Thread: E34 OBC Remote Programming FYI

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy

E34 OBC Remote Programming FYI

So... this weekend, I discovered and did something "new to me" on the car. I was sitting in traffic and little bored, so I started tinkering around as usual.

Anyway... I re-programmed the Cluster / Dash OBC display. The system allows you to select what is displayed in the Remote Dash display and in what order too.... neat!

So... I held the Turn Signal stalk (on the steering stalk on the left) in for about 3 - 5 seconds and then the display changes to: PROG _ _ _ _ 1. From here, you go to the OBC beside the radio and select what feature you want displayed and in what order. So, for wanted time first, so I press Time on the OBC, then Date, then MPG or Consumption, then Average Speed or MPH, etc. Once you have selected all the features you want, just press S/R and hey presto - You are done!

I also found a link with instructions for this in our F.A.Q. section posted by Attack Eagle:

Link to Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=912536

Link to OBC Doc. PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/?cx0z1zbbmzm
    Last edited by AquilaBMW; 08-02-2010 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    Sweet PDF, thanks for sharing! I didn't know I could turn on the parked venting without setting the timer. Just press the 'S/R' button when 'OFF VENT' is displayed. It is always fun learning something new about my car, even after a year plus of ownership. Thanks again from one Mike to another.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by jbondbmw View Post
    Sweet PDF, thanks for sharing! I didn't know I could turn on the parked venting without setting the timer. Just press the 'S/R' button when 'OFF VENT' is displayed. It is always fun learning something new about my car, even after a year plus of ownership. Thanks again from one Mike to another.
    My pleasure, the display had been driving nuts because of how it was set up. Now I have it the way I want it.

BTW... I thought only Tourings had that Vent Timer option. Nice! Now I just how to figure out how to adjust / correct my MPG readings.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i
    Hey Aquila this should help you out with your mpg readings. There's a few other cool things you can do with the OBC as well.

http://briandejong.com/MyBlog/?page_id=163
    -Nick

My Cars
    2015 435i GC F36
    Awesome, its funny how advanced these cars were! I love finding little tricks like that.
    DnB and Techno Mixes here

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by carmaniac13 View Post
    Hey Aquila this should help you out with your mpg readings. There's a few other cool things you can do with the OBC as well.

http://briandejong.com/MyBlog/?page_id=163
    That is some awesome information. I will do this once I have the cluster figured out, and can do another full tank run to get the calculation. I figure my car is about 10 MPG off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tj Hunter View Post
    Awesome, its funny how advanced these cars were! I love finding little tricks like that.
    Pretty cool with these cars. They were quite revolutionary for their time.

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    That is some awesome information. I will do this once I have the cluster figured out, and can do another full tank run to get the calculation. I figure my car is about 10 MPG off.

Pretty cool with these cars. They were quite revolutionary for their time.
    I reset my trip odo and MPG calculator every time I fill up and my OBC MPG is only off by 0.5 MPG worse than my car actually did. I am pleased enough with that. It is very cool that we can 'jailbreak' the OBC though.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I reset my trip odo and MPG calculator every time I fill up and my OBC MPG is only off by 0.5 MPG worse than my car actually did. I am pleased enough with that. It is very cool that we can 'jailbreak' the OBC though.
    The "jailbreakability" is quite handy. I was talking with Sskoda about this and we think it might be a case of the car coming from Europe where their measure of a litre is more than the US. So, this might be what is affecting the reading on the car since I changed the entire cluster to a US Spec Cluster.

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    The "jailbreakability" is quite handy. I was talking with Sskoda about this and we think it might be a case of the car coming from Europe where their measure of a litre is more than the US. So, this might be what is affecting the reading on the car since I changed the entire cluster to a US Spec Cluster.
    Yea, I know the UK gallon is larger than the US gallon. When they give the MPG ratings for things like diesel hatchbacks on Top Gear and Fifth Gear, I always crap my pants when I hear the MPG figures they get until I remind myself that their gallon is bigger than ours.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Yea, I know the UK gallon is larger than the US gallon. When they give the MPG ratings for things like diesel hatchbacks on Top Gear and Fifth Gear, I always crap my pants when I hear the MPG figures they get until I remind myself that their gallon is bigger than ours.

If you think that is funny, you should be in the car when mine occasionally shows 69 MPG! Cracks me up! Right now, it is showing 31 MPG average consumption - ON A V8 M 60 ENGINE!!!!!

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    If you think that is funny, you should be in the car when mine occasionally shows 69 MPG! Cracks me up! Right now, it is showing 31 MPG average consumption - ON A V8 M 60 ENGINE!!!!!
    Post a picture of that on a Prius forum. Make them cry in their wheat grass shots.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Post a picture of that on a Prius forum. Make them cry in their wheat grass shots.

LMAO!!!! That would be sweet!