Thread: Correct Temp??

My Cars
    97 M3 4Dr, Cosmos/Blk,

Correct Temp??

Today was a hot day out but didn't seem to affect my car much. Did just a little driving back n forth here n there, but wondering if anybody can tell me if my temp gauge is in about the right place? My previous car's temp needle was always pretty low. Ambient temp here today was about 90. This is after driving a few miles and sitting at a couple stoplights.

Does this look about right ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    97 M3 Sedan, Cosmos Blk, Active Autowerks Intake & Exhaust

Computer and HDTV Repair, Residential & Commercial Networking
    http://www.broadviewtech.com/

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Normal

My Cars
    97 M3 4Dr, Cosmos/Blk,
    +1

Thanks man,

Also another question for the next passer by... what conditions is the computer waiting for that tells it to lock the doors after I start driving? Sometimes they lock at 30mph other times I hit 40mph... is it a percentage of open throttle that does it? Or what?

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    ???

My Cars
    97 M3
    The stock temp gauge tells you nothing. Well, almost nothing. If it starts to move up, it's time to pull over, that's what it tells you. It doesn't start moving till 230+ which is already hot.

My Cars
    '98 M3 & '06 ZCP M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blakdeth77 View Post
    +1

Thanks man,

Also another question for the next passer by... what conditions is the computer waiting for that tells it to lock the doors after I start driving? Sometimes they lock at 30mph other times I hit 40mph... is it a percentage of open throttle that does it? Or what?
    I've owned 2 BMW's... '00 328ci and my current e36 m3... none of which ever locked the doors by themselves. Never seen that feature in a BMW...

However, both my cars were coupes, so I don't know if this is possibly a sedan feature? Wait, my brother's old e46 sedan never did that either.. I know Pontiacs do

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by blakdeth77 View Post
    Today was a hot day out but didn't seem to affect my car much. Did just a little driving back n forth here n there, but wondering if anybody can tell me if my temp gauge is in about the right place? My previous car's temp needle was always pretty low. Ambient temp here today was about 90. This is after driving a few miles and sitting at a couple stoplights.

Does this look about right ??
    The needle stays at 12 o'clock when the water temps is roughly between 165-235 degrees.
    Garrett

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Should be dead center.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Yep, normal. Most oil pressure and coolant temp "gauges" nowadays aren't really gauges... they're basically idiot lights that look like gauges. The only time they move is if something goes outside operating parameters and then it's usually too late. Seems like most cars have gone to stuff like this because the general public doesn't understand the details of how engines work. They don't understand that fluid temps and pressures fluctuate quite a bit during normal operation, so rather than grasping what's being monitored the first thing many people do when they see unstable gauge needles is worry that something's horribly wrong. I'm sure dealers got tired of explaining why oil pressure is higher when the engine is cold, or why coolant temp readings go up & down as the thermostat opens & closes. It's easier to use a gauge face so everyone gets the cool/techy airplane cockpit look but then buffer the hell out of it so the readings stay steady. As long as you're in the middle you should be ok.

My Cars
    97 M3 4Dr, Cosmos/Blk,
    I think its slightly tilted right instead of dead center. I've never seen it go beyond that, but I guess since I have doubts I should change it and peer inside the radiator to look for buildup / corrosion etc... Guess now would be the time to do that before I end up stuck somewhere. lol. It's getting upwards of 90deg outside these days.

Thanks for everybody's help!

And the doors locking part... guess I could call a stealership and ask about that. Maybe there's something up with the computer in it? The doors lock every single time I start driving, so I don't think it's a fluke... I just can't figure out what the condition is that trips the doors to lock. They never unlock by themselves... so... I dunno'??

Looks like it's a feature programmed to the key? I thought they were just like RFID tags... no memory but just a serial # in them?
    Er... wait no... if that were true how could they ask if I wanted a valet key or anything. Must be some memory in them.
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/archi.../t-164745.html
    Last edited by blakdeth77; 06-22-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added link

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    ^Check your trunk wires for any breaks.

My Cars
    97 M3 4Dr, Cosmos/Blk,
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    ^Check your trunk wires for any breaks.
    One of my license plate lights is out. Are they wired in series or parallel?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 332is
    YEp, right where it is