Thread: OEM AngelEyes question

My Cars
    03 525i sport, 98 m3

OEM AngelEyes question

anybody know if you can use the harness to turn on the AE's when u lock and unlock the car? they're the stock rings, just changed the bulbs.. would be nice to have them light up when i unlock the car. i know a lot of people that have these on e46's.
    ojE39

My Cars
    02 540i M-Sport

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    I did it on mine--it's really easy; just run a wire from the lights, and tap into your puddle lights. After you find the correct wire in that buldging mess under the dash, maybe a 20-min. job... Other than some wire and t-taps, no aftermarket parts required.

Here's a short vid of them in action:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MOV01417.mp4
    Last edited by milkyslims; 11-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    2001 525i (Jet Black) | De-badged | White AngeliBright v3.0 (remote turn-on wired--INFO) | GromAudio Aux Input | DDM Blackout Grilles(PICS)
    Hoen Xenon-Match Fog Bulbs | White LED interior/trunk/plate lights | Chrome Gauge Rings | Chrome E-brake Handle | DDM Aluminum Pedals(REVIEW)
    M5 trunk spoiler | Smoked Side Markers | Black/White Emblems | 10" RF P3 Sub w/Custom Fiberglass Enclosure(WRITE-UP)

My Cars
    1991 acura legend
    wow did u buy the part from ddm or just ran your own wire?

Chitown7

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebmw83 View Post
    wow did u buy the part from ddm or just ran your own wire?

Just ran my own wire...
    2001 525i (Jet Black) | De-badged | White AngeliBright v3.0 (remote turn-on wired--INFO) | GromAudio Aux Input | DDM Blackout Grilles(PICS)
    Hoen Xenon-Match Fog Bulbs | White LED interior/trunk/plate lights | Chrome Gauge Rings | Chrome E-brake Handle | DDM Aluminum Pedals(REVIEW)
    M5 trunk spoiler | Smoked Side Markers | Black/White Emblems | 10" RF P3 Sub w/Custom Fiberglass Enclosure(WRITE-UP)

My Cars
    1991 acura legend
    Quote Originally Posted by milkyslims View Post
    Just ran my own wire...
    can you give a diy on how to go about this, please i would love to do this and i have a lot of wire from work that i can use. pics would be nice if u have the time, this is such a cool feature.

Chitown7

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    I learned how to do it from a thread on these forums. I'll see if I can find it again(feel free to search yourself in the meantime), and if not, I'll just write a quick write-up about how I did it. But seriously, man, if you can connect two wires together, you can do this. All you are doing is running a wire from the positive wire of the puddle light to the positive wire of the angel eyes--nothing more to it. That will give the lights power when you lock/unlock the car, as well as when you open the doors--essentially, any time the puddle lights are on, the angel eyes will be on.

cheers,
    ~m.

My Cars
    1991 acura legend
    ok thx milky

Chitown7

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    ok thx milky
    No worries, bud.

Here is the thread that I learned from:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=976731

Oops! I forgot about the diode... Looks like you're going to have to spend some money to do this mod: a whopping $2!!!

There's a lot of useful information in the entire thread, but there's a small write-up from some guy who did it on his '01 540 that starts at post #61, on page 3.

Give it a shot, and if you still have questions, let me know, and I'll answer them as best I can. Really, finding the correct wire for the puddle light in that mess of wires underneath the dash is the ONLY hard part of the mod.

Good luck!
    Last edited by milkyslims; 07-17-2010 at 11:05 PM.

My Cars
    1991 acura legend
    No worries, bud.

Here is the thread that I learned from:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=976731

Oops! I forgot about the diode... Looks like you're going to have to spend some money to do this mod: a whopping $2!!!

There's a lot of useful information in the entire thread, but there's a small write-up from some guy who did it on his '01 540 that starts at post #61, on page 3.

Give it a shot, and if you still have questions, let me know, and I'll answer them as best I can. Really, finding the correct wire for the puddle light in that mess of wires underneath the dash is the ONLY hard part of the mod.

Good luck!
    thx

Chitown7

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    thx

np; let us know how it turns out!

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    My 2 cents.
    A while ago a guy posted up pics of his engine all cleaned up n all. The only thing that raised eyebrows was the fact he'd run 2 red wires from his h/lights back through the firewall. Can't remember what he'd done, probably the same as mentioned above.

But the thing I remember is, he had spoiled an otherwise perfect engine presentation with 2 god awfull stand out like dogs nuts on a canary, red wires.

So please proceed with nothing but black (non glossy) wires to afore mentioned a/eyes. And keep them tidy and discreet.

What a great tip and extension on utilising a/eyes to the max.
    GL

My Cars
    03 525i sport, 98 m3
    I did it on mine--it's really easy; just run a wire from the lights, and tap into your puddle lights. After you find the correct wire in that buldging mess under the dash, maybe a 20-min. job... Other than some wire and t-taps, no aftermarket parts required.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MOV01417.flv
    so did u use the ddm relay harness??

Quote Originally Posted by ojE39 View Post
    so did u use the ddm relay harness??
    sorry i meant to ask , would it be easier running ur own wires, or using the ddm relay??
    Last edited by ojE39; 07-18-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ojE39

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojE39 View Post
    sorry i meant to ask , would it be easier running ur own wires, or using the ddm relay??

Well, since I've never used the harness, I really can't say for sure(I don't even know exactly what the DDM thingy does--the info on their product page is pretty vague...); but, you're just running one wire through the firewall, about 4 feet... dunno how it gets any easier than that, lol. What I am sure about is that it's a hell of a lot cheaper to run your own wires!

Cheers,
    ~m.
    Last edited by milkyslims; 07-18-2010 at 10:20 PM.

My Cars
    07 BMW M5 & 07 R1
    hmmmmmmm thx for the info ... i might do that soon!!

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    A couple people have been telling me they still don't understand this, so I made a quick diagram that hopefully will help some of you out:

(click for larger image)

This is just the "basics" of the connections; I intentionally left out wire colors because I think they may vary from year to year within the same model(e.g., E39, E46, etc.). This way, with the general knowledge of the connections, you can apply that to whatever your particular wire colors may be, once you figure those out.

Cheers,
    ~m.
    Last edited by milkyslims; 07-19-2010 at 06:47 PM.