Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Universal Aluminum Radiator option

My Cars
    320i, 525i

Chevy Universal Aluminum Radiator option

Last night I completed the installation of a 19"x22" Chevy Universal Aluminum Radiator from Speedway Motors in the race car.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...tors,3557.html

I cut out the lower factory mounts and welded in some angle bracket to support the radiator a little lower in the car. I cut down the radiator mounting kit you can get from Speedway. I also used one of the top mounts included in the kit.

The Speedway Motors radiator that I used has the fill on top of the side tank which could cause some clearance issues. I now have about 1/4 inch above of the radiator fill but my hood is cut down to just a shell so I have more room then stock.

The radiator hoses that I used are:

Top Hose - Gates Part numbers 20797
    1968 to 1971 MERCEDES-BENZ 280S
    1 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 14 19/32"

Lower Hose - Gates Part numbers 21630
    1987 - 1991 CHEVROLET BERETTA
    1 1/4" x 1 21/32" x 18 29/32"

I ordered the true Gates hoses through the local O'Reilly auto parts and got next day shipping for free. Cost a little more then Rockauto and other places but shipping more then made up the difference.

Top hose worked great. On the lower hose I used the first bend from the large end and cut the hose off right at the start of the second bend. I also heated up the hose a little in hot water and stretched out the radiator end of the hose so I could get it on the radiator further. I had to adjust the thermostat housing a little closer to the front cover to get things to line up a little better.

I spent a hour looking through the Gates books to find the best hoses. I also ordered a couple other bottom hoses but they did not work because of the length of the hose before the first bend.

I now need to mount the electric fan in front of the radiator. I hope only need it on the cool down laps and if it is a really hot day.

I also need to seal up around the radiator so all the air is forced through the radiator instead of slipping around it.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    pics of the install? Are you running an m10 or m20?
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    320i, 525i
    I will get some pictures this weekend when I get back to the shop. I forgot the camera last night. I am running a M10.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    I put the same radiator in my 80 with an M10 - hope to put one in the track car with the M20 later this year. I took the stock electric fan and mounted it to the radiator core support area, works good in Calif. summer heat, 200 is the hottest it gets around town. I used the stock hose on top, cut in the middle and put in a piece copper pipe. On the bottom I rubber sleeved a piece of lower stock 65 chevelle hose with a 4" long piece of stock BMW hose to connect it from the radiator to the BMW thermostat. I lowered the bottom mounts for the radiator when I did mine, it does not sit that low.

I have install thread or web page somewhere??

All this said, I will be going down to the parts store this weekend and using your info to order some hoses! Thank you for the info!!

Would love to see pics. I will look to see if I have any pics of the fan install for you.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 08-05-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    77 320i 82 320is 93 f150
    Thank You for the Info.

My Cars
    83 320i
    I'm glad some one was successful with this install! I attempted to do this same thing last year and encounter that I need to cut and weld some brackets ... did not have the resources and could not locate the appropriate hoses... Congrats!! Please post a few pics

My Cars
    320i, 525i
    Here are some picture of the install. Still need to bolt and clamp everything down. The drivers side tank lines right up with the stock opening and the passenger side lines right up. The fins are a little covered on the top and the bottom but it is twice as thick as the stock radiator.

The water pump pulley sits about 3/4 inch away from the radiator. I use an electric pusher fan on the front side of the radiator.

Let me know if you any one has any questions. I will back over to the shop tomorrow finishing things up on the radiator and installing the transmission.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Got any pics zoomed out to see how you fit it up against the core support opening?
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    '70 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 0396 View Post
    I'm glad some one was successful with this install! I attempted to do this same thing last year and encounter that I need to cut and weld some brackets ... did not have the resources and could not locate the appropriate hoses... Congrats!! Please post a few pics
    If you need some brackets I can hook you up pretty cheap. I'm running this setup in my car. As for hoses just go to an auto parts store and browse their selection till you find something you can use. It might require a little creativity but can be done easily enough

My Cars
    320i, 525i
    Here are pictures zoomed out and also close up of the top gap. On my car is a little over a 1/2 inch gap across the top. I am going to fill this with weather stripping that I am going to slick to the core support.

Still need to get a new radiator cap, install the front electric fan and get it filled up.

I also need to move the oil cooler over but need to make a longer hose. I want to totally redo the oil system over the winter.

I has been hot and humid here lately so the shop is a little warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    77 320i 82 320is 93 f150
    Any pics of the lower supourt. Thanks this is great stuff.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    On the top I used four of the stock top rubber radiator mounts and a piece of 1/2" by 1/2" aluminum angle on the radiators top "C" channel. "L" angle piece is on the inside of the radiators top front "C" channel. This picture only shows the out side top rubber mount installed - but you can see the holes for one of the two inside ones to be put into.

Last edited by OLD MAN; 08-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    320i, 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac320i View Post
    Any pics of the lower supourt. Thanks this is great stuff.
    Sorry I don't. What I did is cut off part of the Speedway lower mount and welded it to the factory lower radiator support starting right at the seam. The lower mounts were then lined with a thick rubber sheet. Everything is now bolted in so it is a little harder to get good photos.

My Cars
    77 320i 82 320is 93 f150
    Quote Originally Posted by RonInSD View Post
    Sorry I don't. What I did is cut off part of the Speedway lower mount and welded it to the factory lower radiator support starting right at the seam. The lower mounts were then lined with a thick rubber sheet. Everything is now bolted in so it is a little harder to get good photos.
    Thats ok, Im going to post what I did on my build thread. Thank you for all the info on the hoses

My Cars
    320i, 525i
    I raced this weekend and the radiator worked great. Based on the data logger my water temp never got over 200 degrees F during the race on a 95+ degree F day. This is measured from the stock sender location. I only turned on the fan during the cool down lap and into post race tech.

I had to bypass my oil cooler because I found a leak and could not get it fixed in time. My oil temps got up to 280 degrees F during the race measured from the oil drain plug.

Before the upgrade I was pushing 230 degrees F water temp during races.

Now to get more power out of the motor with in the rules....

My Cars
    95' cruiser, 83' 320
    Just ordered my radiator...Thanks for the info!....Matt

My Cars
    98 318 Ti

Lightbulb Here's my speedway in stall

I made a frame that goes in the frames rails.
    My M30 carb intake

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Nice post RonInsd,,aluminum radiator upgrade for the M10 engine is a good idea, radiators in these cars for some reason were made small and cool less, I have a stock BMW and been looking into aluminum radiator for some time.

Thats Helmut Koinigg in BMW-Alpina Build.

My Cars
    1978 320i
    jimbo, you can blow the house down with those dual fans. nice work.

My Cars
    95' cruiser, 83' 320
    Found the hoses for $20 shipped on Amazon......$12 cheaper then the next place...

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjim69 View Post

I made a frame that goes in the frames rails.
    Why the hot air intake. Make an enclosure for that man.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    95' cruiser, 83' 320
    Got her in:

My Cars
    80 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by roverclassic View Post
    Got her in:

Did you have those side mounts welded on? how does it look at the bottom? what did you cut away from the car?

My Cars
    95' cruiser, 83' 320
    Yeah, mounts were welded on out of some aluminum stock, by my buddy, who has much better welding skills then me.....I will post some pics of the bottom. Still have to come up with some kind of shroud. Fan is out of an X5..

My Cars
    80 320i
    looks really clean and simple with just side mounts. was cutting the top section necessary or only for easy fan installation/removal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast