Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 540 owners CHECK YOUR POWER STEERING

My Cars
    E39 540/6

540 owners CHECK YOUR POWER STEERING

Below is my experience with power steering on my 540, which is a common problem with these cars, but not emphasized enough. I have to say I was quite lucky both times. Realistically if this happens to you chances are your belt will either completely break or shred and wrap around the fan ( what happened to me), like I said this occurred in my driveway if it were to happen at highway speeds it could have been a very dangerous situation seeing as the belt runs accessories such as your alternator as well. You will also need a new pump immediately and a tow this could easily be a 1,000 dollar scenario and very inconvenient if you don't have a second car.

It's times like these I miss my 528!

Quote Originally Posted by 98 528i View Post
    The bolts on the power steering on my 540 backed out and the bracket slightly bent causing the belt to shred. The bolt has no nut on the back side of the bolt. This happened in my driveway and I was able to get a new belt and fix it the same day not a big deal at all, but it would have been better to not have had it happen at all. I've seen this happen on a 740 as well. I figure if this post saves one person some hassle it's worth it, it only takes a few minutes to check, so do it!
    The 740 that had the same problem as me came in the shop today with a broken bracket on the power steering, I checked mine and sure enough it's broken as well, but just on one side. After doing a little research I found someone on bimmerfest that had welded the bracket instead of buying a new pump ( there are rules against cross-posting between forums if you search "540i power steering" on google it will be the first hit) Keep in mind the bracket is aluminum, so not just anyone can weld it, and it has to be perfect.

Chances are I can get it welded for under $50 as a favor, if you don't have any connections I'd estimate it would cost around 200 to get it welded and shaved perfectly seeing as if it's not done 100% perfectly it will break again. If it comes to this you're better off simply buying a new pump for a little over 400. This isn't quite breaking news, but these forums are about sharing info so there's my story!

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Got another good one for you.

Customer's PS pump locked up, but the belt didn't shread. Instead, it sheared the pump off the timing cover, breaking the mounting points off the cover. Required a new PS pump, front timing cover, all gaskets, and we did the timing rails while in there.

If you think you have a PS problem, fix it now.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Great advice. I'll keep a close eye (and ear) on mine. Thanks.

My Cars
    98 Prelude 5spd
    same thing happened to me, sheared the PS pump mount right off.

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    Got another good one for you.

Customer's PS pump locked up, but the belt didn't shread. Instead, it sheared the pump off the timing cover, breaking the mounting points off the cover. Required a new PS pump, front timing cover, all gaskets, and we did the timing rails while in there.

If you think you have a PS problem, fix it now.
    Never heard of that happening sounds like the worst possible scenario

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Never heard of that happening sounds like the worst possible scenario
    I never had either, until I saw it. Hearing that it happened to Dominican too makes it twice.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    uuuuggghhhhh!! WTF.... More detrimental Problems? Thanks for the heads up!
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    So the bracket really broke this morning, the plan was to take it off this evening to get it welded Now it's coming off tomorrow and will hopefully be welded on Wednesday, interested to see how this goes...

My Cars
    00 323it, 01 540, 06 x5
    Installed new pump today,, I think I need to go back and install new crush washers , slow drip on the big line.
    I never look for trouble. If it looks for me, I'm usually around

My Cars
    E34 M5
    My power steering comes and goes....
    1991 M5 (in progress)

Restoring an old BMW, God help me.

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofearspear View Post
    Installed new pump today,, I think I need to go back and install new crush washers , slow drip on the big line.
    Did you use new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
    My power steering comes and goes....
    Sounds like your actual pump is bad ?

My Cars
    E39 8/stick
    A month or so after I bought my car in 2006, I fueled up at a gas station, got back in the car, turned the key to start her, and BAM!. Sheared the PS pump right off.

The belt did not break, but the PS pump was toasted and unrepairable. Only having the car for about a month, and with absolutely no experience working on her aside from an oil and spark plug change, I cut the belt off with a pocket knife, drove four miles home, and then had her towed to BMW to the tune of about $780.

Everything I've read about the problem generally relates to cars with manual transmissions, and having turned the ignition off before the car comes to a complete stop. This is exactly what I did right before mine broke as well, but my story may be anecdotal at best seeing as how I don't fully understand the correlation...

Just passing along my experience and limited understanding...

The upshot is: Aside from a few flat tires, I had absolutely zero problems after that until this past winter (over four years!).

My Cars
    00 323it, 01 540, 06 x5
    [QUOTE=98 528i;20012092]Did you use new ones
    No, tried to get away with using the old ones.
    I never look for trouble. If it looks for me, I'm usually around

My Cars
    540i; Cherokee
    Happened to me too!

I think one of the bolts loosened, leaving the other bolt as the only attachment. At some point the mount sheared, leaving the pump cockeyed, belt slipped off on start-up.

Fortunately, the damage stopped there and I fixed it with a $100 used pump. Brutal!

My Cars
    F30 Msport, Jeep JK
    Never seen or really heard of it....more m54 ps pump shafts sheering with the non updated pumps.
    ??????????????????????????????
    BMW Tech

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Forgot to report back, I ended up just buying a new pump.

My Cars
    98 Prelude 5spd
    yea, you have to be very careful with installing the PS pump. I was in Gumbi's shop when it was discovered, niether he or I knew what could have caused it. WE both thought it was a bottom out, but we both knew that didn't make any sense. I took pics, and I see that one of the bolts was not installed properly by the previous owner, and it sheared off after getting too loose.

Let that serve as a warning to us I guess.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 540i -SOLD
    Thanks for the tip!

My Cars
    540i

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    I'm going to check these today. I recently had my PS pump changed out with a used one, working with a friend. I'm getting belt squeal and some strange squeaks... so I'll see if anything loosened up. Thanks!

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    WTF... I had no idea this was so common. I'll check mine later.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    02 530i
    is this a 540 thing or should i check mine also?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    While we're on the topic...

Sometimes when making tight right (probably left too) turns I hear a noise coming from the engine area - possibly like a electrical motor straining... Is it safe to assume this is my pump or another part? Are there some tests I can do to nail it down?

Thanks for the tip by the way, I'll make sure to check this since I'm due to crawl under the car and do an oil change anyways.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by geordan View Post
    While we're on the topic...

Sometimes when making tight right (probably left too) turns I hear a noise coming from the engine area - possibly like a electrical motor straining... Is it safe to assume this is my pump or another part? Are there some tests I can do to nail it down?

Thanks for the tip by the way, I'll make sure to check this since I'm due to crawl under the car and do an oil change anyways.
    This sounds like it's just a standard power steering pump noise when it is straining. You should check your power steering fluid however to make sure there is sufficient fluid in the System.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    99 540it, 82 528e
    LUCAS POWER STEERING LUBRICANT?
    ive used it on my 528 but im kinda sceptical to use it on the 540.... considering i already have a fault code for the power steering FML again! omg! i think im going back to the supra scene. i hate my car right now!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast