Thread: Coding with DIS - ignition off and on

My Cars
    2000 328iA Touring

Coding with DIS - ignition off and on

Hi,

Found this lovely forums a couple of days ago, so this is my very first post

Anyway, I have tried to set up an old IBM T40 to do some coding with DIS. I have used the files from David MC's 4shared folder - thanks very much, and for all the sweet easy-to-follow guides found all over the forum from a lot of users... great stuff!

Previously I've used NCS for coding, which works fine, but of course I have to try to get DIS running as well. It communicates fine with the car, but I can't do the "Set vehicle" command, after I have chosen what I want to code. I have followed this thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1406749 but as mentioned I stall at the "Set vehicle" command. Instead of getting the "Vehicle is set" screen, I get the screen with tells you to turn ignition off and on, over and over.

I have tried to do as Katvis says about just turning the ignition completely off, but that's the same result.
    I use the USB interface from do-it-auto.de, if that matters.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Connect a battery charger to the car and try again, low voltage causes problems like this.

My Cars
    2000 328iA Touring
    A charger is already connected... what should the voltage be ?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I have the exact same problem. I also get no voltage on PIN30 or something like that....please let me know if you find a solution.

I tried what I read in another post which was only to switch the ignition off and that actually worked.
    Last edited by toddkageals; 06-27-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 328iA Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
    I have the exact same problem. I also get no voltage on PIN30 or something like that....please let me know if you find a solution.

I tried what I read in another post which was only to switch the ignition off and that actually worked.
    Sounds like you got your problem solved

I guess I'll have to go and try again, and be sure that the cars battery is properly charged before I connect, so that the voltage is as high as possible...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    FWIW...I had no voltage on PIN 30 on my Dell D600. I setup DIS on a T30 thinkpad and it sees the voltage at 13.8 so there must be some issue with the Dell. I read somewhere (but I can't find it now) that there is an issue with the Dell serial port and that you needed some sort of updated driver for it. I have not been able to find an updated driver OR the post that explained the problem.

Just wanted to throw something else in here! I was trying to code my PDC to set "message on"...just to see what that does?! Anyway....same problem as usual, was in the loop of switch on/off etc. . I tried telling it to "go" and then switching off as I had done with the DRLs but it did not work. Then I tried switching off, telling it to go, and then switching back on once the bar started to fill in and it worked! So....beats me....I wish one of our experts could figure out what's causing this and come up with a solution. I'm afraid I am going to screw something up monkeying around with it.
    Last edited by toddkageals; 06-30-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Brian,

Have you got it solved or not ?

I have completely same issue with the same cabling...

Thanks

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    I had difficulty getting the sequence right my first time with DIS and experienced the same issue. So maybe it's getting the selections in the right order? I can't remember well without the computer and car in front of me but seemed that When it said switch the ignition off I switch the key from position 2 (on) to position 1 (accy) then press YES on the DIS program then it would code. Or something like that.

My Cars
    McMerc
    I have a problem with coding in DIS too. After I have changed a setting with the car (seat position memory on unlock for instance) DIS says that the setting has changed but it doesn't work. When I go back into DIS the arrow is pointing to "SET" (or ON, I can't remember) but there is an asterix next to "NOT SET" (or whatever it is). Does this mean that the option isn't available?

Cheers.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I had this problem. I was using a cable that had been modified to show ignition and battery voltage full time. This turned out to be a problem. I suspect DIS was looking for the voltage to cycle, which it never will. I switched over to my first cable, ign and batt always "off", and it coded fine.

/.randy

My Cars
    316ti e46
    i had the same problem but to solve the problem i modified the cable ading a tranzistor with two rezistor depending of the integrated circuit that inteface have.if you need some help contact me.thanks

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sel The Don View Post
    I have a problem with coding in DIS too. After I have changed a setting with the car (seat position memory on unlock for instance) DIS says that the setting has changed but it doesn't work. When I go back into DIS the arrow is pointing to "SET" (or ON, I can't remember) but there is an asterix next to "NOT SET" (or whatever it is). Does this mean that the option isn't available?

Cheers.
    Firstly, this is my first post and a great big thanks to David MC and Randomy for excellent installation instructions for INPAA/Easy DIS

I also have this asterisk showing once I change a command - the asterisk may denote the "Default" setting perhaps?

So far I have coded the following successfully (2002 E39 530i):
    - Signal light Acknowledgement when locking the car
    - Changing display format for time from 24hr to 12hr
    - DRL

With the DRL's, it's not strictly DRL so to speak (on my E39). Upon changing this setting, all it allows me to do is to have the light switch at position 2 when switching off the car and the lights will turn OFF. When turning ON the car, the park/headlights will turn ON. Not exactly the idea I had with regards to DRL, but Easy DIS does explain this setting clearly in the "Notes" section.

Settings that have not worked (despite Easy DIS indicating as such):
    - Automatic door locking when reaching speed

The above feature was programmed however it does not work. Carsoft couldn't turn this feature ON for me either. I haven't messed around with the Key Memory section yet but perhaps there's hope yet.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Hey guys,

Well as somebody upper said. The issue in my case is that my USB OBD II cabling is premodified and it shows all the time 13,8V so in the real it does not scanning real voltage. Problem is that you cannot get signal from ignition to off in this case and this is the issue why it will not let us to continue most probably. I have found out as far as I have FTDI232RL chip that my pin 6 (batt) and pin 9(ign) on the chip are inverted and connected with the pin7 to the ground. So it is all the time simulating ign & batt as on and there is no way to turn to off except disconnecting USB cable from laptop.

There should be easy solution hopefully to add switch manually for pin 9(ign) to that way and solder it and then I should be able to manually switch ign on or off so situation should be solved.

I am just testing this idea so will later post if it was successfull.

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    Quote Originally Posted by caa84 View Post
    Settings that have not worked (despite Easy DIS indicating as such):
    - Automatic door locking when reaching speed

The above feature was programmed however it does not work. Carsoft couldn't turn this feature ON for me either. I haven't messed around with the Key Memory section yet but perhaps there's hope yet.
    I bet you have programmed the autolock feature on the Car memory & not the Key memory. To verify the setting you changed worked, first lock the car with the key by physically turning the key in the driver's door lock (this locks the car without arming the alarm). Then unlock the car with the key physically in the door lock again (if you don't lock the car with the key physically in the door you will set off the alarm when you open it). Drive off to reach 10mph (16kmph), I bet the doors will lock. This is the autlock feature that carsoft also chose to activate in their software.

If you want to set the car to autolock when you open the car with the remote on the key then you need to go back into DIS v44 (or Progman) & make the change to each key under the Key Memory menu. Hope this helps.
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Great post rebel.ranter! I've struggled with this all afternoon trying to demonstrate a simple programming success with my newly working Easy-DIS. I've activated/deactivated several times this feature several times. DIS indicates auto lock is active but doors didn't lock at 10 MPH. Good thing I found this very helpful post. Why in the world does the key need to be involved in activating auto door locks? Do I need to repeat this procedure with each key including the non-remote keys?

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    I bet you have programmed the autolock feature on the Car memory & not the Key memory. To verify the setting you changed worked, first lock the car with the key by physically turning the key in the driver's door lock (this locks the car without arming the alarm). Then unlock the car with the key physically in the door lock again (if you don't lock the car with the key physically in the door you will set off the alarm when you open it). Drive off to reach 10mph (16kmph), I bet the doors will lock. This is the autlock feature that carsoft also chose to activate in their software.

If you want to set the car to autolock when you open the car with the remote on the key then you need to go back into DIS v44 (or Progman) & make the change to each key under the Key Memory menu. Hope this helps.