Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ: BimmerClinic E36 LS2 Conversion w/ NAHR parts - pic intensive Progress Thread!!

My Cars
    e36 325i, M3 vert, Ridge

NJ: BimmerClinic E36 LS2 Conversion w/ NAHR parts - pic intensive Progress Thread!!

Ok, this thread was a long time coming. I started a teaser thread some time back in the Regional Section of the forums, but since we are at full bore now, I’ll start a new one in the Conversion section.

By me (Central Jersey), there is a shortage of cool e36 engine swaps (at least that I know of). A while back I was interested in switching out the M50 in my 1993 325i with a S50 or S52 with low miles. I had hard time finding one, and a couple of deals fell through when I thought I had one. So I started playing around with the idea of throwing an LS engine in there. I had been going to Bill and Co. over at BimmerClinic in Elizabeth, NJ for a while and knew they were top notch, so when I approached Bill about putting an American muscle engine into the e36 he was all for it…I knew I could trust them as they have done both regular maintenance and modifications to my e36s for a while, and I know Bill is always up for a challenge.

Jeff getting ready to pull the S50 out:

Jeff, Brett and Mike from the BimmerClinic (Bill and Matt were MIA for this photo):

Early on when I started looking around for parts and a drivetrain, I was doing a lot of comparisons between the different LS engines, as well as the different companies that offered prefabricated swap kits for the conversion. I spoke with a couple different companies and I will say that one of the most impressive by far when it came to customer service and parts quality was New Age Hotrods. Joe at NAHR is one of the most knowledgeable I’ve come across when it comes to these builds; his e36 LS6 supercharged build is all over the internet and speaking with him his level of technical expertise when it comes to mating GM parts to BMWs was amazing. The guy knew parts numbers of the top of his head for both(!) The parts that NAHR offers are no joke, CNC’ed and BUILT to last. INCREDIBLE stuff, really. NAHR even offers a service where they can source a drive train for you, or if you’d rather, than can do a turn-key installation. I knew I wanted Bill and his boys in my corner for this, so I decided to get the NAHR parts.

I was initially on the hunt for an LS1 with a T56 out of the same car. Having talked to a few guys and doing some reading I started to get pretty interested in the LS2 and LS6 for the extra power it could provide in stock form. I ended up with an incredible deal on an almost new LS2 except for the fact that it didn’t have a tranny attached to it. Since it was so new, I decided to purchase a brand new Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed tranny.

(Yes that is a vintage 2002 series in the background)

The NAHR parts started to roll in (these are not all the parts, just the mounts. More came in but I couldn't photograph them and the bigger parts - stainless headers, drive shaft, etc are being brought when NAHR comes down to help with the project):

The guys at BimmerClinic started to gut my car, and went the whole nine yards from there. The car was really clean to begin with, but any small indications of rust starting was stopped in its tracks and treated. Seam sealant cleaned out and new sealant meticulously laid down where needed. Rust proofing treatment on the entire underside. Thermo-Tec barrier will be laid down once test fitting is complete.

Jeff just wanted me to add this picture so the girls could see his herculean arms:

Any Good parts that could be salvaged off a donor M3 (for added support and durability over the 3 series parts) were cleaned, treated and if it would enhance the appearance, color matched with epoxy paint for use in the 3 series.

Now since we started laying the ground for a no-holds barred build, I started to stock pile all the parts for a killer e36. With Bill's help, we ordered all new OEM M3 parts, or if a superior aftermarket part was available, we ordered it. For example -
    · Bilstein PSS-9
    · Ground Control adjustable Rear Arms
    · Turner adjustable front sway links
    · Eibach sway bar kit
    · Powerflex bushings
    · Rogue Engineering rear shockmounts
    · Perfection D2 Performance Clutch and Flywheel for the T56- Magnum
    · Porsche (Brembo) BBK on all four corners with E46 M3 CSL rotors (thanks Eric @ Rallyroad.net) with Stoptech SS brakelines

That’s just some of the stuff, but you get the picture…

I’ll be moving my BBS RSGT’s onto this car as well.

I’m sure Bill will be glad when this project is over…he will have a good portion of the BimmerClinic real estate back.

Test fitting of mounts, engine and tranny has begun. Look at the beefiness of the NAHR parts- CNC'd aluminum and built like a brick f'ckn house...the engine and tranny are going NOWHERE once final mounting is done:

Joe and his brother Josh, the heart of NAHR, will be coming down with some of the bigger parts such as their newly offered stainless steel headers, fuel line conversion kit, and some other choice pieces and will be helping out the BimmerClinic team while they are here. They’ll be lending their expertise in the wiring and programming as well, and I'm sure to get more pics of their visit and update this thread...

Anyhow, this thread will be used to document the work that is going into this build. MUCH care and attention is being put into this project from BimmerClinic, and New Age Hotrods has been incredibly helpful and is slated to come down so they can get their hands dirty on this project too. This is all new to me. Though I’m pretty familiar with the e36, I’ve come to find that the conversion to the LS1 is a very different beast. Most of you guys who frequent the Engine Conversion section of Bimmerforums know that mounts, cooling system, fuel line, drive by wire, etc all need to be switched out when you transplant the LS2. Without saying, Bill and the boys at BimmerClinic are experts with the Bavarian side of things, and Joe is helping out with the Chevy side of things. I’m trying to keep things together with all the efforts that are going into this, and I know the BimmerClinic crew and NAHR Team are always incredibly busy with all the other projects and work they got going on. But this promises to be one kick ass ride when it’s done….Bill is even going brainstorming for a bad ass custom exhaust. I’ve sort of given him free reign to challenge himself and really put his skills to the test on this one. I can’t wait to see what happens.

For reference, I’m hoping to get somewhere in the area of 650 HP out of this when it’s done, with the help of a supercharger (if I can afford it) and a tune. Don't undersestimate these American engines though, even bolt on mods have a much greater effect on the American V8's than they do on most of the European stuff. You guys in the Conversion section know that already tho. I plan on showing the build at some shows, and also being raced a bit on the drag strip (not the street). The car has always been babied since I had it, but now it’s going to get a full makeover inside and out.

This thread is being created to document the build – all of the care that BimmerClinic is putting into this and build with top shelf e36 parts and the unmatched conversion kit and technical expertise on e36 LS swaps that NAHR brings to the table. For those of who are reading this section, hopefully this will give you an idea of the amount of detail and attention that NAHR puts into their stuff, and for those in the Northeast, this thread will prove that Bill and the boys at BimmerClinic really put everything into their work and stand behind it.

Stay tuned for more to come on this conversion, it will be updated as the build progresses…it promises to impress.

Last edited by ChiChiBo; 07-15-2010 at 11:43 AM.

My Cars
    2014 Equinox, 2003 525i
    :slowclap

Very amazing bro!

I was thinking of doing an LS swap into the E39 earlier, but that would have run me between $25k and $30k in parts alone (900hp if my calculations were correct)
    Last edited by FknNice; 07-14-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Still owes Sparkchaser a box of beer

My Cars
    E28, 97' M3/4
    BimmerClinic FTW. My car is mixed in somewhere down there too.

This thing is gunna be so sick when its done.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Pretty parts!

What's dude cutting on in the area of the ABS unit?

ayton is offline Rabbit in your headlights
    My Cars
    325ti, '14 Outback 6spd
    In for the build and updates! looks like a top notch effort.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    new age has some nice parts

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    Alright! Another LS2 E36 near me. I'm in the Philly region not too far away from and travel to NY/NJ all the time. I might have to stop by to check out your car if you don't mind.

One request: Please don't supercharge your LS2. The whole point with the LSx is the big HP/TQ with naturally aspirated reliability. My combo is a 427 LS2 with a TR6060 (pic in the sig.) transmission. Lightweight chassis, great suspension, fun power.

Great opening post. Keep the details coming.

John
    E36 LS2

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynor View Post
    One request: Please don't supercharge your LS2. The whole point with the LSx is the big HP/TQ with naturally aspirated reliability. My combo is a 427 LS2 with a TR6060 (pic in the sig.) transmission. Lightweight chassis, great suspension, fun power.
    X2!!!!

My Cars
    e36 325i, M3 vert, Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynor View Post
    Alright! Another LS2 E36 near me. I'm in the Philly region not too far away from and travel to NY/NJ all the time. I might have to stop by to check out your car if you don't mind.

Great opening post. Keep the details coming.

John
    E36 LS2
    Awesome...would be great to check your ride out too. I take it by the pic in your avatar, its not street legal?

I was doing some research and I think I can get to 620-650 naturally aspirated with some bolt ons, porting the heads, intake manifold upgrade, etc. I know that Rao (Rob) did his last LS2 with NA mods and got some good numbers.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    This is going to be interesting. Keep it comming
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Sweet build. The NAHR parts look fantastic!

As a fan of FI, a whipplecharger would be entirely sick. The edelbrock e-force is a good unit too. Then again, the engines make sick power N/A, car won't be a slouch either way....

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Those are great systems, but I have a feeling that the hood clearance for them would SUCK.... cutting the hood on the e36 = ugly

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiChiBo View Post
    Awesome...would be great to check your ride out too. I take it by the pic in your avatar, its not street legal?

I was doing some research and I think I can get to 620-650 naturally aspirated with some bolt ons, porting the heads, intake manifold upgrade, etc. I know that Rao (Rob) did his last LS2 with NA mods and got some good numbers.
    Correct, not street legal. I don't want to muck up your thread with pics but I'll link you to some shortly. That kind of power N/A is achievable but not likely with stock cubes. I'm still learning the LS motor so I'd be the wrong person to ask for the "right" combo to make that kind of power though.

If you ever run your car at NJMP, you'll find me there a lot to check out the car. I'm interested in checking out Bimmer Clinic as well so just might bring it with me when I get the time as well.

John

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    subscribed to see final result. one question though with that transmission, do you have to enlarge shifter tunnel opening for the shifter to be centered and in original location?

My Cars
    91 318is, 99 M Coupe
    I just got a new camera, Ill be up there on Saturday and I will shoot alot of pics of little details and all the goods.

I cant wait for this thing to be done! lots of hard work has gone into this project. Hopefully Chi will lay some strips down Trumbull street
    Last edited by Friedman; 07-19-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Im retarded

My Cars
    e36 325i, M3 vert, Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedman View Post
    I just got a new camera, Ill be up there on Saturday and I will shoot alot of pics of little details and all the goods.

I cant wait for this thing to be done! lots of hard work has gone into this project. Hopefully Chi will lay some strips down Trumbull street
    Awesome Matt, thanks! You are obviously more skilled at the picture taking than I am...maybe you can video tape the first cranking over...

Your right lots of blood, sweat and tears into this, and I can't wait either!!!!

My Cars
    3xxti
    seen this in person and its coming along very well....good luck..

My Cars
    E28, 97' M3/4
    Stopped by yesterday to pick something up and drop something off and checked it out again.

Chi your car is going to be beyond ridiculous when its done. The wurth on the underbody looks so damn good. I want to do the same thing one day.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    subscribed for more details.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    330 Ci ZHP, 1997 M3/RIP
    I forgot about this swap - what has happened since July?

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Looks great!

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    95 M3
    To the builders:

Don't forget to reinforce the engine mounting areas of the front crossmember - maybe its done already, but the pictures don't clearly show whether it has doubler plates or not.

Other than that, rock on! Nice kit.

Matt
    Matt Nucci
    6/94 E36 M3 Cosmos CP

My Cars
    some crap
    what kind of cost are you looking at for this project?
    This is my Signature.

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    Any progress? i am very interested to see how this goes with your swap, as i am thinking to go with ls2 as well.

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Beautiful no comprosie first class build.

Though I am cringing at this particular shot below. A grinder throwing sparks/metal shavings into the open fuse/relay center above, sparks into what appears to be open brake lines from the ABS directly next to the grinder, (The ABS pump and caliper seals don’t play well with metal shavings), open fuel tank vent line, sparks through the brake booster hole in the firewall with all the electrical connectors and electrical steering column components just on the other side, possibly getting into the carpet and into the seat tracks, the open heater lines at the firewall, the bottom end of the steering column bearings and the totally open A/C lines at the firewall behind the gentleman grinding, which will accumulate other foreign debris/moisture floating around the air in the shop, (can't see the fuel lines underneath).
    As mentioned, this is a first rate quality project, just be sure to disconnect your brake lines on the other end and thoroughly purge them, including the A/C lines and get them plugged right away, and dissemble the fuse center to get all the metal shavings out of it so they don’t create any future electrical gremlins and you should be fine.
    Otherwise, fantastic build.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiChiBo View Post
    Beuatiful build,

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast