Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 5.0 V8 Build Thread

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

E36 5.0 V8 Build Thread

Well, I finally got my lower end back from the machine shop so I decided to start my thread. I have never even driven this car and I am new to BMWs. I have completed two V8 swaps into an 1985 S10 and 1999 Ford Ranger (pics of Ranger here: http://community.webshots.com/user/fendbass22). I wanted something different that wasn't a truck. I searched Youtube for V8 swaps and this one caught my eye. Found 1994 325i for cheap money with blown tranny.

Stripping down the engine bay to paint it calypso red. Thats the color I like best. Easier to paint now with everything out.

Taped off and painted.

Custom brackets I made on my homemade CNC mill. Moves the bracket up and to the right about 1.5"

Engine bay with new mounts. Clutch line and pedals installed. The car was an automatic. Bought pedals off another member here.

Back from machine shop. Forged Keith Black pistons, bigger ARP rod studs, rotating assembly balanced, punched out .030"

Heads and rocker studs on and torqued after checking piston-to-valve clearance. Trick Flow Twisted Wedge.

1.6 Rockers on and adjusted.

Lower intake torqued and covers hand tightened for now since I will have to prelube valve train before firing.

More for later.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is

Thumbs up

Nice, I'll be watching this closely as I plan on starting my 5.0 build later this year. Since it seems like you've really thought this out, I have some questions.

Did you make that bracket to accommodate a rear dumping exhaust?

What are you doing for a clutch?

How much power do you expect to put down?

Where did you source the motor from?

Thanks in advance

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Cool, good to see another 5.0 swap.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    This looks like a great build already! Can't wait to see more as it progresses.

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeodude View Post
    Nice, I'll be watching this closely as I plan on starting my 5.0 build later this year. Since it seems like you've really thought this out, I have some questions.

Did you make that bracket to accommodate a rear dumping exhaust?

What are you doing for a clutch?

How much power do you expect to put down?

Where did you source the motor from?

Thanks in advance
    I made the bracket to try and get the brake lines and ABS pump away from the header and/or exhaust however I am planning on running it. At the moment I have twin turbo mount stainless headers I am going to try and make work. I like them because if I flip them over (rectangle flange meant for turbo facing down) I may be able to make it work on the drivers side. This swap has been done a few times and this seems to be the biggest problem. I have a few ideas up my sleeve I am going to try.

I am using the slave cylinder stated in the swap manual and aluminum master cylinder off eBay for late model E36's. The plastic one will not work. I am going to fab a custom slave bracket for the tranny hopefully Friday. The clutch will be a Centerforce DF.

I expect around 300-320rwhp. The motor, tranny, entire wire harness and computer from a running Foxbody. I put an ad on craigslist looking for complete drivetrain that I need to remove.When I got home I realized the motor looks like it had been overheated a few times and when I tore it down I found out it had. I decided to go with all Trick Flow which is something I want to do with my Ranger and never did.

The exhaust is going to be the hardest part.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 07-21-2010 at 09:03 PM.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Hell, go ahead and put some turbos on it.... that'd be a first as far as I know. Turbo Five-oh, E-thirty six.......sorta rolls off the tongue, nicely.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    sweet

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    Hell, go ahead and put some turbos on it.... that'd be a first as far as I know. Turbo Five-oh, E-thirty six.......sorta rolls off the tongue, nicely.
    I couldn't imagine. And to think I am questioning the strength of the rear end right now... NA for now and see how it goes!

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    Looks great! I need to start back in on mine.

OBDI CES cutring S52 /86.5mm 11:5.1 , eagle rods
    TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

Cut up tunnel to fit T5 shifter.

Motor mounts.

Water pump, fuel rails and hard line for coolant on intake installed. BBK adjustable FPR and 24lb injectors. Still debating putting all the accessories on since it will probably be easier to fab exhaust with it all off. We'll see. Won't be making any more progress until Saturday.

My Cars
    E39
    just put 2 little gt30's on it, the rear will hold. =)

My Cars
    94' 325is
    V8 swops is so dumb..........UH so Jealous.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Subscribed because of this one using some decent heads!

Curious whether you're going to put an aggressive cam in there and cap it off with an intake top-half that can really breathe?

The LSx swaps are REALLY cool, but there is something about the sound of a little small block Ford when it's breathing that really appeals to me. I had a really nice carburetted .020" over 302 with a big hydraulic cam in it (in an '86 Mustang), and that was one of my favorite motors I've had. It made 390ish crank HP on the engine dyno at about 6,250 IIRC, and it was a riot in that car that weighed 3,050 as driven to work.

So, I suggest throw a healthy cam at this sucker!

Quote Originally Posted by Fendbass22 View Post
    my homemade CNC mill.
    Care to elaborate a little on this?
    Last edited by tptrsn; 07-25-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

E36 5.0 V8 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Subscribed because of this one using some decent heads!

Curious whether you're going to put an aggressive cam in there and cap it off with an intake top-half that can really breathe?

The LSx swaps are REALLY cool, but there is something about the sound of a little small block Ford when it's breathing that really appeals to me. I had a really nice carburetted .020" over 302 with a big hydraulic cam in it (in an '86 Mustang), and that was one of my favorite motors I've had. It made 390ish crank HP on the engine dyno at about 6,250 IIRC, and it was a riot in that car that weighed 3,050 as driven to work.

So, I suggest throw a healthy cam at this sucker!

Care to elaborate a little on this?
    I had put the engine and tranny in the car today. It fits so well it's surprising. My issue is definitely going to be the drivers side header (figured). I will post pictures tomorrow when I get time.

I am using the TFS stage 1 cam. Everyone says go with the stage 2 but it barely idles and drives around town hard for an extra 10hp. I'm planning on keeping AC and all the perks of a BMW and want to keep it driveable. Using TFS street heat lower and upper intake.

I made my ABS brackets and clutch slave brackets on my homemade CNC mill. I will send you links to the vids. If you follow look in my webshots albums it is in there as well or search Fendbass22 on YouTube for the vids.
    E36 5.0 Coyote DOHC V8 Swap - Build Thread Here

My Cars
    E39
    TFS1 is a good cam, I had one in my fox

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

E36 5.0 V8 Build Thread

LSX guys - is the stock fuel pump sufficient?
    E36 5.0 Coyote DOHC V8 Swap - Build Thread Here

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    search Fendbass22 on YouTube for the vids.
    I'll look, thanks!

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    i'm using my stock fuel pump and its works just fine on my 6.0 liter

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

Cutting out bracket for slave cylinder.

Painted, welded, installed.

Engine and tranny mated. I spent half a day finding flywheel dowel pins because they were not given back to me after resurfacing. Probably should have cleaned up the transmission but oh well.

Hoisting it in.

Clearance on passenger side.

Clearance driver side.

Another.

Nearly a 1/4" space all the way around. Its like it was meant to be there!

Thanks to the insane length of the M50 there is plenty of room for a 4 cylinder length engine.

Shifter location.

Its in!

Still researching header options. I am thinking now buying long tubes and a few mandrel bends to see if I can modify some. Still not sure. Going on vacation starting Friday so I will order parts and have them so I can work on it the following weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mateo m3 View Post
    i'm using my stock fuel pump and its works just fine on my 6.0 liter
    How much rwhp is that putting out? This will give me an idea if I will be ok.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 07-27-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39
    Good progress, that thing looks right at home in there!

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

I was thinking a set of these just because they would be easy to modify. However, they look very restrictive. Thoughts?

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    WOW! Quick Work... I envy the 5.0 guys who are MUCH further ahead of us LS1 guys....

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    WOW! Quick Work... I envy the 5.0 guys who are MUCH further ahead of us LS1 guys....
    Yea until now. I am having huge issues finding a solution for headers. Everytime I think I am getting somewhere there is a road block of some sort. Are all LSX swap guys using Vorchlag headers?

The frustrating part is I have everything I need and could have this running tomorrow if I worked through the night IF the exhaust was complete.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 07-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    well you have to build custom headers, or a custom steering shaft using 3 u joints like i did. why didn't you place the engine back some more,

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Are all LSX swap guys using Vorchlag headers?
    Custom, but not Vorshlag.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast