Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RVAE34/five&dime's 92 E34 (the saga continues)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31

RVAE34/five&dime's 92 E34 (the saga continues)

I figured I would start a thread of the whole journey of the E34. Compiled and then continued upon. Many of you have witnessed my threads back and forth about turbo, selling her etc. But after 5 years she continues to stay with me even to the absolute disbelief of all my closest friends.

See I have always been a bit of a car whore. I think I have had 15 from the time I was 15 to now (turned 31 in May). I won many bets after the E34 was in my garage for 2 years +. Prior to that 2 years was the longest I ever owned a car.

I still have lots of cars I want to build and enjoy checking them off the list but this has been my favorite. I fell in love with the design in HS and always wanted one since....

So here goes.

1992 525/5 speed with black interior. When I got the car it was already lowered but retained stock shocks. The ACS's were replicas and the euro trim was pitted. It had 540 mirrors and Mtech sideskirts as well.

I removed the M50 non vanos in favor of the M52 vanos with the goal of going turbo. I re-built the 97 or 98 motor with BMW bearings, rings, gaskets etc. ARP headstuds, S52 cams, OBDI intake manifold, 93 vanos harness, red label 413 DME, UUC stage I M3 clutch with resurfaced M3 flywheel. I also had oil bungs welded to the oil filter housing and oil pan for turbo feed/return.

The stock shocks were shot so I added Koni sports. Also added Powerflex subframe bushings with grease fittings, Kmac adjustable trailing arm bushings and poly thrust arm bushings. Next on the plate is guibo and M5 LSD diff.

I replaced 2 of the ACS type III reps with real ones as they were bent but the others look wider so I use those in the rear. I want to pick 2 more up just in case but they are pricey.... Sumitomo HTRZII's in 245/40/18

I added an HID kit but hated it so I decided to go for it and do the TSX retrofit. It wasn't that hard and is the single greatest mod I have ever done (next to the M52/S52 cams of course )

I got some 95 door panels and sanded down the wood trim. Using PPG products, I primed, painted and cleared them in black followed by wetsanding and high speed buffing. Same treatment went to the exterior window pillars. I re-did the headliner in a black suede along with the interior A, B & C pillars. The rear deck was rear done in a black UV protectant carpet.

I upgraded the alternator to a 150 amp IIRC. The entire coolant system including heater core has been replaced. I would like to get all new A/C components some day soon. Would also like a new OEM steering box but know that will be serious coin

That's about it for now....

Just got 540/6 sport seats and the rear seat from the car as well. Looks much better than stock. Ordered saddle grade Lexol PH cleaner, restorer and conditioner today as well

Last edited by five&dime; 03-05-2011 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    Awesome! I remember this car from BavAuto quite a few years ago now. You sir, do work!
    So you're going to go turbo now or what's the plan?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    That is the plan finally.. two of my friends are brothers and own a huge shop with a dyno, CNC, turbo parts gallore etc. They agreed to do the plumbing and intercooler so I will order the rest of the parts this weekend and then when they have time, let them have at it.... Hopefully it will finally happen

My Cars
    Fives
    Beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Spacers in the rear! and maybe smaller ones in the front? Do you know what your springs are? Also howbouta DIY with the headlights?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I have a DIY on it somewhere on bimmerforums.

I know... I keep thinking about spacers but never get them. I was thinking 10 mil but maybe 15.

My Cars
    Fives
    It doesn't need spacers. It looks damned near perfect as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Quote Originally Posted by five&dime View Post
    I have a DIY on it somewhere on bimmerforums.

I know... I keep thinking about spacers but never get them. I was thinking 10 mil but maybe 15.
    I just got 15mm in the rear and front and it put both the front and back to flush. Other than that, one of the best looking cars on the forum. Good job

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    The front does not need spacers. It's almost flush

My Cars
    BMW E34

wow this is your car! I always look at this picture in the bavauto magazine and say... my car will look like this one day

My Cars
    and trucks
    See this car time to time folks and it always looks as good in person.

You interested in being paid to do the TSX swap into a set of lights?

And I still need a ride in it.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Any time. You should come up to the Huguenot Starbucks Friday nights around 9pm. Lots of cool car guys come out.

I could possibly be talked into the TSX swap for the right price.

My Cars
    and trucks
    Any time. You should come up to the Huguenot Starbucks Friday nights around 9pm. Lots of cool car guys come out.

I could possibly be talked into the TSX swap for the right price.
    Good to hear thats up and going again. I know a few guys who will be interested. Have you ever gotten on rivercitybimmers.com? Its still abnormally small but all of the active local guys are on it. Trying to get a drive together sometime soon. You interested in going to Mass for the meet on the 25th?

And about the lights, I'll catch up to you in person about it. By the time I get the E30 running the mechanics will be good, interior is already good, body isn't worth fixing. So I'll finally have some room for mods hahah.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    My wedding reception party is the 24th so bad timing. Wish I could. I will check out the site. I think I joined years ago when it first started but it was too small.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. It's a great car and I have poured my blood, sweat and tears (&wallet) into her....

My Cars
    Too Many
    Keep it up man... You haven't been around a while...

I was thinking about you the other day. Just snagged an M52 bottom end with 60k miles from a buddy of mine who owns a local Indy shop and Im gathering parts for the M52 Vanos build for my 6 cyl car. Looking forward to a little bit better fuel mileage and more useable power for the DD. The 540 on the other hand is fine for a while... It will receive a Super charger once some house projects are completed. Its just a garage queen with the occasional drive on the sunny days.

My Cars
    Scrap
    get an m5 plate filler. you will be super happy with the look.
    Great looking car!

My Cars
    and trucks
    Shoot I keep forgetting to ask, whats wrong with the passenger side rear seat belt cover? I've got a black set if you want it. Along with a few boxes of E34 parts I'm trying to get rid of. Just ask if something electric or interior breaks.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    1988 BMW 530i
    Hi, I don't post very often, but oh my god. I don't know if it was the dirty stripped down engine that first turned me on or the fact that your car is 100% perfect like the girl in "she's out of my league", either way something made it move 'down there'.

Please, no more pictures, I have to work tomorrow.

Nice f-ing car!!!!!!

My Cars
    95 M5, Euro S50 E30
    Good to see you decided to keep the E34. You have a great car and one that would take a long time and significant amount of effort to attain again.

You mention freshening the steering... might want to give these guys a call as they do ZF reman work here in the states at about 20% of the price going reman through BMW -

Remsteering - http://www.remsteering.com/store/pc/...?idCategory=72

My Cars
    e34 528iT/5 obdI parting
    I can't even believe that it was wrecked way back when. You've been through so much with it. Glad to see you're still keeping it and moving forward with your original plans.

Any links to m52 swap? I'm looking into one now...

PARTING MY TOURING-
    M52/ZF trans/3.23LSD/MtechII/RD suspension/ACS wheels/'95 door panels/smileys/HID's/etc.

current- possible m sport

past-
    '92 525iT- motor/trans swappage/rust/big wheels
    '95 540i/6- rust.
    '95 525iT- Mike Wang
    '89 535i- gone but not forgotten
    '92 525i- auto suck tragic
    '93 525i/5- k.i.a.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Damn near perfect.

My Cars
    1970 BMW 2002, 1985 M635
    so fresh so clean clean
    1994 530iA

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I think I do have an M52 swap some where on here. I will have to dig through my threads.

Thanks for the tip grim!! I will give them a call. Curious if anyone has ever swapped an E39 rack system in.

Edit:

TSX swap- not the best diy thread but...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=920947

Oddly enough I don't have an M52 swap thread. Dunno how that is possible....

It was pretty easy. M52, S52 cams, 93 vanos harness, red label 413 DME, the coolant temp sensor plug had to be slightly altered as it went from 2 sensors to 1 in the head. Then there were 2 knock sensors instead of one IIRC on the M52 which also had to be spliced. If going from M50 non vanos to M52 vanos, you also need the M50 vanos valve cover and timing cover as well as the M50 vanos oil filter housing. I also used my OBDI intake manifold of course.

The engine went from 193 fly HP to 200 RWHP
    Last edited by five&dime; 07-15-2010 at 06:37 PM.

My Cars
    90 535/4/5 + 93 540/5/6
    I keep forgetting you're in RVa. I wanna see this car IRL soon plz.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast