not be attractive enough for collectors who would be the primary market for a car like this. However, if someone really wants this color combination, this is basically a second chance to buy a brand new car for $12k+ less than the original MSRP. What do you think?

Direct Ebay Link: http://************/00estoril2700
    http://listings.mcoupebuyersguide.co...?ListingID=162
    Last edited by jrmartin03; 08-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.

2002 Steel Gray over Imola Red M Coupe

My Cars
    2002 Z3 M
    Maybe a common color but certainly one of the best

That really is a good looking car but as people always point out, it is still a 10 year old car and there's bound to be a lot of rubber deterioration issues. Price seems to be in the correct range for a beautiful coupe but I'd think it's a little more of an S54 price.
    Pandora

My Cars
    2000 Estoril M Coupe
    So that's what my car looked like when it was new. Would you look at that leather!

2000 Estoril Blue Z3M Coupe

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I wonder if it's being sold on consignment. It pains me to think what "the man in the military" got from the dealer for such a pristine car
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    cars are object, not investments. Its stupid to buy a car and let it rot in a garage.

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post
    cars are object, not investments. Its stupid to buy a car and let it rot in a garage.
    This.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Quote Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post
    -Joe

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe

wow

i don't think i've ever seen a non S54 without the hood mat burn/rub marks on the front edge of the plastic silver/black engine cover! (then again, that hood insulation looks different than the one on my '99 that has the BMW logo...is that a standard 2000 thing?)
    I wonder what the fluid change and exercise drive intervals were. I also wonder where the military guy stored it cuz it doesn't seem to have seen too much humidity (the edges of the brake rotors aren't very rusty)
    I'd love to have a looksee just for the time-capsule vibe but agree with the other cats that say DRIVE the dang thing. You can't keep something prestine without burying it somewhere in the artic and forgetting about it. I see wear on the circles where the hatch bumpers strike the body (common) and other minor places where just poking around the car ages it.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    It's also now on Ebay, although the dealership calls it an M3 Coupe: http://************/00estoril2700

My Cars
    N/A

Tires have got to be shot

It's still a really nice car but somehow I think I'd rather have one that had 30-40k miles that was at least driven over the last 10 years and maybe had some maintenance done. I guess this could have been taken care of properly but the ad sure as hell doesn't mention anything about that.

Anyone contacted them to get the full story yet? Definitely a very nice looking car.

My Cars
    M E36/7 325Ci .:R32
    May I ask an ignorant question to all those who have posted above. I have frequently read here on the forum about "rubber deterioration" in numerous posts about garage queen cars that have been listed for sale.

My question is, how is a stored car more prone to "rubber deterioration" than a daily driver that has run to operating temperature at least twice a day and baked in the sun over 10 summers and possibly frozen over an equivalent number of winters.

In addition, has any owner posting above preventatively changed out all of their car's "rubber" since purchased -either new or used - to overcome "rubber deterioration" and avoid any potential for "rubber" failure. I agree with the well documented cooling system failures and so on, but I just don't see how this could be worse in a car that has not been run in comparison to one with 100,000 miles on it....

Any explanation with thanks for enlightening the ignorant (me).

BTW this is not a philosophical question about whether or not a car is to be driven and enjoyed.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 M
    Quote Originally Posted by knievil View Post
    May I ask an ignorant question to all those who have posted above. I have frequently read here on the forum about "rubber deterioration" in numerous posts about garage queen cars that have been listed for sale.

My question is, how is a stored car more prone to "rubber deterioration" than a daily driver that has run to operating temperature at least twice a day and baked in the sun over 10 summers and possibly frozen over an equivalent number of winters.

In addition, has any owner posting above preventatively changed out all of their car's "rubber" since purchased -either new or used - to overcome "rubber deterioration" and avoid any potential for "rubber" failure. I agree with the well documented cooling system failures and so on, but I just don't see how this could be worse in a car that has not been run in comparison to one with 100,000 miles on it....

BTW this is not a philosophical question about whether or not a car is to be driven and enjoyed.
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I think a lot of the issue is that when you buy a low miles car that old, you might think you're getting a new car. But in your comparison, you expect a 100,000 mile car to have issues but you might not expect them on a low miles car. So it's going to have parts that have sat under compression for very long periods of time which might end up giving it less than optimal performance when you start using it.

Another issues will be the tires. With that many miles they are more than likely original tires and at least in Southern California, a set of tires sitting around for 10 years will need replacing.

We'll see if people with more expertise on the wear issue chime in.

And on the 'driven or enjoyed' issue, a car is just an object. Designed to be driven but it is still another object to be possessed and enjoyed. I take heat becuase I don't drive my garage queen much. Well, the fact is I bought it just to possess it. I certainly drive it sometimes, but "how much is appropriate" is a personal decision. Some people will say you have to drive them everyday. Some say every week. Some say ???. The point is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you have a possession it is yours and it is your decision on how to enjoy it. On the other hand, I totally agree that they are not investments and will necessary appreciate with age. Of course my '68 Camaro that I paid $3200 for new is certainly worth a lot more than that now
    Pandora

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    it's not more prone - it's just ten years old and not in the same condition it was when it was molded.

Nitrile has a 15 year shelf life when store properly. Sealed in a UV resistant bag and not subjected to ozone.

Ethylene Propylene has an unlimited shelf-life when stored properly.

Simply being installed on a car itself is not properly stored.

Also, rubber and urethanes take on a compression set and lose their rebound.

So really, it's not so much whether or not the vehicle was used that determines the life of all the rubber components as they are breaking down on their own.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    It isn't that an undriven car is likely to more rubber deterioration than a driven car, it's that it should have the same deterioration. When you buy an undriven 10 year old car, you're not getting a new car.

I have replaced a lot of the rubber lines in my car (coolant, vacuum, etc.) as preventative maintenance. My '98 only has 64,000 miles, but the hoses/boots crack just like everyone else's.

Regardless of all of this, I would still love to have that coupe. Right off the bat, though, it would need a couple grand in PM to get the consumables back in line with the rest of the car. I think $28k is pretty ambitious with that in mind and it being a 2000 S52.

My Cars
    M E36/7 325Ci .:R32
    Thanks guys - always a great source of info....

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    I would kill (without emotion) for those Brilliant Roadstars. Perfect.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    I woulnd't personally purchase that specific veihicle, but many times I do wish I was buyin now and not like 3 years ago, the prices of coupes have dropped soooo much.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I bought a 2000 Z3 that had sat for 7 years or so. 30k miles on the clock.

Basically, all the foam and rubber had deteriorated. Speakers dry rotted to nothing, hoses were bad, and a few other issues.

However, the interior was damned near perfect. So maybe the trade-off is worth it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster

98 with 1100 miles on her

Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin03 View Post
    I just came across this coupe on Craigslist. It is absolutely immaculate and looks brand new. I think the problem is that the relatively common color combination and S52 engine may not be attractive enough for collectors who would be the primary market for a car like this. However, if someone really wants this color combination, this is basically a second chance to buy a brand new car for $12k+ less than the original MSRP. What do you think?

Direct Ebay Link: http://************/00estoril2700
    http://listings.mcoupebuyersguide.co...?ListingID=162
    Hi I just bought a cosmo black 1998 Z3 M Roadster with 1100 miles on her. She looks like she came off the show room floor. A woman bought it for her husband. He got sick and couldn't drive. It sat in their Garage and then Barn for the next 12 years. The tires are perfect no checking on them. The was covered and started from time to time. It has a new batter in it and all fluids and filters have been changed. I'm looking on how to take the backlash out of the power seats and want to find out what chip works best. Thanks littlmroadster (Dan)

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Quote Originally Posted by littlmroadster View Post
    Hi I just bought a cosmo black 1998 Z3 M Roadster with 1100 miles on her. ... The tires are perfect no checking on them. ...
    From http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=138a

Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    For 28.5K, I'd darned well hope the thing had a CLEARBRA, not a nasty black vinyl one!

My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 07 A3 S-Line
    It looks like someone used the buy-it-now at $28,500. I have to say I'm a little surprised. I haven't seen a coupe get a fully deserving price on Ebay in a little while.

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE

I agree with you 100% my 2000 M coupe just turned 10,600 mile, with no sign of seal dryness or rot and cooling system is fine. Heat cycles are what causes plastics to become brittle, like the radiator.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    That's tip-top dollar for an S-52, regardless of the low mileage. Unfortunately, if the new owners drives it much, it will depreciate down to ~$15K pretty quickly.

That is very cool to have such a low-mileage 11 year old car but I don't think it was wisely purchased.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.