Thread: engine light not working

My Cars
    1996 316i

engine light not working

hey guys, the engine light in my 316i isnt working. there was no globe in it (previous owner i guess).
    i placed a globe in it and the check light, turn the ignition to 2, and nothing.
    all my other lights work, just not the engine light.
    checked fuses=ok.
    any ideas?

My Cars
    '93 E36 318IS
    You're going to have to check the wiring behind the dash. As mentioned in your previous thread (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1491678), it's possible that your car is not wired to have the CEL come on at all. It seems to be only the US models that had this enabled for OBD I.

Pull the instrument cluster, and look at the wiring on the right-most (I think) plug (from the drivers perspective) and look for a grey wire.

Colours can vary, so it would be best if you can get a copy of the electrical diagrams from the Bentley manual and confirm which connector it is and work your way though identifying each of the wires running to that plug.

My Cars
    1996 316i
    thanks, will do. its good to know it may not be connected at all, atleast i know now that he hasnt deliberatly taken the light out to stop it annoying him ><

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Your car probably doesn't have a check engine light. Here is a DIY to wire it up: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-i-diy-t47837/

I am in the same situation, I thought about wiring up the convertible top or diesel glow plug light socket as a CEL. If you examine your idiot light stencil just left of the 4way flasher, there is no CEL stencil, so a bulb there wouldn't even show through.

My Cars
    '93 E36 318IS
    Nice, I'd been searching for that DIY for a while, to make it easier to wire mine up as well. :-)