Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford aims to tackle the M3 with the new Mustang Boss 302

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Cool Ford aims to tackle the M3 with the new Mustang Boss 302

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ford-mustang-boss-302?imageNo=8

“For us that meant a production Mustang that could top one of the world’s best – the 2010 BMW M3 – in lap times at Laguna Seca”, says Ford.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI
    Let them. It will still be the same rattling POS in 5 years that all Mustangs are.

I've owned 3.

My Cars
    zip
    certainly an aggressive goal. Hopefully they deliver.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by g00dwagen View Post
    Let them. It will still be the same rattling POS in 5 years that all Mustangs are.

I've owned 3.
    Bwahaha so true, my mom has one.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Top model for top model, BMW probably still wins. They're comparing a fully factory race prepped Mustang to a run-of-the-mill M3. How does the Boss 302 do compared to the M3 GTS?

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by espguitarist View Post
    Top model for top model, BMW probably still wins. They're comparing a fully factory race prepped Mustang to a run-of-the-mill M3. How does the Boss 302 do compared to the M3 GTS?
    About 1/4 to 1/3 the cost, more than 1/4 to 1/3 the fun, and you'll be able to buy it in the USA instead of drool at it from a distance. It's a winner, even if they don't necessarily beat ze Germans, and I think they have a fighting chance of that.

My Cars
    95M3, 78 T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by g00dwagen View Post

I've owned 3.
    I read this earlier this week and I had some time to reflect on this. I am actually very impressed with this Boss Mustang. It really looks like Ford came in with some high goals of restoring the Mustang racing name. I think this is great. BMW probably won't look at this way but I think that this should be the push them to bring the M back to it's track heritage. Maybe they should make an M3 model that focuses a little less on the luxury, drops some much needed wieght, and gets back to a more track worthy vision.
    Last edited by M3amazesme; 08-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.

95'///M3 Cosmos Black with AA intake, Gen III Exhaust, AA chip, BMP Front strut bar, Koni S/A's, H&R OE springs.
    Origin ID: RomCommm

My Cars
    1987 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by M3amazesme View Post
    I read this earlier this week and I had some time to reflect on this. I am actually very impressed with this Boss Mustang. It really looks like Ford came in with some high goals of restoring the Mustang racing name. I think this is great. BMW probably won't look at this way but I that this should be the push them to bring the M back to it's track heritage. Maybe they should make an M3 model that focuses a little less on the luxury, drops some much needed wieght, and gets back to a more track worthy vision.
    +1
    I would like to see the M3 get back to its track heritage like Ford is doing with this new Boss 302. They probably won't though because IMO the better part of the bimmer market are yups and don't care about racing and track heritage. I can't even remember the last time I saw a newer bimmer with any upgrades other than wheels. We can hope though...

My Cars
    zip
    Quote Originally Posted by M3amazesme View Post
    BMW probably won't look at this way but I that this should be the push them to bring the M back to it's track heritage. Maybe they should make an M3 model that focuses a little less on the luxury, drops some much needed wieght, and gets back to a more track worthy vision.
    I doubt but you never know. Either way its good a time to be a car enthusiast.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    About 1/4 to 1/3 the cost, more than 1/4 to 1/3 the fun, and you'll be able to buy it in the USA instead of drool at it from a distance. It's a winner, even if they don't necessarily beat ze Germans, and I think they have a fighting chance of that.
    I still find it funny that people can actually argue FOR a car based on a cheaper price. Especially if it's a car that will be used on a race track, where the initial purchase price of the car is only a small part of the expense.
    What a lowly position to have to take..

Whatever the case, I think it's cool that Ford built the car. Of course, I wouldn't have one over an M3, though.

1997 Dodge Ram

My Cars
    iuilyui
    How does the Boss 302 do compared to the M3 GTS?
    you can actually buy a Boss 302, so it has that going for it

if given the choice between the two I'd rather have an M3, but I wouldn't mind owning a Boss though

My Cars
    97,98 E36 M3
    Put the //M up against any competitor and the //M is victorious everytime im not worried at all
    98 M3 Coupe
    intake/muffler delete/M50 Manifold/Tuned
    97 M3 Sedan
    intake/X-pipe/ weight redux

Sold Cars
    99 M3, 95 M3, 92 325i, 95 325i, 09 135i, 96 328i

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    this is great news for Ford and for BMW, you have free advertising for BMW including Ford calling the M3 the best of the best and confirming the M3 as the benchmark to shoot for in an all around sports car.

the fact that Ford has set it's sights on the M3 also means that they'll be giving the buying public (us) another option when shopping for the pinnacle of sports car capabilities.

The new Mustang is full of win and the Mustang Boss 302 with the Laguna Seca package should be a wicked machine to pilot. adjustable suspension from the factory? YES PLEASE!

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    1995 325i
    That may be true, and is indeed a valid point, however that is not what we - or Ford - are comparing here.

Ford's goal was to build a "production Mustang that could top one of the world’s best – the 2010 BMW M3 – in lap times at Laguna Seca"

With that being said, cost instantly becomes irrelevant to the argument. Price was not a factor, they simply wanted to be faster at Laguna Seca.
    Last edited by espguitarist; 08-17-2010 at 11:18 PM.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    That may be true, and is indeed a valid point, however that is not what we - or Ford - are comparing here.

Ford's goal was to build a "production Mustang that could top one of the world’s best – the 2010 BMW M3 – in lap times at Laguna Seca"

With that being said, cost instantly becomes irrelevant to the argument. Price was not a factor, they simply wanted to be faster at Laguna Seca.
    if the Boss 302 does in fact cost $50k then they'll be hurting themselves since that's Corvette and Shelby GT500 territory.

Corvette > Mustang

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    2009 335i
    I don't know, Mustang is one of the classic muscle cars, but to beat the M3? Hmmm....

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic01101011 View Post
    I still find it funny that people can actually argue FOR a car based on a cheaper price. Especially if it's a car that will be used on a race track, where the initial purchase price of the car is only a small part of the expense.
    What a lowly position to have to take..

Whatever the case, I think it's cool that Ford built the car. Of course, I wouldn't have one over an M3, though.
    Alright, Mr. Moneybags. Not all of us can afford to have a "cost is no option" mentality. With the Boss 302 you can daily drive it or just use it as a weekend car. You can also choose to spend varying amounts of money to continue to develop it into a track, and possibly a race car. You talk about low cost like it's a bad thing. Low cost makes it accessible. You want to an argument FOR a car based on cheaper price? Look no further than the Mazda Miata. It's cheap and it get's people racing without spending a fortune. The point is to make racing accessible, not an exclusive club limited by the price of admission.

No, price is always a factor, especially for an accessible brand like Ford. They wanted to make an M3 killer, but if the blue oval had to charge M3 prices for it, then the victory would be hollow. They didn't actually take any extreme measures. It's the equivalent of the M3 LTW. Great car, but honestly is not radically different from the regular model. Just a touch lighter, stiffer, and a few extra ponies (something the LTW didn't bring to the table). Nothing new or terribly expensive.

My Cars
    E90 335i
    It's great tha Ford is making a real M3 fighter, but to call this a M3-killer is rather premature. I will still prefer a M3 over any mustang at this point.

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    I said it with the CTS-V/E60 M5 nonsense and will say it again here.

Its great when a brand new 2012 vehicle can out-perform one that came out in 2008. They must be very proud.

In case you didn't notice, that was supposed to be said sarcastically.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    I'm all for competition if help raises the bar and make sure BMW keeps on improving the M3 rather then let it rest on it's laurels. If this mustang can lit the fire under BMW, then they will have the incentive to further enhanced the M3, and that's good for us.

My Cars
    Elise and Z4
    Alright, Mr. Moneybags. Not all of us can afford to have a "cost is no option" mentality. With the Boss 302 you can daily drive it or just use it as a weekend car. You can also choose to spend varying amounts of money to continue to develop it into a track, and possibly a race car. You talk about low cost like it's a bad thing. Low cost makes it accessible. You want to an argument FOR a car based on cheaper price? Look no further than the Mazda Miata. It's cheap and it get's people racing without spending a fortune. The point is to make racing accessible, not an exclusive club limited by the price of admission.

No, price is always a factor, especially for an accessible brand like Ford. They wanted to make an M3 killer, but if the blue oval had to charge M3 prices for it, then the victory would be hollow. They didn't actually take any extreme measures. It's the equivalent of the M3 LTW. Great car, but honestly is not radically different from the regular model. Just a touch lighter, stiffer, and a few extra ponies (something the LTW didn't bring to the table). Nothing new or terribly expensive.
    I agree with that.
    Cost obviously comes into picture at some point of time.
    Building a car that can be tracked and daily driven without huge maintainence costs is desirable.
    Anyways, its good to hear that Ford has considered M3 as a bench mark.

My Cars
    99 MCoupe 92 325i 91 318
    idk i gotta give it to ford, that mustang is pretty cool, and look at what they are aiming for, a fast time around a track, yes to beat the m3 but in the end the goal isn't to just make it hillbilly fast, finally we can have some faith in american cars..

My Cars
    2000/E-39 528IT
    Please making a car is very different than making a quality car. How many quality Mustangs you see after a few years. I had a 13 year old M3 that peform like a champ. Owning that Mustang is like having a life you can have it as a girlfriend but dont marry the bi*$#.

My Cars
    2000 X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by hon2bmw View Post
    I said it with the CTS-V/E60 M5 nonsense and will say it again here.

Its great when a brand new 2012 vehicle can out-perform one that came out in 2008. They must be very proud.

In case you didn't notice, that was supposed to be said sarcastically.

Second link (TopGear) says it's the 2010 M3...

Mustang looks pretty sleek, but it somehow always screams "DOUCHE" to me. I know that this is purely my perception and stereotyping, but it'd be nice to add "classy" to the list of descriptions for the 'Stang.
    Mind you...they were never intended to be classy...

My Cars
    85 735i,E30 325i
    The more competition the better for everyone! this will force both companies to up the quality of their cars or price drops/ incentives... in the end the consumer wins. I think both cars are great. I don't see why some people think only one company or model of car will be the best. variety = good. thats my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast