Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Sedan + LS1/T56 + Samberg Kit

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7

E36 M3 Sedan + LS1/T56 + Samberg Kit

As the last of the minor parts trickle in I figured it was time to start my own thread.

I'm doing the same thing everyone else is doing here but i'm going about it a bit differently than most people seem to be doing.

we start with a 97 m3 sedan, it's an auto but i'll fix that.

I picked it up in phoenix last weekend and drove it back, it was fun but not fast enough.

I picked up an 01 camaro ls1/t56 dropout from ebay. I've done swaps before and didn't want to get killed finding the right combination of parts to make everything work, accessories, transmission parts, etc so I bought the setup that is said to be drop-in.

I looked at the vorschlag kit and it looks nice, no doubt. but I really like the way samberg went and did a complete subframe setup. Save some weight to offset the new engine and have equal or better strength without having screws for the motor mounts. the tranny mount still has some isolation as well (granted poly bushings aren't exactly soft)

With the steering shaft and his headers it was very close in price to the vorschlag kit.

weld quality and construction is excellent on all the parts.

I took the advice of a few forums posters on there on the various swap parts, the clutch setup is the autozone parts setup as described in a thread here. I'm going to use the JTR adapter for the coolant hose. the power steering setup is the russell hose setup with the pegasus racing power steering adapter. I have the JTR rear end adapter for the 1310 u-joint. The only major piece I have outstanding is the driveshaft - I intend to have one made up locally once I have the critical dimensions (ie the engine is mounted in the chassis and I can take measurements)
    Last edited by Tongboy; 08-03-2010 at 04:03 PM.

My Cars
    2011 328xi, E36 LS1
    Looks like you're off to a great start. Same swap as me; '01 Camaro into a red e36 . Keep us updated!

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Nice!! I love the Sanberg RX7 stuff, I'm sure the BMW parts are great as well. Time to yank the motor and get duuuurty!!!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I was actually going to look at that same car. looked pretty clean.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    I was actually going to look at that same car. looked pretty clean.
    it is pretty clean - paint is in really good shape for being an AZ car - only peel is on the mirrors - rest of the car has really great paint.

serp belt makes some noise sometime, suspension is pretty tight all the way around and the car looks factory everywhere except for the obvious wheel and seats.

I didn't realize it was a non-sunroof car until after I bought it - doesn't bother me terribly but I was a little let down when I noticed. I still need to get under the car and see what maintenance items it needs. I want to get the motor in there without taking on other projects around the car though - I've done motor swaps that grew into redo the car projects and I don't want to do that again - bite off sizable chunks and get them complete first...

My Cars
    2006 M3cic Carbon Schwarz, 1995 M3c Cosmos Schwarz
    What is the steering shaft that you're using? Mine is the Flaming River shaft and it has some annoying play; I'm thinking of changing it.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    it's the samberg shaft - looks identical to the vorschlag unit.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Nice looking car. Will be nice to follow another build. Get started soon!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    95 M3, 97 ti/LS1, 93 318
    Nice looking stuff. Nice car to start with as well. How much was the Samberg kit with the headers and steering shaft?
    4 out of the 5 voices in my head say....go for it!

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Nice!

I'll be interested to know if the subframe is spot on for suspension geometry?

It was a hard choice between the kits out there....

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Sharp looking kit...The Auto M3 seems like a practical choice, as they are sooooo much cheaper. Hopefully changing out the pedals won't suck ass, I'm interested to see how that goes.
    If you get started, you might have the first completed thread using the Samberg Kit. MAS280 is getting paint, not sure where Don is on his swap?
    I wonder if this subframe will be suitable for jacking up the front of the car?
    Best luck on the build, keep us updated.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    also, you might be disappointed in the non sunroof but they are much more rare.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwguru View Post
    Nice looking stuff. Nice car to start with as well. How much was the Samberg kit with the headers and steering shaft?
    http://www.norotors.com/index.php/topic,623.0.html

~2675 ballpark + shipping.

about the same price as the vorschlag setup after engine + tranny mount + steering shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    If you get started, you might have the first completed thread using the Samberg Kit. MAS280 is getting paint, not sure where Don is on his swap?
    I wonder if this subframe will be suitable for jacking up the front of the car?
    Best luck on the build, keep us updated.
    it's interesting that I might be the first complete samberg setup published, now i'm even more interested in getting everything in the car and going...

i'll take pictures of every little piece I have as they are all setting at home ready to go now. i'm cleaning up the garage so I can start in a nice clean workspace to get it done smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    also, you might be disappointed in the non sunroof but they are much more rare.
    I know they are rarer and i'll like it when it's going around the track. it isn't really a big deal to me. I just didn't expect it as they are so uncommon.
    Last edited by Tongboy; 08-04-2010 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 97 ti/LS1, 93 318
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongboy View Post
    http://www.norotors.com/index.php/topic,623.0.html

~2675 ballpark + shipping.

about the same price as the vorschlag setup after engine + tranny mount + steering shaft.
    Great thanks. Does this setup retain ABS? If so does the ABS unit need to be relocated?
    4 out of the 5 voices in my head say....go for it!

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    I usually forget my sunroof is there, I think i've opened it maybe 3 times in almost 2 years. Supposedly the sunroof crap is fairly heavy, and in the worst possible location for additional weight.

Looks like the kit is raw. Are you going to have a finish put on it? I know it's extra money, but I'd powdercoat the Subframe/mounts, and possibly ceramic coat the headers (looks like Stainless, but never hurts)

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwguru View Post
    Great thanks. Does this setup retain ABS? If so does the ABS unit need to be relocated?
    we'll both learn this as I get into it :o

I believe it does and I believe if it needs to be moved it's just up and out of the way a bit, not somewhere else in the engine bay entirely

Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    Looks like the kit is raw. Are you going to have a finish put on it? I know it's extra money, but I'd powdercoat the Subframe/mounts, and possibly ceramic coat the headers (looks like Stainless, but never hurts)
    Yep - kit came bare. I was thinking about powdercoating and then talked to some friends and they have had good luck with chassis and rollbar paint. I picked up a can and gave everything a few good coats. paint seems surprisingly resilient.

I'm planning on leaving the headers uncoated for now. I've never been impressed with ceramic coatings on anything but pure all out racers and this car isn't intended to be that dedicated for the time being. they are stainless and should be good without any issues.
    Last edited by Tongboy; 08-04-2010 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    nice parts i was going to purchase this kit about a year ago, but the headers were still under fabrication, so i started to build my own mounts, nice parts!!!! get started and post a lot of pictures!!

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    will be nice to see first car done with this kit. will be watching some progress. good luck

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Local Braap offered to have me over and test fit my subframe/headers in his car so I could plan for my car - Can't thank him enough - very useful to use a torn apart car to check everything.

pretty sweet setup with the way the ladder bars sweep back to tie the subframe together - should make for a very strong front end

all in all things fit pretty well - the subframe was perfect, matched all the bolts and mounting surfaces without issue. The motor sits higher than is really necessary with the f-body pan but will easily accommodate other pans if I want to run them in the future.

you can see the tight spots - the #6 hits the framerail just a pinch and the #7 needs a bit of a clearance - it's tight back there but the smaller steering shaft makes everything fit. Note we did have the steering shaft in backwards.

I'm pretty ready to tear my motor out and put this one in and get it buttoned up.

I'm not looking forward to that tight exit by the drivers side exhaust or the heater pipes back by the brake booster but they shouldn't be that much of a nightmare...

My Cars
    95 M3 -- 93 RX7
    Looks very good. Braap should just keep this kit in his car and order you a new kit. It would save him alot of time.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Wow awesome, agreed Braap should just keep it...

Either way awesome, Could you guys see any change in the factory suspension geometry?

-Paul (#2)

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Wow awesome, agreed Braap should just keep it...

Either way awesome, Could you guys see any change in the factory suspension geometry?

-Paul (#2)
    the lower front control arms fit in EXACTLY like they should with the stock pieces - the little tabs that sit over the top to drop in to keep them in tight fit very well too - they were slick to see in operation as it's hard to convey in pics exactly how they work.

I talked to Mr Samberg last night and he was surprised by the #6 hitting but did say the #7 did need to be clearanced just a bit by the firewall - braap also pointed out that the little angle there by the booster is different in a sedan and a coupe, so that was interesting to see.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    I'd like to not have to, just to simplify the swap but we'll see how it fits as braap already relocated his and freed up a lot of space in that area

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    looking really good

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast